iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where would you cut the nose on an old cant hook?

Started by shinnlinger, November 18, 2014, 09:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I would certainly recommend the cleat on the nose.  It gives you much more control when the "nose" bites into the log.

I even widened the cleat on one of my Logrites.  I need to do the others.

This old welded on cleat was perfect.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

That is helpful, I could cut up some flat stock with some tips like yours and lag it to the end.  I hadn't thought of making it wider but that is a good idea. 

Thanks. 

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

loggah

Dave, i'm around pretty much,give me a call sometime and well set a time. 536-3740. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Shinlinger, I make very serviceable pickaroons  from old picks I find or buy at the flea markets. I use an oxy-acet torch cut one point off and shape the other with the torch and anvil. I have found a pyramid point the best. The tapered handles are strong and won't pull out of the head. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Poston, be aware its a long trip to New Hampshire, and its all up hill just look at a map. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 24, 2014, 08:57:48 PM
Poston, be aware its a long trip to New Hampshire, and its all up hill just look at a map. Frank C.

:D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

shinnlinger

Frank,

I would love to see a pic of your pick!
I can see how that would work and I have some picks laying around.

Dave
Shinnlinger

thecfarm

POSTON,better put a winter jacket on and bring a shovel. The shovel is for snow by the way.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Dave, sorry on the picture thing. Best thing is to look at a commercial wood handle pickaroon and copy the head. A slight curve and a pyramid point. You would need a special lathe to make a pick handle, one with a tracer. There are many picks laying around as their seldom used anymore. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2014, 06:00:45 AM
POSTON,better put a winter jacket on and bring a shovel. The shovel is for snow by the way.  ;D

:D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2014, 06:00:45 AM

Ray, if Poston is coming for a visit, you better get two shovels warmed up. He'll need one for digging snow and You'll need one for the other stuff he spreads.    :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

I recently took in a "cant hook" on consignment to sell it for a fellow. It is brand new and has as best I can tell never hooked into a log or cant.
I can take a picture with a ruler behind it if you need measurements, just let me know.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

shinnlinger

I don't see how it could hurt this thread Jim.....
Shinnlinger

Jim_Rogers

Here they are:

I haven't measured the length of the handle, yet. But if this is "model 50" the handle could be 50" long. It is a tall one for sure.

I don't know if these help you or not.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!