iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tall tree est 20 dbh Can you help me narrow it down.

Started by terrifictimbersllc, September 27, 2020, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Probably 70' tall 20" dbh light gray sort of scaly bark at least 35' to first branches. Can you help me narrow it down. Connecticut yard with lots of other tall trees.  

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kantuckid

I'd go with blackgum- not so much the Tupelo in CT???
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

WDH

Water Tupelo, Nyssa aquatica, is very similar but has larger leaves and tends to grow in wet areas.  It is only found in the Deep South.  Blackgum, also called Black Tupelo,  grows on many sites, from the bottomlands to the uplands, and is native to most of the Eastern US. It is often referred to as "Tupelo Gum".  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

One of the keys to identifying them are the two leaves at the terminal bud.  
Caveman

WDH

Pith is diaphrammed.  Fruit is a small blue/black drupe. 

mike_belben

Its a prolific seeder that is very shade tolerant and will easily take over an understory.  If some high grader opens up some light, poof.. You get a gum forest.  Usually in conjunction with red maple for me.  I struggle to keep these two in check so the oaks can have a chance.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!