iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tupelo/black gum

Started by Rhodemont, March 09, 2024, 04:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

I hate this wood.  There is quite a bit of tupelo in my forest land.  It is beautiful in the fall  but some what invasive to my oaks and is really a pia to split.  We had some raw weather today with rain moving in so I choose to split firewood.  Most of it was ash but also some tupelo that had to come down when dropping the dead ash.  It splits kinda ok when really cold out but today at 40 deg it is so stringy and works the splitter hard and takes a lot longer.  Oak is my primary firewood and then maple.  Tupelo dries fast and burns ok but without nearly the BTU.  OH yeah, it is terrible for fence posts also.  Hate it. 
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Don P

The worktable in my shop is black gum, imperfect but tough as nails  ffcheesy. I've used it for a few pegged hidden splines because of its interlocked grain. It is of limited use but it has its uses where that stringy, hard to split grain is what you need. 

Southside

I have "split" a fair amount of oversize firewood logs on my mill, then drop them onto the processor.  You could do the same with that black gum and avoid the hard splitting.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!