iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you keep the moisture in a log

Started by alsayyed, April 05, 2007, 05:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello I have this question which is cannot find complete solution for this small problem.
Normally when a tree is been cut people tend to seal both side with especial sealer or maybe they place paint. My question.
1 - How many days/month normally takes to log to start cracks from inside?
2- Do you think it advisable to spry water daily on the log in order to keep it filled with moisture?
What is the best method to keep the log wet without sealing it?
Thank you

Radar67

Around here, the mills either place the logs in holding ponds or set sprinkler systems up on them.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

I would not wet the log unless you keep it constantly and totally wet.  Otherwise, occasional wetting will only serve to create a perfect environment for decay.  If you keep the log constantly and totally wet like Stew says in a pond or under sprinklers, you create anaerobic conditions where there is not enough oxygen for the bugs and fungus (that degrade the wood) to survive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteHow many days/month normally takes to log to start cracks from inside?

Around here in the summer, an oak log will start to split within a few hours.  I seal them as soon as possible after bucking to length.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

dboyt

What kind of log?  Light color wood, especially softwoods pick up blue stain in a couple of weeks, if you don't cut & dry them.  As far as cracking, I put on a coat of anchorseal on the ends of the good stuff (walnut & cherry).  I don't worry so much about oak, though I probably should.  Good idea not to leave logs laying around in the summer.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

metalspinner

One other thing I try to do is have the log ends facing north and south.  The ends that face west crack like crazy even with the ends sealed.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

bedway

I read an article this morning that said that grey roof sealer/water proofer works nearly as good as the expensive stuff, for much less cost,,bedway

Dan_Shade

one nice thing about the wax emulsions (at least the clear ones), is that it allows you to look for the heart/pith and saw to that.  You can't see the growth rings with the roof coatings.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Excellent point, Dan.  I have used aluminum roofing paint, and it does a great job, but you lose all ability to see the growth rings on the cross-sectional ends of the log.  I now use Anchorseal.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

The other nice thing about using Anchorseal versus paint, etc is that it doesn't hide the tell-tale black spots on the butt that indicate metal in the log...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

bedway

Excellent points you all bring up about the roof coating vrs. anchorseal. Being the novice here, i like and appreciate the education,,  :),,bedway

mdvaden

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 14, 2007, 12:02:28 AM
The other nice thing about using Anchorseal versus paint, etc is that it doesn't hide the tell-tale black spots on the butt that indicate metal in the log...

How far from metal can the spots extend? Makes sense, but I don't run into that enough to know. Just curious, since I'm mainly into pruning.

Dan_Shade

the black spots can go several feet, not sure how many, though.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!