Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Bird flu

Started by Ron Wenrich, January 15, 2006, 09:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Poll expires1-30-06

There has been lots of speculation about a bird flu pandemic.  What do you think?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mr Mom

I want to get some chickens but it kinda scary. I know that i have nothing to worry about.

Thanks Mr Mom

Corley5

I'm a bit concerned about it but not losing any sleep over it either.  Pandemics have happened before  :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Modat22

the world is WAY overdue for a major killer pandemic, I am extremly concerned about avian flu.
remember man that thy are dust.

Ianab

The influenza pandemics have happened before, they will happen again...

This year, 10 years time, 50 years time?  Dunno.

Can doctors prevent it.. nope.. for all the advances in medicine they cant stop influenza. They may develop a vacinne...AFTER it strikes, you cant make a vaccine for a disease that doesn't exist yet.

Am I going to loose sleep over it... nope. Still more chance of getting killed in a car wreck driving to work. If it happens you just got to take what precautions you can and hope it doesn't get ya  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Saki

To me, its just like everything else, common sense, good hygiene practices, etc. If it becomes a pandemic, then is the time for a more agressive outlook on things. Has anybody heard about the new mutation of it? Has some very unusual symptoms. In addition to fever, joint aches, pain etc you also have.......

The overwhelming urge to crap on a statue or a recently washed car. ;D ;D

Modat22

I only worry about it because I still have a bunch of things I want to experience before I bite the big one, and theres a pig roast coming up I want to visit and theres a few guys here that I told I'd help out this spring.
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RichlandSawyer

Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

LeeB

I am somewhat concerned in that I work and travel in the parts of the world where it is occuring, or close enough to them anyway. :o LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Max sawdust

Some what concerned.  Will admit that I have thought about it and have an action plan in place, if it were to happen on a large scale.  (Same for other things that cause mass histaria)

Load the shotgun, lock the gate and STAY HOME ;D  Go catch fish and shoot game to eat, so no need to go into town or in contact with other people.

Hmmm, sounds like fun  ::)

Seriously though, my brothers son is leaving for northern Thialand this week, will be staying 6 months right in the heart of Bird flue country.  He is 20 and has no concerns.  ;)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

thedeeredude

I'm just a little concerned.  But I do have a solution.  Kill all the chickens in the world and instead of a pig roast, we'll have a chicken fry and everybody in the world gets chicken and eggs 8)

jpgreen

My Grandmother is 92 still lives on her own- contracted the 1918 flu and survived.  Good thing to for me a should say.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

DanG

I checked "somewhat concerned."  It is bad for anyone to lose their life from preventable disease, but I don't see this one getting out of hand in the industrialized world.  I don't know for sure, but I think you can only catch it from a bird, not from another human.

I heard a report of a Turkish family that lost several kids to it.  Turned out the kids had been playing catch with some severed chicken heads. ??? ::)  Get your kids some pig ears or somethin' to play with, and they'll be fine. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Murf

It's scary stuff, I lost a bunch of ancestors in the big flu epidemic of 1918, modern medicine is only going to go so far.

Now, if yer chickens get the flu, is giving them chicken soup considered bad form?  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

thedeeredude

Quote from: Murf on January 16, 2006, 01:23:56 PM
It's scary stuff, I lost a bunch of ancestors in the big flu epidemic of 1918, modern medicine is only going to go so far.

Now, if yer chickens get the flu, is giving them chicken soup considered bad form?  :D  :D  :D  :D

Chciken Soup for the Chicken Soul :D

Ron Wenrich

We've had avian flu in this country several times.  We've been able to contain those outbreaks, but it caused several farmers to lose all their flocks.

They had something about this on Nova last week.  Viruses need a way of getting from one host to another.  For humans, it is by infecting the lungs so that the virus can be spread from one person to the other, mainly by sneezing or sinus infection.

Birds, on the other hand, infect by droppings.  That means that the GI tract is infected instead of the lungs.  So, keep your shoes on.   ;)

The virus has to mutate to the stage where it can infect the lungs.  They gave a pretty bizarre number and said that the odds were very low.  But, given enough mutations, it might happen.  When can't be answered.  It could be this year, 50 years or never.

Most of the people that were infected in Asia were living with their chickens.  It is also believed that China hasn't reported all their problems with bird flu.

maple flats

Somewhat concerned. Wife and I always have over a full years supply of food in storage and we do not need anything else to survive. We can stay away from everyone else and enjoy each other. I do not loose any sleep over it and don't beleave it will happen but just in case our regular stor of supplies will surfice and if it happens let God's will prevail.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Max sawdust

Quote from: maple flats on January 16, 2006, 09:42:46 PM
Somewhat concerned. Wife and I always have over a full years supply of food in storage and we do not need anything else to survive. We can stay away from everyone else and enjoy each other. I do not loose any sleep over it and don't beleave it will happen but just in case our regular stor of supplies will surfice and if it happens let God's will prevail.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Yup, we are the same way ::)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Faron

Somewhat concerned  Flu usually hits the very young and the elderly the hardest.  I have lots of people I care about in those catagories.  As for me I'm not concerned.  I'd either get well or not.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

iain

"Load the shotgun, lock the gate and STAY HOME   Go catch fish and shoot game to eat, so no need to go into town or in contact with other people. "

thinking maybe fish flu next

iain

Jeff

DId you see the crews in Turkey in their protective suits? Going from flock to flock to flock killing birds. Do ya think maybe that THEY help to spread it across the country?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

When we had avian flu several years back, the inspectors would go from farm to farm to inspect the chicken flocks.  They had protective gear, but no respirators, and cleaned up after each inspection.

After awhile, the farmers started to notice that if their flock was clean, shortly after inspection the birds come down with the flu.

Eventually, a couple of farmers wouldn't allow the inspectors into their houses, but would bring the birds to them.  Those farms stayed free of the flu.

Bottom line was that the inspectors were infecting other flocks by breathing.  The virus was in their lungs and was spread to other flocks.  They didn't inspect too many flocks up close and personal.

Woodcarver

"Somewhat concerned" got my vote.  It will be more of a concern if it mutates so that it can be spread by human to human contact, of course.

I thought that I heard that it had been found in the migratory bird population in Canada, but I haven't heard that mentioned recently.  If it spread to the bird population here it might cause people to give some thought to hygiene around their bird feeders.       
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SwampDonkey

Oprah has been talking about it for the last couple of days. Part two is on today.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))