iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pocket knives

Started by thedeeredude, December 05, 2007, 06:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

i have near about every knife that has been mentioned plus a few others. i do not have a boker..........yet.
i have an old old parker that i enjoy best cause my fil gave it to me. i carry one that was made in china hack hack spit spit.........but my brother gave it to me and the straight razor blade is really cool and useful to me. i used to carry a knife in every pocket but since i got older(read fat) i am just down to one now. my two boys have carried a pocket knife for a year or so now, they are 6 and 8. folks used to look at me strange when the boys would come up and ask if they could whittle now. they looked even stranger when they took out their knives and sat down to whittle. :o
i love knives they are very useful tools.

Ron Scott

I have a few Case hunting knives. I have a Case XX two blade foding sheath knife that I got in Klamath Falls, Oregon while firefighting out there in 1970. I carried it while firefighting over the years. It is now my primary carry hunting knife and has dressed out quite a few deer.

My Marine Corp knife was a KABAR however. I still have it also and it has become a keepsake after being through some "rough use" and holding up well.
~Ron

barbender

It sure is hard to find a carbon steel blade these days. I disdain stainless blades, I've had a couple over the years that would hold an edge, but they are few and far between. When I was about 14 or so I had this knife, it had a carbon blade- long and skinny, yellow plastic handles, and it was folding. I'm sure it said "Fish Knife" on it. That thing would really take and hold an edge. I wish I knew what I did with it. It is so hard to find a quality product of any type anymore, but knives are a really good example. I'll go in a sporting goods store, look at the multitude of knives, and not be able to find one I like. My wife will say "there are 100 different knives there, you must like one of them!!" Nope, they are all junk. I do like my leatherman wave for its convenience, but the steel in those knife blades is really soft.
Too many irons in the fire

Tom

It sounds like you are describing a "Fruit knife".  The orange grove owners used to carry them for opening grapefruit and oranges.   they have a long thin single blade that folds into a handle and can be carried in your pocket.

Here is a link to a Schrade.  See if this might be it.

http://www.dantesknife.com/images/SS105RB.jpg

thedeeredude

Tom

I like Carbon best too, but, it seems that the top-of-the-line companies now are developing stainless alloys that are a lot easier to sharpen and hold an edge better than the stainless that was first used.  Personally, I don't know one steel recipe from the other, with some exception, and have to make my judgement with use.  That means I have to buy the knife and try it.  I've gotten some downright useless carbon blades in my life.

I also found that ease of sharpening is more important on a "meat" knife than how long it holds its edge, within reason of course.  When cleaning fish, it only takes a second and two swipes on a stone or on a steel to put the edge back into shape.

CHARLIE

And I want y'all to know......Tom can clean fish fast!  I can't keep up with him! Not that I ever tried.  Once, back in about 1970...or around there....I visited him in Jacksonville (I was living in Boynton Beach, Florida).  Tom had a 14 foot motorboat. Just a plain little fishing boat...nothing fancy.  We went fishing in the St. John's river for Sheephead and we caught a mess of nice sized ones.  When we got to his house we started cleaning them. I saw how fast Tom fileted the fish, so I just kinda sloooooowed down. I may have cleaned about five and Tom cleaned the rest.  :D  He never knew I slowed down.....he just thought I was inept.  :o 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

You little *&$(!@#$%! :D

barbender

Thanks for the info Tom, but that wasn't it. I'm almost positive it was called " Fish Knife" . It was kind of the same shape as a normal pocket knife, but stretched out to about 5-6" long. Kind of like a fillet knife, but really it was too short and stiff for that. So I could never figure out why it was called "the Fish Knife" I'll have to do some searching, this is all getting me curious.
Too many irons in the fire

junkyard

Camillus. Wore out or lost several of them over the last 60+ years. The one in my pocket  is about 15 years old. One blade is razor sharp and only used to whittle. large blade is sharp but sees alot rougher use.
                        Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Lud

FOR CARVIN'---CARBON!  Superior edge,  all that.

For handy,  tough, take a decent edge............a day to day beater with nice "feel" and an impressive "open" like a slow motion switch blade,  try the Buck 280 .  Made in USA!  User friendly.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Tim L

I carry a Leatherman and don't hate it .(Wave model)
Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!