iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

solo saws

Started by Dean Hylton, October 01, 2004, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean Hylton

Let me start this off by saying this is not an advertisement.  I just started working for a new shop and they are just getting started with the Solo line. I have not cut anything with them as of yet but I hope to throw a bar and chain on the demo I brought home tonight. The model I brought home is  the 694 a 90cc pro saw. My boss ported and polished it before it was even filled with gas. The thing that I found totally interesting is that it has a 2 year commercial warrenty. :o Stihl (my favorite) and Husqvarna (my last job) only have a 90 day commercial warrenty. The other kicker that I found interesting is that this saw is being sold for $750 with a 28" bar and 2 chains and if a customer wants it modified $825.  I can't wait to go play with it. 8) I will let you guys know how it went. Have any of you guys ever had any experience with the solo saws?

Dean Hylton

By the way: after the saw was put back together it was tached  at 14,800.  My boss has had about 12 years experience modifying saws. I am trying to look over his shoulders all the time. I think he is getting suspicious 8)

jokers

14,800 sounds awful hot for that saw, what did he do to it?

I guess that only time will tell if he did a good job or not.

FWIW, I`d consider the "pro" model Solos to be about as good as the other pro lines, they just seem to be more dated technology, more like Huskies and Stihls from 10 years ago.

Their non-pro saws are overpriced in my opinion.

Russ

sawguy21

I have not seen much Solo in recent years but Iworked on some of their pesticide sprayers in the Okanagan orchard country. Very high quality. Certainly, nothing else came close at that time.
However, the big problem still is lack of distributor support, at least here in Canada. Solo never will come close to Stihl and Husky in that regard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SasquatchMan

No kidding sawguy.  I've never even seen a Shindaiwa, Solo, Echo or JD dealer around here.  A few husky shops around, but central AB is Stihl land.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Dean Hylton

jokers- He started by  porting and polishing the jug.  The next thing was to put spacers under the carburetor. The last thing he did was to open the carburetor. My boss wont let me see how he does this part. (side note here) I was hired to turn wrenches for him and after 1 day he yanked me out of the shop and put me on the road as a salesman. I am not sure if this was a compliment or not but I got a brand truck to use and I get paid to drive around checking out the country side talking with loggers all day 8)  He did not get to the muffler for lack of time. Most of the time he duel ports the mufflers.  You can actually hear how this muffler is holding the saw back.  I have seen 2 other saws that where built by him. an 066 that was turning 14,400 ( built yesterday) and an 066 that was turning 21,600. :o This last saw has been out in the woods for 3 months (yes it is being used by one of his buddies) It came back to the shop because the chain came off and tore the tank housing and side plate all to heck and back again. These 2 guys were just joking and laughing  about it, like it was no big deal. It made me pucker and schrival in the nether regions

rahtreelimbs

Sorry! There is no way on God's green earth that an 066 will turn at 21,600 rpm. Even if it could it wouldn't hold up.

::) ::) ::)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Lucky

21K sounds a bit high.  Maybe it was 12,600?

Rich, given some port work, how tight will a 066 spin before it starts losing a fair amount of torque?   John

rahtreelimbs

Quote21K sounds a bit high.  Maybe it was 12,600?

Rich, given some port work, how tight will a 066 spin before it starts losing a fair amount of torque?   John

I really can't answer that. However 21600 rpm is way too high for that saw to spin
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Dean Hylton

I seen the tach after it was put back together. As for how often it is ran and how many hours it will last is probably some where very little for both. The highest I ever got a Stihl 066 is 18,400 and instantly turned it back down for a sale. I lost a fair amount of torque. I ended up turning the fuel mix so rich it would lightly smoke just to keep it at a descent range and from burning up bearings.  I ended up selling the saw turning 12,500 and with really good torque. This ended up being a really good saw and is in use down in Florida.  The customer is really happy :)

Thank You Sponsors!