iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

Quote from: 78NHTFY on September 22, 2020, 11:19:59 AM
g_man--my forwarding trailer makes all the difference.  As a one man operation, it basically replaces the need for a deep woods landing zone: I twitch logs to the side of my trails and use the grapple to pull, cut and stack on the trailer.  No more than 2 hours from leaving my yard to 2 1/2 cord unloaded onto my log deck.  Now have 100 WP logs to saw on the mill.  Average forwarder load is 25 - 35 logs.  Took me 3 days to cut, top and winch trailside.  It will take me 80 - 100 hours to saw, sticker and move stacks.  Couldn't move stacks with my L3350/ loader so with my new-to-me skid steer, that part of the operation is now a breeze with the 5' forks.  Hope you're enjoying this perfect weather.  
chep--nice looking WP!  My favorite to saw.  If you want, come practice your humbolts on my WP--have plenty of that size for ya, 8).  Could even torture a JD 440 B  ;D.
All the best, Rob.

Sounds good Rob. I drool over those Metavic type trailers. Just can't justify one. I have some half decent pine but it seems a shame the little money I can get for it using Hancock thru a local log yard. $250/MBF straight thru. I thought chep stole one of my pictures  :D

gg   

Skeans1

@g_man
Let me guess back bored the back cut? Those small hinges are going to bite you guys one of these days when you lift one right off the stump. Best practice is still to walk a back cut in well pounding wedges it'll actually lift well you're cutting so it's less likely you'll lift the tree off the stump.

g_man

Quote from: Skeans1 on September 23, 2020, 07:32:00 AM
@g_man
Let me guess back bored the back cut? Those small hinges are going to bite you guys one of these days when you lift one right off the stump. Best practice is still to walk a back cut in well pounding wedges it'll actually lift well you're cutting so it's less likely you'll lift the tree off the stump.
That one had the  top blow off last week and was already leaning right. But you are right. I bored in from both sides cause the saw was too short then clipped the back, a la game of logging.  You can see where my side bores didn't line up as good as they could have. I also wanted the hinge to break easy so it would jump off that mound it is on a little better. That was my thinking anyway  ???  But thanks for the advise. About the only reason I cut these is the top blows out or blister rust.

gg

Ed_K

I like the 850 jd loved running one yrs ago in Tx.
Ed K

Skeans1

Quote from: g_man on September 23, 2020, 08:24:21 AM
@g_man
That one had the  top blow off last week and was already leaning right. But you are right. I bored in from both sides cause the saw was too short then clipped the back a la game of logging.  You can see where my side bores didn't line up as good as they could have. I also wanted the hinge to break easy so it would jump off that mound it is on a little better. That was my thinking anyway  ???  But thanks for the advise. About the only reason I cut these is the top blows out or blister rust.

gg
If you want a tree to jump with or without a shallow hinge put in a more acute face angle with a kicker off the stump or the butt that'll do exactly what you want without done the Swedish stump dance of death.

Iwawoodwork

Skeans,   I  think good advise,  I was taught by fallers who had fell several millions feet of mainly old growth Doug fir, big, deep face, good step,  then back it up and no bore cuts unless boring in the back to make a hole for a Duffy Norton jack,(1970'S then we went to the gas powered "timber Tipper" system). For wood like Alder that is prone to barber chair I don't have much experience.

mike_belben

Quote from: g_man on September 23, 2020, 08:24:21 AM
@g_man
You can see where my side bores didn't line up as good as they could have.
I dont care for GOL much but if you want to use it and have all the faces on one plane and dont quite have enough bar to come out the back, notch your face and plunge the heartwood from the front side through the notch, diagonally so the bar pokes out the corner.  Then go around and reinsert in that hole to plunge out and define the hinge.  Cutters here in TN call it 'match sawn' probably only use it on stave or walnut.  Skeans is right, after you clip the sides and gut the heart theres little  more than luck holding it to the stump.
For a GOL hinge with a gutted heart i suggest you double the thickness from a standard hinge so it doesnt lift and tear out then helicopter.   I had it happen twice on spurs and once on the ground which squished my quad. 

Live steering the back cut is way safer imo.  If its heavy lean with no question where shes goin,  plunge in a lock step from the side so it cant chair you into next tuesday.  
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Those white pine are money trees to me. I really can't remember, but I think I was getting more than g_man is now.  :o  That was 20 years ago. I only wish I would of taken some pictures way back than. My Father had some big pine. Three feet across was no big deal. Had many that was four feet across. We cut here for 3-4 years. Really the best time I ever had with my Father. He taught me a lot about how to cut a tree down. He would lay down a four foot stick and tell me to hit. He never said good job when I would hit the stick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2020, 11:32:51 PM
I thought you were down on the 572s Barge? I'm trying to be just like you, you make it tough if you keep changing your mind on me!😂
Good saw now, it got threatened with the 24.5 tire treatment. Took a while to break in, want to start decent. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Ed_K on September 23, 2020, 08:45:58 AM
I like the 850 jd loved running one yrs ago in Tx.
That's been a great dozer, the problem is the drives on them are so expensive to fix, we looked into completely rebuilding them 5yrs ago and it was 13k+ a side back then. 

BargeMonkey

That hose machine just keeps paying for itself, I would have lost the rest of the day on this one. 

Slash right up the driveway. 

She's going back to the shop and getting gone thru, see how that prentice does on my other job. 

Well I guess I'm making friends in business, I will take this as a positive sign 😆 my competition cannot handle constructive criticism, telling another logger I'm going to be eating thru a straw soon.... send it buddy. Firewood wars 2020... 

barbender

😂😂😂 Maybe he just wants to take you to DQ for a Blizzard ice cream treat?😂
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Well I'm not eating thru a straw yet... 😆 
Work harder than an ugly exotic dancer... I'm 40ld behind and the phone doesnt stop ringing. 

I should have bought a newer loader yrs ago, so much nicer than that "toy" sized slasher I had. 

It's not fun getting in here, told the guy on the dozer dont stop 😆. 

nativewolf

what are the pro's and cons of the rotobec grapple?
Liking Walnut

ehp

Barge your alot further into Fall than we are here, leaves are still normal color here , it was almost 80F yesterday afternoon 

Ed_K

We've had a couple of frosts here so the leaves are changing fast. Even the news channels are talking about leaf peepers already.
Ed K

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on September 26, 2020, 08:23:31 AM
what are the pro's and cons of the rotobec grapple?
Rotobec are supposed to be built pretty stout con cost. If you want stout grapples buy a set of west coast made grapples TMar, Pierce Pacific, Jewell are a few that come to mind they're a lot stouter then a set of rotobec grapples.

quilbilly

Just don't get young's, I hate em. I like the T Mar. They're pretty neat, seen a few guys with em. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

@quilbilly 
Never been around a Young Corp grapple other then our high drive 4. What was the company up out of the Alder, Wa that built grapples started with a P.

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

barbender

Barge, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you ARE in fact an ugly exotic dancer, in your spare time😂
Too many irons in the fire

quilbilly

Quote from: Skeans1 on September 26, 2020, 10:15:15 AM
@quilbilly
Never been around a Young Corp grapple other then our high drive 4. What was the company up out of the Alder, Wa that built grapples started with a p
Pierce is the only thing off the top of my head with a P.
a man is strongest on his knees

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: barbender on September 26, 2020, 01:38:01 PM
Barge, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you ARE in fact an ugly exotic dancer, in your spare time😂
OH DanG! Now there is a picture I won't soon be able to get out of my head. Thanks a lot.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on September 26, 2020, 03:17:57 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on September 26, 2020, 10:15:15 AM
@quilbilly
Never been around a Young Corp grapple other then our high drive 4. What was the company up out of the Alder, Wa that built grapples started with a p
Pierce is the only thing off the top of my head with a P.
PMW it took me a while to find again.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: barbender on September 26, 2020, 01:38:01 PM
Hey now... 20.00 is 20.00... 😆  logging gets slow / wet, no good boat jobs, I may have no choice... 😆  

Thank You Sponsors!