iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is this some sort of laurel?

Started by Dan_Shade, May 28, 2006, 12:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don K

Dan I believe it is. I don't know the correct species, but we have some very similar to those that I've always heard called mountain laurels. They grow on the hillsides and banks of our creeks here in Clarke County, Alabama.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

I would say it is as well. The individual flowers in those clusters even look like rhodadendron. I've seen alot of wild rhodadendron in Virginia growing in the oak forests. But, rhodadendron leaves are whorled and evergreen.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

I got looking closer at it and I think it's rhodadendron. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Don P

It looks to be a mt laurel to me, taller than ours but the bloom, bark, and foliage are laurel. Ours have been opening this week. The catawba rhododendron are blooming now, the purple ones.

The rosebay rhodies come on in another little while, they have more of a whitish color, but a rhodo has a larger leaf, almost getting into small magnolia size. Rhodies are a pretty good temperarure indicator in the winter. If the leaves are rolled up tight, you better button up good.

Our flame azaleas are also blooming now, its also known as deciduous azalea, it loses its leaves in winter.

The early pinkster azaleas have finished a couple of weeks ago. We do have a minnie bush blooming down on the lower drive, I had stepped around it while pruning the road edge thinking it was a flame, we had to look that one up this week.

SwampDonkey

I didn't realize it, but Rhodendron is also the species name of some laurels. No wonder I was cornfused. ;D :D

Our laurels up here are of the Kalmia species and we have at least 3 I can think of.

Phorester

Yep, you have mountain laurel, Dan.  My most favorite flowering shrub in the woods.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Dan_Shade

:)  i thought it was a mountain laurel, but there's not a mountain within 75 miles of here!  I'm at sealevel too.

they are very pretty this time of year.

Thank You Sponsors!