iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I hate when that happens.  Nice job saving it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I agree with FFOTS, I hate when that happens, but I LOVE when I can pull it out of the whole in a short evening without spending money. A dumb move tha resulted in a WIN, of sorts. Good on ya!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Just in case anyone needs to know they don't build the jacks on log splitters like they used to.  Mine failed miserably when I backed over the splitter the other day with the Lull... >:(  Never even felt it, happened to get off of the machine and bummer - there is my log splitter lying on it's side.  Luckily nothing else was broken so all I need to do is get a new jack.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Well that was sorta lucky, last time I did something like that the tire truck came to visit my tractor. It got too close to the little flipper lever on a coupler on an old trailer sitting in the tall grass I  was mowing. Straight through the bottom of the sidewall it went...barely bent the lever  :-\, missed my turn just that much. 

firefighter ontheside

Well, I was in a hurry this morning to do a small job that took 2 hours to do.  We had somewhere to be and I needed to be done at 10.  As you know, rushing leads to doing something dumb.  I hit a log support.  It threw some pretty sparks.  My customer thought I had hit metal in his log.  He was happy when I told him what had happened.  What sucks is that our plans have changed and I have all kinds of time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RAYAR

Quote from: RAYAR on October 01, 2019, 01:58:34 AM
Now my turn. Was out to buddies woodlot / build site on Sunday afternoon. Was parked on the road / driveway by the first build site and trimming some stumps down a little in an area so I could back in off the road. There was one stump off to one side left so figured I'd get it after backing the truck in past it. Caught it with the right front wheel as I swung around and it momentarily stopped the truck before jumping over it, so continued back a few more feet and heard something under the truck, probably some brush. The tail gate was down and I had set my little Craftsman (Poulan) 40cc saw on it up against stuff in the box. Got out and walked around to the back  and several things from the box were out on the tail gate, so I put things back and then realized my saw was nowhere to be seen, then it struck me. I crouched down and looked under the truck and there was my saw way up under the cab just under the left side. DANG! So I walk up and pull it out and it's not looking too good, the chain brake is tweaked some and the forward handle is also a little tweaked out of shape and position. Now for the bar, it was not looking too good at all. It was really bent out of shape, to the left and also upwards a bit. Well after fiddling with it for a few moments, I put it aside and grabbed my old Husky 61 with a fresh sharpening and raker set and used it for the rest of the afternoon. Now that's a saw that performs well! It's the one with the aluminum chain brake handle, yup, one of the older ones.

On Monday afternoon, at home, I figured I'd go out and see what I could do with my poor little saw. Fixed up one of the anti-vibe mounting springs for the forward handle and it's not looking too bad now. OK, grab the poor looking bar, which also has the rack and pinion slack adjustment built in, and see what I can do about straightening it. Wasn't easy, but after an hour or so, I had a curved and bent piece of junk looking like a bar again, was mainly bent next to the mounting end, but also a curve in the middle of it the opposite way. Put it back on the saw and had to work on the chain brake mechanism to get it operational again. After that, I sharpened the chain, wasn't too dull, and then filed the rakers as they're needing to be done. Fired up the saw and ran it for a minute or two and you'd never know it had been a wreck, no replaced parts and it ran good. Should've gotten a few pics, but I didn't.

Oh, that stump I ran over got trimmed down with the Husky. Wasn't a big stump either.

Used my saw today that I backed over last week. You'd never know it had been, worked great and for a 40cc consumer saw, it rocked! Of course knowing a thing or two about filing chains and having the proper equipment to do so helps. I used to make a living working in the woods many years ago.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Resonator

My best repeat customer asked me to help move out of his old house, and into his new house. While cleaning out his old garage, he told me he had bundles of extra shingles he saved from when he redid the roof, that if I wanted them, I could have free. Sure I'll take them, why not! So I flipped down the tailgate on my pickup and opened the back window on my topper, and started to back up into the garage to load them. SMASH! Folded my topper back window almost in half, shattering the glass, pushing against the top of the garage door opening. Lesson learned, always check your clearance, Clarence. Funniest part of the story, it didn't even leave a scratch on the old garage, which is slated for demolition. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sawguy21

OUCH! That is an expensive mistake.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Man, I can't tell you how close I came to that a number of times. I caught myself every time and got lucky. Sorry you got crammed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Not terribly bad, I see entire used toppers for $100 (or free) on CL all the time. I told my customer (a car collector) to find me the soft back window out of an old convertible, then it won't happen again. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

Whoops!  Yeah, things happen.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

East ky logging

I done something kind of dumb yesterday,my dog thought it was real dumb. I was sanding with a belt sander and had the trigger lock down sanding away and the electric went out. I rolled my chair up by the table and he jumped in my lap and we was both taking a nap. Well the electric came on and before we could get our eyes open we had a running belt sander in the chair with us. He's still not talking to me  :D.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

WV Sawmiller

Maybe he will when the hair on his butt grows back. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

I bet the look on your and the dogs face was priceless. :D

samandothers

Sorry had to laugh at that one just from the vision of it happening.  Glad no animals were injured in the making of this opps.  It can be a bad thing if folks had stoves or ovens on when similar occurs and they don't turn them off.

firefighter ontheside

I guess it's time for a magnetic switch for your sander.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

:D :D I'm sorry, that is just too funny. Bet you release the lock every time you put it down now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

Thankfully it wasn't a big fire but it was exciting for about a minute!

I was fabricating some parts for a project this afternoon and was using the bench grinder to clean up some rough edges on some parts.  I didn't notice the wad of steel wool on the bench behind the grinder where the sparks go out the chute until the bright glow caught my eye.  Needless to say the steel wool caught fire on the bench.  Fortunately my welding gloves were on the temporary work bench behind me.  I quickly slipped them on, picked up the steel wool, dropped it on the concrete floor and stomped it out.  The bench nor any other stuff caught fire.  Feeling thankful it wasn't worse and feeling a bit humble tonight.

I have no idea where the steel wool came from, I keep it in an entirely different building.  But The Doc and my adult children use the shop on occaision.  That's not an excuse but a possible reason the steel wool got there. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crusarius

I can't tell you how many times I set my shop on fire. Good news is it usually does not spread.

Nebraska

Geez everybody must be on good  behavior as far back as I had to go find this.
 So yesterday I had a gorgeous afternoon milled an elm log off of the firewood  pile that I had second thoughts about burning,   it had laid in a pile for 2 or 3 years came from my grove behind the house. It was very pretty inside....minus the nail not a single mineral stain to give It away , didn't even cross my mind to check it. Go figure... 
one blade... 
New blade on make three cuts, it's a thick  live edge, last cut don't have the stopper down the blocks me from sawing my clamp.....yeah  just barely dinked it.  Finished the cut with a thrashed blade. New blade number two ....last thing I did was cut a dry ash log into stickers kinda crooked about 10 inches.  Kinda crummy wavy cuts on some of passes....   just thought oh well, a dud , dull,not a good band I'll finish these stickers and put it up.  Cleaned up, pushed the saw in the shed, reached down to detension my blade......
Ever notice that a blade cuts better under tension. ::)

WDH

:D :D :D

Keep your blades tight and your eye on the ball ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

:D :D

Laughing with you, not at you. 

There's always something. 

I can't even throttle up without tension on the blade or I'm sure I would have done that. That still leaves me plenty of things to overlook though. 

I think it's remarkable that you sawed at all with out tension. So that's kind of an achievement.  :D
HM126

Nebraska

Not sure how it even stayed put. I had just turned the handle enough to check if it tracked ok, and put the blade guards on....Then I must've went and grabbed the log off the pile and went merrily sawing away.. It was three full turns short of tight.  8) Glad the good Lord watches out for me, that's a clatter bang noise no one wants to hear.

Southside

My blade tension handles are painted bright pink for that exact reason.  More than once it has saved me.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@Southside at least your tension handle matches your shoes! :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!