iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Absolutely Marcel!

I am looking for some sort of container or box truck to store tools and stuff in. I have Electric so I can also have a Fridge in there.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Not sure about your area or prices now but I bought a double end 40' shipping container delivered for $1250.00. It is big /wide enough to put mu Kubota l4300 inside.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

One day I will have a cold one there with you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

valley ranch

Well Jon, sure looks like you're on your way. Good for you! Will be watching how it goes.

http://www.nevadaservicedogs.org/

Weekend_Sawyer

I had not been up to the lot in 2 weeks. Played hooky from work and went up on Friday.
I had been storing some building supplies under my neighbor's porch and this is what I found when I got there. I'll try using goof off to clean this wall next weekend.

I had been told that there was a 300 lb bear hanging around. He just had to take a bite of the paint can...  I told all the neighbors to check their game cams looking for a large bear wearing pink lipstick!

I finished moving the overburden, which is almost done in this picture, and now have a nice area where I think I'll park my sawmill when I bring it up.

I have been moving a LOT of rocks! Tons and tons of rock. I'll try and get a pic but I have built a 4' tall by abuot 100' long loose rock wall along one side of my property. 

Next weekend we are going to do a layout and hopefully start digging a hole.

Czech_Made

So much nicer to have spray on the wall from bear than from teenagers.

Maybe teenage bear?  ;D

Good luck with your plan, sir.

Weekend_Sawyer

We have taken down what I hope are the last trees.
We had a tree huger stop in to give his opinion on the trees we were taking down.

Actually it's my neighbor Bob cutting up for the camera. There are 7 cabins in our hollow and all are great neighbors.

My brother Chris and I finished excavating the foundation last weekend.

The right corner closest to us is 8' below ground and the left side is at grade.
We have to wait for the block layer to heal from having a herniated disk in his neck worked on so I expect we will start laying block in September. So till then I'll just be doing cleanup and a hundred other little things around the lot.

Jon

Roxie

Say when

WmFritz

Progressing nicely Jon.
If you run out of room to store rocks,  I know TheCFarm enjoys collecting them.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

OneWithWood

Jon, it's those hundred little things that take up most of the time.
Have fun!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

WDH

You might should cobble together a barn raisin'.  Iffin you promise to serve grits, fried eggs over easy, sausage, country ham, red eye gravy, biscuits, melted cheddar cheese, and blueberry muffins on the side with Wildbills' bark honey, you might get some help.  At least from the South of you  :)

I have got some of that Wildbill dark honey if you need it as an attractant  sketti_1
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

and a great big skillet of potatoes fried in bacon grease with peppers and onions.
AND lets not forget the scrapple.  8)

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

WmFritz,I would enjoying giving some away more.  :D
I noticed the lack of rocks there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

The plan is to dig the footers over Labor Day weekend and start the block work the following weekend. In the mean time I purchased a storage container to keep my tools and stuff on site.

This weekend I did some wiring and hung out in it during the rain storms. Nice.

samandothers

Very nice idea!  I bet it is a bit load in it during a rain storm.   

Looking forward to your build. 

WDH

This plan is moving along great.  I know that you are excited. 

thecfarm

Yea,Farm Tables,for people who live in the city. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

Looks to me like you have everything you need.  Why waste time building more stuff?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: OneWithWood on August 10, 2016, 11:28:08 AM
Looks to me like you have everything you need.  Why waste time building more stuff?  :D

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to get a few more, stack them at interesting angles and make myself a habitrail for humanity. ;D

Raider Bill

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on August 11, 2016, 07:12:57 AM
Quote from: OneWithWood on August 10, 2016, 11:28:08 AM

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to get a few more, stack them at interesting angles and make myself a habitrail for humanity. ;D

I considered doing that myself. There's some pretty neat pictures of shipping container homes
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

OK for a guy, but you won't be able to convince your woman to live in a square metal barrel.  They like running water, too  :D.

Weekend_Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!