iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gear (packs, boots etc?) for forestry school?

Started by Akdoiron, February 16, 2014, 03:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akdoiron

I'm curious about this and was wondering if it is recommended to have some gear ahead of time before going into a forestry program? I couldnt find anything specifically about NAU, but other's i have looked at recommended lug soled boots, hard hat, good pack etc.

Not looking for a reply to ask my school but just in general did you guys have anything starting out that you were glad to have?

My hunting/upland boots are a pair of 8" chippewa's with lug soles so i think im ok to keep using those, but as far as packs go, i was going to buy a good daypack for bowhunting and was wondering if i should i also take into account using it for forestry stuff as well, as I understand that alot of the work is hands on.

did you guys use/need a good daypack, orienteering compass etc? or anything else essential, rather buy it now and once while i have some money and a job, than later on.

thanks, Adam

RynSmith

BuckeyeAaron

The only thing you'll need is a decent pair of boots. Everyone will have their own preference for boots. I wouldn't buy anything else until you know you need to. During all of college experience every piece of equipment, even cruising vests and hardhats, were provided. They were obviously communal and were only provided for labs but I never had to spend any of my own money. I'd wait if I were you.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Mark Wentzell

We needed to buy all our own gear. Get a good cruising vest and a good pair of boots, waterproof is a necessity. Get good rain gear too, the extra money you'll spend will be worth it. I have a cheap 40$ set and I would sooner  get drenched than wear it. You will probably want to have a compass, get one with a mirror and don't forget to set the declination. 

celliott

We needed steel toe boots, a hardhat, silva ranger compass, raingear and snowshoes, I think that was all that was required for our first year. Other equipment was generally provided if needed.

Definitely good boots and good outdoor type clothing. Wool is awesome if you're working in colder weather. I have a Filson tin cloth jacket and I love that.

A good clipboard with a lid is handy. Also "rite in the rain" notebooks are nice too. Most outdoor labs will still go on, rain or shine.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CJennings

I wouldn't buy anything until you know you need it, other than good clothing which you'll want. AZ has a different climate than I'm used to so I can't help you on what you'd need there for that. I do know in Maine there were some pretty wet and muddy labs last semester. I needed a hard hat but maybe you'll have one provided. I must be the odd man out on cruiser vests, I've just used my orange hunting vest I already had. I'm kind of cheap that way.

BuckeyeAaron

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

celliott

Quote from: CJennings on February 17, 2014, 06:08:07 PM
I must be the odd man out on cruiser vests, I've just used my orange hunting vest I already had.

I never had one in school. Don't think I saw any of my fellow students wearing one either.
Now, when I was cruising this summer, as a job, I did need to get one. Pretty much wore it out too.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Woodboogah

On your first day you will most likely get a list of stuff you will need to get on your own.  Like mentioned above your labs will go on in most weather.  If you get snow and dont have snowshoes that or a good pair of gaitors (these will come in useful in the rain, mud as well).  Good rain gear will be key. A quality clip board, probably one that opens so you can keep papers, handouts, lab instructions out of the weather when not in use.  You will find out pretty quick what will work for you, everyone has there own preferences.  Good luck and have fun!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

John Mc

Have you considered writing the school and asking what you'll need and what they provide?  I'd hate to spend money on something they were going to provide anyway. Also, you'll probably learn a lot about what works and what doesn't as you try out their stuff.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ashes

Quote from: celliott on February 17, 2014, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: CJennings on February 17, 2014, 06:08:07 PM
I must be the odd man out on cruiser vests, I've just used my orange hunting vest I already had.

I never had one in school. Don't think I saw any of my fellow students wearing one either.
Now, when I was cruising this summer, as a job, I did need to get one. Pretty much wore it out too.

Same story here. Most students that haven't worked summer jobs don't have much equipment/gear. In labs for your classes you will get an idea of what works and what you need. I'll agree with everyone else that quality rain gear is important. Don't skimp there. Other than that have fun and good luck to you. If you are new to forestry, I would recommend spending as little as possible on gear until you know you are really going to be interested in working in the industry. I have watched more than a few people go all in on expensive gear/boots and then decide they really didn't like it after it was all said and done.

Here at Humboldt State nobody wears vests or carries tadums for school stuff. Summer work on the other hand I wore a vest daily and also wore that thing out. Carried a tadum everyday and wouldn't do it any other way. Probably look at getting some boots for summer work to. You might not need them, but you would burn through hiking shoes in the woods :D

pappy19

If you invest in a good pair of White's Logging boots, they will last you a life time.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Scottman22

Quote from: BuckeyeAaron on February 17, 2014, 07:15:23 PM
Quote from: celliott on February 17, 2014, 02:43:54 PM
"rite in the rain" notebooks

These are worth their weight in gold.

+1  My first time cruising timber in class it poured down rain.  no electronic devices were used (why bother? and who has the money for that sort of thing anyways?)  needless to say, my tally sheets looked like anything but a legible tally sheet.  my dots and dashes turned into blurs and, well blurs.  It was a team effort on this trip and we made it work though.  And our volumes and tree tallies were pretty close.

Thank You Sponsors!