iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Circle Mill set-up

Started by dgdrls, November 09, 2014, 07:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Hey FF members,

does anyone have photos or a link that shows
how a mobile circle mill is set-up to run?
Specifically, I'm interested in how
the power plant is secured relative to the mill
and how the mill is secured.

Thanks
DGDrls

bandmiller2

DG, kinda depends on the type of mill. Belsaws that are driven by a tractor PTO  are easy. I have seen a Jackson lumber harvestor hooked to a one ton truck with a 471 Detroit on the truck bed with a flat belt running to the saw arbor pulley. My first circular mill had long "V" belts with an adjustable link between the engine and the mill to keep the belts tensioned. The problem is keeping the belts tight as ether the mill or the engine wants to move togather and loosen the belts. If the engine is heavy enough and the mill is held tight you can transfer the power. The best lashup for a portable mill is to be driven with a PTO shaft from ether an engine or tractor as it can be setup quickly and easily. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Alligator

Quote from: dgdrls on November 09, 2014, 07:42:24 PM

Hey FF members,

does anyone have photos or a link that shows
how a mobile circle mill is set-up to run?
Specifically, I'm interested in how
the power plant is secured relative to the mill
and how the mill is secured.
DGDrls

25 years ago I was a salesman for this one. Long out of business now. But I see one now and then on the used sites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQwJYQGb4w
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

dgdrls

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 09, 2014, 08:54:36 PM
DG, kinda depends on the type of mill. Belsaws that are driven by a tractor PTO  are easy. I have seen a Jackson lumber harvestor hooked to a one ton truck with a 471 Detroit on the truck bed with a flat belt running to the saw arbor pulley. My first circular mill had long "V" belts with an adjustable link between the engine and the mill to keep the belts tensioned. The problem is keeping the belts tight as ether the mill or the engine wants to move togather and loosen the belts. If the engine is heavy enough and the mill is held tight you can transfer the power. The best lashup for a portable mill is to be driven with a PTO shaft from ether an engine or tractor as it can be setup quickly and easily. Frank C.

Thanks Bandmiller2,  its what I suspected.

Alligator, great clip, thank-you also,  Looks similar to the Jackson Set-up,  big motor on a skid. bi-directional belts.

DGDrls

dblair

I have a portable with a minn moline belt drive . I use trailer anchors that screw in the ground about 4 ft long with an auger on it . the same for the husk and track , one pulling and one holding on the power unit which sits on timbers .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

dgdrls

"Mobile" seems to be a relative term ;)

Makes me really appreciate how far the modern portable mill has come,

DGDrls

Alligator

Funny story behind this video. In 1988 VHS cameras were still fairly new fangled thing and expensive. Mr Windham (88yo) hired my when I was cold calling running a saw sharpening route for a company out of Montgomery. I started the day after Labor Day and he guaranteed me a job until Jan. 1 and 10% commission on company sales. Of course back then there was no internet. Our only advertising was in the back of the lumber trade  mags, but we got 8 to 10 calls a week. I didn't have any way to show our product. So I rented a VHS camcorder made this video one day when we were doing a demo, I also did one of our forklift. (it got lost to time) I started sending the people who called and sounded interested a VHS tape, sometimes both. By Thanksgiving day I had sold 6 forklifts and 3 sawmills. He called me in his office before we left for Thanksgiving and wanted to know how I sold these forklifts and sawmills. He had sold 2 sawmills and 4 forklifts in the last 2 years. (I hadn't told him about the videos) I handed him one of each and left for the holidays. When I returned on Monday he called me in his office. He was madder than hell. He fired me on the spot. I walked out, and then turned around and reminded him about the Jan 1 promise. He said well after Jan 1 then. The 10% commission worked so that I got commission on every thing that was paid for while I was employed. 2 of the forklifts and one of the sawmills was going to Situite Canada. The guy I don't remember his name was so mad when I told him he sent a check for a forklift and a sawmill it arrived Dec. 30> I happily carried to Mr Windham if I remember right it was $40,000. He was mad. They will censor this post if I repeated. Cuss words I've never heard before. 

I later talked to one of the shop foremen, he said that, that was 2 years production. That's why he fired me.

I did get my $4000 commission! I hope the guy from Canada is on the forum I never heard from him again.

Alligator

sealark37

The fellow that I bought my mill from used an old, jack screw type car jack between the husk and his power unit to maintain alignment and belt tension.    Regards, Clark

bandmiller2

The cold hard truth is once you get a circular mill level and the engine and belts aligned you don't want to move it. Band and swing mills are the best choice for a portable mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hacknchop

Mobile Dimension makes a very portable circle mill. Easy to pull and set up.
Often wrong never indoubt

brb

Hey Alligator, do you know what size pulleys were on that mill, and what RPM that Detroit was run at?  Thanks, Brian

Alligator

Quote from: brb on November 11, 2014, 09:07:31 PM
Hey Alligator, do you know what size pulleys were on that mill, and what RPM that Detroit was run at?  Thanks, Brian
I did know in 1988. :D 24" is what comes to mind but it could be a 28". We had almost the same setup for a headrig at our mill with 75 hp electric motor. One had a 24" the other had a 28", but 25 to 30 years later the distinction of which was which is not there any more.

brb

Quote from: Alligator on November 12, 2014, 08:11:05 PM
I did know in 1988. :D 24" is what comes to mind but it could be a 28". We had almost the same setup for a headrig at our mill with 75 hp electric motor. One had a 24" the other had a 28", but 25 to 30 years later the distinction of which was which is not there any more.
Thanks, just trying to figure out speed for the mill I have bought. It was PTO driven but now have a Detroit to put on it and I am gonna use flat belt to start with.

dgdrls

Quote from: brb on November 13, 2014, 10:13:54 PM
Thanks, just trying to figure out speed for the mill I have bought. It was PTO driven but now have a Detroit to put on it and I am gonna use flat belt to start with.

brb,  what mill are you driving?   Would be great to see your set-up

DGDrls

Skidder Kev

My boss has a windham forklift,  It just got a tune-up and still runs good,  does have a few leaks but a good yard machine.  no idea on the yr tho.   Its nickname is "diesel sheep" haha

Alligator

Quote from: kculler on November 14, 2014, 04:19:54 PM
My boss has a windham forklift,  It just got a tune-up and still runs good,  does have a few leaks but a good yard machine.  no idea on the yr tho.   Its nickname is "diesel sheep" haha

Does it have the forward and reverse pedal? When I was there for 4 months that was the design. Ford motor, Allison transmission? I wonder I that is one of the 2 I sold to the guy in Canada? I remember the way the name of the town was pronounced, (Sit - u wit) I have no clue of the spelling. I think it was in Ontario.

brb

I'll post some pictures shortly. I will start a new thread and maybe get a few suggestions from the knowledge on here. 

Brian

Quote from: dgdrls on November 14, 2014, 06:07:44 AM
Quote from: brb on November 13, 2014, 10:13:54 PM

brb,  what mill are you driving?   Would be great to see your set-up

DGDrls

Skidder Kev

Alligator,  it has a lever F/R but does have a ford engine not sure about the tranny in it.   I will try to get some pics of it and start a new post.  I think we have hijacked this one haha .   sorry about that Dgdrls. 

kev

dgdrls

Quote from: kculler on November 15, 2014, 10:06:23 AM
Alligator,  it has a lever F/R but does have a ford engine not sure about the tranny in it.   I will try to get some pics of it and start a new post.  I think we have hijacked this one haha .   sorry about that Dgdrls. 

kev

No worries here,  :)

Best
DGDrls

Alligator

Sorry as well. I read enough different topics, my old memory suffers from topic drift.

Thank You Sponsors!