iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle door gasket kit

Started by acewoodturner, February 01, 2014, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acewoodturner

I am in the middle of designing my kiln. It will use a Sauno mechanism but will be roughly designed on the Nyle kiln. I really like the way they have designed the door and I was wondering how much the gasket would cost to buy. Is Nyle the best place to buy it from. I am based in Scotland so shipping VAT at 20% and import duty will add a fair lump on to the cost. Is there an alternative I could use such as thin rubber sheeting or something similar.
Thanks for your assistance
Mike

Brad_S.

I used a hollow oval shaped rubber gasket used by garage door installers that usually goes along the bottom of a door. I used it as a seal all the way around and felt it worked fine.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scsmith42

A really heavy duty industrial gasket source is an old fire hose.  The inner portion is rubber, and the outer portion is jacketed with an abrasion resistant material.  Plus you can usually get them for free from a local fire department.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Sawdust Lover

I used my rubber floor mats in my shop. They are about 1/2" thick and I cut them in 4" strips 4' long and placed them all along the edge of the door. There is lots of different possibilitys on making a cheap door gasket that works.

Den Socling

As Scott said, old fire hose works. I have seen commercial conventional kilns use hose on big doors.

Escavader

I've had best results on our large kiln doors using two gaskets side by each big difference in heat loss I use One of those heat checker guns to check for heat loss and there isn't any using two more pricy but we heat with kerosene and every little thing helps the bottom line
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I also have seen old fire hose used, especially for the bottom sweep.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Escavader

I'm looking for something for the bottom to lay in after the door is closed.Don  Lewis said some lay a folded piece of rubber roofing in .we are currently tearing down all four of our chambers  due to rot ,and replacing all new.when they are all done we are hiring a rubber roofing company to do the roof hopefully I get some then.we currently and always have used bark , but it's messy and when it drys out the 4 large fans blow it throughout the chamber
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Thank You Sponsors!