iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My dumb move of the day was to move my climbing deer stand to a different tree on the back corner of my property in preparation for Rifle season that starts tomorrow. I bow hunt out of a couple of permanent shooting houses with feeders and such but usually the first day of rifle season I hunt out of a climbing stand overlooking a deep draw, a ridge and bench that is a common crossing. Being there also discourages poachers from ignoring the posted signs and coming on my property. Anyway I changed trees and adjusted the back clamps on the stand and climber/seat because the new tree was smaller. To test it I climbed about 20' to check out the view and shooting conditions. As I climbed the tree got smaller so I decided to adjust the bolt to a new hole to tighten the climber/seat. All went well till I dropped the wingnut. I keep a spare in my fanny pack but it was about 30' away at the old tree (with my safety strap). I moved the remaining wingnut to the the shorter bolt and carefully inched down 8-10 inches at a time. Fortunately putting weight on the climber/seat put pressure on the bolt and held/locked the longer bolt in place but it was pretty nerve wracking for this fat old man to be up there that high. I got down safely but will be sure to put a spare bolt and nut back in the stand in an unused hole so it will always be there if needed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Jeepcj, that must have made a terrible racket.  Glad it wasn't worse.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Well, my dumb move of the week involved my Sawstop tablesaw.  I was using my dado blade set and mitre gauge.  Well, with the dado set installed there wasn't clearance and the blades hit the miter gauge.  Before I knew what was going on there was a bang and a jump of the saw.  It's good to know the sawstop works as it should, but that dumb move cost me $199 for a new dado set and cartridge for the saw.  I will be more careful next time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

QuoteI found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast!
I have also heard that "finding" an extension cord buried in the snow with a snowblower will cause similar results. :-X 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

jeepcj779

Banjo, you are probably correct. I have to think the manufacturer included a drive shaft with a slip clutch instead of a shear bolt for a reason. It does require quite a bit of torque to get it moving, so I'll have to consider carefully before I decide to switch the drive shaft I have for one with a shear bolt.

sawguy21

Quote from: Resonator on November 24, 2019, 09:20:26 PM
QuoteI found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast!
I have also heard that "finding" an extension cord buried in the snow with a snowblower will cause similar results. :-X
:D :D I worked in lawn and garden shops, lost count of the number of extension cords gobbled up by snowblowers. Yes sir it is a brand new cord but I cannot cover it under warranty. I sure hated cutting barbed wire out of them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Crusarius

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 24, 2019, 08:49:03 PM
Well, my dumb move of the week involved my Sawstop tablesaw.  I was using my dado blade set and mitre gauge.  Well, with the dado set installed there wasn't clearance and the blades hit the miter gauge.  Before I knew what was going on there was a bang and a jump of the saw.  It's good to know the sawstop works as it should, but that dumb move cost me $199 for a new dado set and cartridge for the saw.  I will be more careful next time.
During one of the AWI shows I was working my booth was directly across from Sawstop. I talked to them extensively. He told me that most of the time the blade is salvageable. Did you bend the blades? I would think that you can pry the aluminum block off of it and continue to use it. 

I could be wrong, but be nice to see what happened to the blade set.

WDH

Howard,

Some of us are getting too old to be climbing trees :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

There were numerous carbide teeth broken off of the blades, which may be able to be replaced, but probably not really worth the trouble.  Also, I'm afraid at least one of the chipper blades is bent.  I can post some pics in a few days when I get home from work.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

Quote from: crowhill link=topic=105351.msg1693873#;Ddate=1574609365But the worst thing I found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast!

I had a similar problem on the axle of a M68 jeep when I was in the army after a night of simulated attacks during an exercise. It sucks when everyone else is sleeping while you lay on the ground cutting (what seemed like a mile of) barbed wire off your rear axle 6 inches at a time. Lesson learned!! ;D 
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Hilltop366

I did the same thing with my bush hog only it was high tensile electric fence wire, can't cut it with regular wire cutters or linemen players very easily ..... cutting torch to the rescue.

breederman

It doesn't take long to wrap about a half mile of electric fence wire around a hay tedder. It takes much longer to cut it out.🙄
Together we got this !

donbj

Quote from: jeepcj779 on November 24, 2019, 10:07:11 PM
Banjo, you are probably correct. I have to think the manufacturer included a drive shaft with a slip clutch instead of a shear bolt for a reason. It does require quite a bit of torque to get it moving, so I'll have to consider carefully before I decide to switch the drive shaft I have for one with a shear bolt.
The slip clutch is a great driveline/gearbox protector. No need to change it at all, just make sure it is operating as it should. Don't overtension it.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Old Greenhorn

A new entry:
 I can't say who, but somebody in my household that was not me saw one of my work jackets hanging on the back of my chair and thought it looked like it needed washing, which was nice. They threw it in the washer, then dryer. 
 When I inquired as to the location of said jacket, the good Samaritan handed me a freshly laundered jacket and I thanked her for doing that for me. Then I realized the pockets felt kind of full. Wow, I said, "you even put all my stuff back in the right pockets, that's amazing". She said 'pockets?' Turns out not only was the jacket cleaned but so were my gloves, pencils, a rag, and my moisture meter. So I just ordered another cheap moisture meter last night. Try as I might I can't get this one working again. Too many corroded little electronical buggy things on the PC board to make any sense out of it. Oh well...... ;D :D :-[ 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

prob. never work again, but take out the batts open it up, and plunk it into a bowl of rice.  and if you wife makes stir fry, watch out for the probes!  that is funny,   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on November 26, 2019, 12:37:28 PM
prob. never work again, but take out the batts open it up, and plunk it into a bowl of rice.  and if you wife makes stir fry, watch out for the probes!  that is funny,   :)
Did all that and more Doc, no go. It's gone. The backlight works, but nothing else. The detergent really did a number on those small surface mount components and IC's on the board. Just all fuzzy green stuff. It's gone.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

I had a favorite wool watch cap that fit just right, which is a real pain to find when your noggin is shaped like mine.  One day I went to put that on and "what the heck?"  It was about half the size it used to be, but all nice and clean and dry.....early on in the marriage, so we had a discussion about wool outer garments and proactively about my cast iron cook skillets and dutch ovens in order to avoid any other incidents... ::) 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Bet it overdosed in the high-moisture environment, then it pegged out again in the dryer by changing directions too fast!  ;D

But, it was a way to get a new moisture meter without an argument!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Oliver05262

K-guy, commo wire is pretty tough stuff, too. Also it comes on pretty long reels.................
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Oliver05262

Of course, I would be the next one who played "el Estupido"...............
 What do you tell your kid when you give him or her a knife to cut something? "Now don't cut towards yourself". 
 cue the warning bells. Red lights blinking. What could go wrong? And I put a new blade in the folding sheetrock knife last night.
stupid stupid STUPID  STUPID

<

Here we are 5 stitches later. And I got to see the inside of the new Pownal clinic set up by Southwest Vermont Medical Center and met some really nice, professional people who took great care of me.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Roxie

At least it's your left hand.  That's the only good news I see here. Probably stung like a bugger.
Say when

Old Greenhorn

That's a bummer Oliver. Now it looks like you are only down to three. (sorry, I couldn't resist)
 At least it was a sharp knife, dull would have been much more painful. 
 Heal up quick.

doc henderson

did it last week.  we had the power damaged to the shop 2 years ago with an ice storm and a neighbors tree branch that fell on overhead wires.  bent the mast, ogled the rubber seal, had to retention the wires to get me by. the stars aligned and a friend had 50 feet of 3 inch conduit, I had time off, so my son and I began placing the conduit. 130 feet pole to meter can.  got a 1/4 inch rope to pull the wires.  stretched it out to paint a line.  My son rolled it up and thought he put it in the shop.  dug and placed the pipe.  blew the fishing line and cotton ball through the pipe to pull the rope.  where was the rope?  my son thought he put it in the shop, but where?  decided it must be under the dirt, so with the back hoe, raked some dirt around thinking I would snag it.  needed a little dirt on the pipe anyway.  may place a 1 inch conduit 18 inches above the power line for cable.  next day.  looked in the shop again.  put a bucket on and moved most of the remaining dirt into piles.  "Wil where did you put the rope?".  " I do not remember".  poor guy. so after moving nearly all the dirt, I told him after class the next day to stop by Lowes and pick up another 36 dollar 150 foot bundle of rope.  he went inside.  the last place I saw it was on a pallet of old fence posts.  was parking the skid steer and as I crossed the trench, picked up one more scoop of dirt at the very end by the pallet,  there it was.  

he did coil it up nice.  now have underground 4-0 ice proof electric service to the shop.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

First thing I ever put sutures was my veterinarian fathers thumb when he had a little accident involving scalpel and a calf,  I think I was 12.
I forgot my log tongs and lifting straps were in the loader bucket the other day when I went to get a scoop of asphalt grindings, some how while the tractor was warming up I remembered to check the bucket..,
Never leave bright orange or hot pink livestock marking paint stick in your coveralls pocket....There's a reason there are two sets of Laundry equipment in the house,,,, ::)

breederman

Orange paint sticks in the dryer do not make momma happy!.....so I have heard . Lol
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!