iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is a first.

Started by B.C.C. Lapp, February 16, 2024, 08:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

I need a couple new saws, its past time to replace a few.    I was going to grab another 362 Stihl and a 462.  The shop I've been using had neither in stock.   They are going to call me when they come in.   But I've been waiting THREE WEEKs now and they still arn't available. 

That interesting thing is the shop is trying to talk me out of those saws altogether and into a couple Echo saws.   That is a first for me.   Never saw a parts and service guy saying he wouldn't buy stihl and would go with Echo.   He tells me he is selling more Echo's to the loggers and tree service guys than stihl and he also says he can always get echos in.  He states Stihl wont even tell him when the saws will show up.  

You know what, I'm not against trying something new at all.  But there is one thing holding me up and that's that I have so many Stihl parts and parts saws to get parts off of.   Anvbody that uses saws every day know how important that is.   Having parts on hand is a big deal.   If I go with Echo saws I start all over. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

hedgerow

I have been around a fair amount of Echo's and my top handle is a Echo and I like it but there are things like the chain adjuster that is just cheaply made. If I used it every day I would have a Stihl. I have a friend that his whole saw line up is Echo and he bought Echo because of the cost of Stihl. I find it funny that when we cut wood together he is always wanting to run my 461 and the 261 also. Not for sure what is going on with your saw shop but I bought another 261 in Dec last year and the JD dealers in my area were full of saws on the shelf. If it was me I would stay with Stihl. 

realzed

Sounds to me like you might require a new or better Stihl dealer..

Maybe he has pi**ed off Stihl somehow and they aren't giving him the time of day for some reason but I'm sure those saws would be available elsewhere..

I would personally consider a 400 before a 362 - not no doubt there would some extra cost, granted - but from what I've read, if the extra money isn't too much of a problem the 400 would be the real deal to get..

barbender

I've always ran Husky and Jonsered (RIP) saws, the last few years I've gotten a couple of Stihls. I'm starting to realize, I still prefer the Huskies. Nothing stark, they both do the job. I just like the feel of them better. A guy likes what he likes. My go to saw is a Husky 562xp, I also bought a Stihl 500i because someone was selling it cheap. I kind of wish I would've just got another 562, the 500i is just way bigger than I need. 

I realize it isn't apples to apples to compare saws of different size classes, but overall they feel differently in the hands. Husky saws feel more nimble to me, like the mass is more centralized maybe. 

I'm not promoting one over the other, what I'm trying to say is, "stick with what you like".
Too many irons in the fire

lxskllr

Sounds to me like he's trying to get rid of saws he can get. It might be fun for you to buy one echo just to see what they're about. I love my echo saws but I'm not a pro beating them up every day. I am a dedicated amateur, and use my saws more than the average bear. I wouldn't feel bad about starting a tree company with almost 100% echo gear. I need at least one saw from the big two, cause echo doesn't go as big. Anyway, if money isn't a stress, get an echo to tide you over til your Stihls come in. You can sell it, use it as a firewood saw, or maybe you'll love it, and start running some echo.

ladylake

I like my Echo saws, run great, good power realiable, easy to get parts online that are priced good, easy to work on and good prices plus they have grunt not finicky  high end only power.   More and more are switching to Echo .Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ihookem

I have had Stihl for 35 yrs. Then I bought an ECHO 620P and a 501P. I like both saws . The 620 is a bear for the size, and the 501P is suck a nice saw that I all but stopped using the Stihl 026.  However, I wish I would have just bought a Stihl 261. Here is why. I already have a Stihl 441 . Nice saw , fast but finicky. The ECHO 501 is very close to the Stihl 261. The ECHO is a 25 yr. old carb saw... They are real nice, but the 261 is more advanced . I can switch bars with my 034 and 441 . The Stihl bars last a lllooooong time. I hear the ECHO bars are not so good China made..  Both brands feel different,, can't say I like one over the other , but I can't just switch bars neither.  Say I go through a few extra bars on the ECHO's. DId I save any money in the long run? The ECHO's use more gas.. 

ehp

Instead of the 362 get the 400, its the same saw just bigger bore and more power , 462 is better yet and unless you need real power its all the saw you need , 500i is more power but also burns a fair bit more fuel and lot more cost , 400 is a very good mid saw for most people 

lurk

Thing I've found with ECHO products is they like a few tanks of fuel through them before they come alive.
My FF Gallery
TGMForum The Garden Machinery Forum

21incher

Definitely they perk up after a couple tanks of fuel. Then I take the saws back to my dealer and he does a final check of the tune. I wouldn't go back to Stihl after how easy all my echos start. The wackers sip fuel compared to my old Stihl wackers. Plus a great dealer nearby.
We lost 2 local Stihl dealers recently.  Was told by one that Stihl started pushing  homeowners stuff on them and that's  not what his customers wanted plus dealing with inexperienced customers wasted a lot of time. There isn't  enough profit in the low end stuff to cover that especially them selling in big box stores like Runnings right down the road.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

khntr85

What size of bar will you be using and what kind of wood will you be cutting

Spike60

I smell a rat here. Think about this a minute. I've seen/heard this and similar scenarios play out dozens of times over the years. This likely has nothing to do with stihl vs echo. Sounds to me that he dealer is in hot water with Stihl. Deep enough apparently that he's trying to push the Echo product because that's all he can get. Key question is do other stihl dealers in the market also have trouble getting saws? Product shortages are not confined to individual dealers. And they are typically model specific vs "cant get anything". And the assertion that a large segment of his customer base all of a sudden prefers echo over stihl sounds kind of Disneyland to me. 

Steve's comment that "more and more are switching to Echo" needs some context. Echo makes good stuff. Certainly good enough that they will gain some market share at the expense of the "Big 2". Yes, they have the product to do that. But also keep in mind that after Husky and Stihl, there's nobody left. They no longer have to compete with any other second tier brands like Jonsered, Efco, or Dolmar/Makita, which was all the rage on these forums not that long ago. Please don't misread my comments. Second tier, refers to market share, not product quality. I do hope they get a solid foothold, because 2 isn't enough. And since my Jonsered bias remains, they look better in Shindaiwa red. ffsmiley

It's one thing for a dealer to experience a tight checkbook for one reason or another. But fabricating an alternate reality to your customers like this dealer seems to be doing isn't going to solve the problem. Probably only a matter of time until he can't get Echos either.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Spike60 on March 03, 2024, 08:45:22 AMI smell a rat here. Think about this a minute. I've seen/heard this and similar scenarios play out dozens of times over the years. This likely has nothing to do with stihl vs echo. Sounds to me that he dealer is in hot water with Stihl. Deep enough apparently that he's trying to push the Echo product because that's all he can get. Key question is do other stihl dealers in the market also have trouble getting saws? Product shortages are not confined to individual dealers. And they are typically model specific vs "cant get anything". And the assertion that a large segment of his customer base all of a sudden prefers echo over stihl sounds kind of Disneyland to me.

It's one thing for a dealer to experience a tight checkbook for one reason or another. But fabricating an alternate reality to your customers like this dealer seems to be doing isn't going to solve the problem. Probably only a matter of time until he can't get Echos either.
Nope. No rat here spike.   The dealer I'm talking about is one of the largest and most successful tractor and power tool supplies in the area.  They are a huge business and have been around over 40 years.     And its the same at every stihl dealership around.  They just are not getting stihl pro saws in.   Nobody seems to know why and stihl ain't saying.   I've had orders for these saws in at three dealerships for over a month now.   Not a single saw in yet. 
No this isn't about dealerships, this is a problem with Stihl.   

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: ehp on February 17, 2024, 08:15:50 AMInstead of the 362 get the 400, its the same saw just bigger bore and more power , 462 is better yet and unless you need real power its all the saw you need , 500i is more power but also burns a fair bit more fuel and lot more cost , 400 is a very good mid saw for most people
I have two of the 400's ehp.   Liked them st first. But they seemed like they got tired quick.   They spend most of their time holding the shelf down.   When someone needs to borrow a saw, I hand them one of those 400's.

Spike60

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on March 03, 2024, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: Spike60 on March 03, 2024, 08:45:22 AMI smell a rat here. Think about this a minute. I've seen/heard this and similar scenarios play out dozens of times over the years. This likely has nothing to do with stihl vs echo. Sounds to me that he dealer is in hot water with Stihl. Deep enough apparently that he's trying to push the Echo product because that's all he can get. Key question is do other stihl dealers in the market also have trouble getting saws? Product shortages are not confined to individual dealers. And they are typically model specific vs "cant get anything". And the assertion that a large segment of his customer base all of a sudden prefers echo over stihl sounds kind of Disneyland to me.

Nope. No rat here spike.  The dealer I'm talking about is one of the largest and most successful tractor and power tool supplies in the area.  They are a huge business and have been around over 40 years.    And its the same at every stihl dealership around.  They just are not getting stihl pro saws in.  Nobody seems to know why and stihl ain't saying.  I've had orders for these saws in at three dealerships for over a month now.  Not a single saw in yet. 
No this isn't about dealerships, this is a problem with Stihl.   

Where are you located? Problem like that ought to be fairly widespread. Husky is doing some kind of 20% off on pro saws right now. Ought to stir up the whole market with that move. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Log-it-up

My two pennies worth 
I just switched from husky to echo x series I bought a cs- 7310 and 620p it's there 73 and 62 cc saw ran them all winter they kinda feel like running and older 272/372 husky very simple still fully carbureted small toggle switch for on/off 
A few reason I switched was I was sick of tighten chains it seemed like every pine or few hardwood trees I cut the scrench was coming out, and in the cold of winter when you plunge cutting hard wood I was often messing up the chain tighteners it's self, witch brought me too ordering parts through sub par dealers that are in my area which could take a week or two to get, stuff happens I know I'm ruff on saws but I was really only getting a year out of them before something major happened so cost played out in the decision to switch, I ran the 7310 most of the winter with only one self induced issue, my only real big gripp with echo is the top end power they kinda fall on there face could be I never brought them back to get retuned or just the fact of running the auto tune husky from before kept rpms and power more balanced when cutting bigger wood 
( I had a 562 and 572 husky from previous)

RetiredTech

I don't make a living with chainsaws, but my two newest saws are both Echos. The most recent is the 620. My opinion is, I would not hesitate to buy Echo again. No bells and whistles, just good solid saws. They run good, idle good, and are easy to start. You can't ask much more, it's only a tool. I don't get hung up on name brands. I just do the research and buy what looks like it will work for me. If I buy a saw or any tool and decide I don't like it, I'd sell it and buy something else. It's not like you're married to it. Good luck and Happy Sawing.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Tacotodd

I know that I sure do like the CS501P that I've got. It's strange though: it's almost exactly $100 more than the 4910, but all relevant parts are even the same pt#. Curious. The only thing different that I've actually found was the handle bar. 4910 is plastic while the 501 is aluminum. It's been money well spent in my opinion. 😉
Trying harder everyday.

lurk

Quote from: Tacotodd on March 04, 2024, 10:32:44 AMI know that I sure do like the CS501P that I've got. It's strange though: it's almost exactly $100 more than the 4910, but all relevant parts are even the same pt#. Curious. The only thing different that I've actually found was the handle bar. 4910 is plastic while the 501 is aluminum. It's been money well spent in my opinion. 😉

My FF Gallery
TGMForum The Garden Machinery Forum

ladylake

Stihl cheeping up their lower end saws is catching up to them,  more and more are turning to Echo.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

ladylake
No point in you continually dissing Stihl. Not what the FF is about.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

The fact is that Stihl has cheapen up their lower end saws a lot since 20 years ago and it's catching up with them.  I really have no time for companys using their once good name to sell cheap junk.  Steve

Magicman

Steve, I am curious as to which saws you are referring to as being "cheapened up low end saws". 

I wanted a small light sawmill saw so I bought an MS170 which was the cheapest saw that Stihl was offering.  Saw, chain, files, & 6 pack of oil out the door for less than $200.  This saw has never faltered but it was too small (hp) and it is now serving the farm as it's "small" saw after I bought an MS261 to serve as my small sawmill saw.  I bought the MS261 simply because I could.

Six years ago, I was using an MS310 as my large sawmill saw but it did not have a compression release and my arthritic hands could no longer pull the cord in cold weather.  This of course was the cheapest 59cc saw that Stihl offered.  I replaced it with an MS362 because it was a bit lighter than an MS311 and again, because I could.

The 170 and 310 are now serving the farm as road clearing and firewood saws.  Neither have ever showed any quality issues.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

You answered your own question, you had lower level saws which are heavy and under powered  to keep cost down for their size, the 170 light but really under powered . Now you have good pro saws.  Steve

lxskllr

I'm not sure it's fair accusing a $200 saw of being cheap. I picked a 170 up that was NOS for all intents and purposes, and it's a pretty good saw for what it is. Much better than a poulan for only $50 more, and though it complains a bit about pulling a 16" bar, it does alright. The biggest flaw imo is not putting a side tension adjuster on it. There's no excuse for a front tension adjuster in 2024. I think the echo 2511 is a better saw in that general class, but it's also > twice the cost. That's like saying a Lexus is better than a Corolla. Yea, everything can be better when you throw money at it, but the Corolla will still get your groceries, and the 170 will still cut wood.

Thank You Sponsors!