Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Some white oak from earlier in the year

D

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

firefighter ontheside

@SawyerTed ooh, while I do want some boxelder, I'm too much of a walnut mizer to do that.  I don't even like letting go of my slabs that I'm selling.  I have this amazing 10' live edge slab that is dried and ready for sale.  The last person that inquired about it asked If I could cut the edges straight.  Whatttt!?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

FFOTS, and the correct answer is "Yes". Once they buy it they can use it for firewood for all I care. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

I sawed up an old red oak log that had been on the ground at a friends farm for more than 4 years, Still had some good timber inside it

After Years Of Being Passed Over, This Log Will Surprise You, - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Walnut Beast

Nice to see that trees people think are garbage have some hidden treasures 👍

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I've got 3 big white oak logs that are in same or worse condition than that red oak.  I got them from someone just down the road.  They were from a big dead tree.  I told my dad he could have them for firewood, but now I may have to mill them.  I'm pretty sure they have some termites, but maybe only on the outer parts.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Don't be concerned about the outside 'cause that ain't where the good stuff is.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

I love it. They don't call you Magicman for nothing 👍

Magicman

Actually those Red Oak logs had lain overgrown with briers for almost exactly 4 years.  Hurricane Katrina took the tree down on August 25, 2005, and I sawed it August 06, 2009.  The lumber was used as finish/trim in the customer's new home.

It is common to saw logs that all of the sapwood has rotted off leaving only the heartwood.  Just saw them as smaller logs.  I also have to "slab deep" on some SYP logs that have lain too long.  An 18" log may only be a 12".   :-X   

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Sawing old logs is always a gamble.  At the least expect stain and bugs.  I try to discourage the practice, even though its good $$$$$'s for the sawyer.

A few days ago I got 1,200 bf of white oak in to saw.  Big logs and one would have made prime lumber if fresh.

This one was the worse.  Even had a little shake for added interest and possibly a crack from crappy felling.

The cracks on the other end were just as interesting.  Absolutly no way to saw around the cracks and all went in at least 8".  A couple went in 2'.

PPB don't like white oak much but if the log lays long nuff they will munch on the sapwood.  I saw plenty of evidence of munching.  I don't even like having the waste slabs around as they will emerge on a nice spring day.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

That's true. But I've seen many old logs on here that looked pretty nice on the inside 😂

firefighter ontheside

I've sawn plenty of logs that looked horrible on the outside.  I've cut lots of walnut like that.  All the sapwood rotted away, but still lots of good stuff in there.  It just means I cut dimensional stuff instead of live edge.  My reason for giving some of them to dad for firewood is that I've got other, nicer logs that I need to saw too.  MIght as well get firewood out of them before they are useless.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

What self respecting sawmill would want to saw a junky yard tree walnut log?  I'm not a self respecting sawmill so I saw anything!

That's not a hole in the log, that's a void.  Holes subtract value but void's add value!

Positioned and trimmed to fit between the guides....close to 32".

Anybody notice a little color in the slabs?

Wouldn't be a yard tree walnut without metal.  Somehow the blade missed whatever is in there.  Bet it took 20 years to get that nice black tone.  Another $$$$ adding feature!

The next log up was smaller but had a really neat curve in it.  Wish I had taken a picture or two of it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Walnut Beast

trimguy

Magicman

Reckon this Walnut log has metal in it??  ::)  ???  smiley_headscratch

Walnut Beast

Magicman

I may be da Magicman but I ain't a magician nor can I do miracles.  :D

firefighter ontheside

Hopefully no more than 2 weeks and I'll have my new engine.  Called WM and that was his guess.  He told me to call back in a week and he would check again.  I have so much trouble with people finding my house.  GPS takes people to the wrong place 9 out of 10 times.  No matter how much I tell them not to trust GPS they still go down my neighbors mile long driveway.  My house is kinda close to his driveway as the crow flies, so I guess that's the problem.  Anyway, I asked my wife to make me a decal to put on the mailbox.  At least I can tell people to look for the orange sawblade.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Cruiser_79

Some red oak on the mill. It saws way better than the crappy azobe I was trying before... Nice straight cuts, although I have the feeling I could saw more with 1 blade. Maybe my sharpening skills should improve. Trial and error...

It turns blue faster than I expected. What do you do to prevent blueing? Cover forks and sawbed with PU coating? And what about roller tables and beds of the edger?

Don P

Does red oak grow there?
You can cover all steel surfaces but it doesn't normally go deep so planes out if you don't leave it in contact for a long time. Once dry that staining stops. Oxalic acid, "wood bleach" removes the stain. If you can't find it, look at the ingredients on some of the deck cleaning products, they often contain it.

Cruiser_79

Quote from: Don P on December 31, 2020, 08:00:18 AM
Does red oak grow there?
You can cover all steel surfaces but it doesn't normally go deep so planes out if you don't leave it in contact for a long time. Once dry that staining stops. Oxalic acid, "wood bleach" removes the stain. If you can't find it, look at the ingredients on some of the deck cleaning products, they often contain it.
Yes it grows over here, it is imported and called American Oak over here. There is white oak as well available. European oak is considered better, and more expensive. 
Okay so it won't get worse when you stack it and let it dry? For my edger it won't be a problem. 
I have one more question about the edger, how do you handle boards wit h one 'clean' side? When milling I get a few boards with one side can't. Thinking of making a adjustable rail/guide that is in line with one of the blades. 

Thank You Sponsors!