iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Yooper connection

Started by Jeff, June 05, 2007, 09:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This is my first test of what I have put together so we can be up north working on our property for days at a time and still be on the forum and take care of all our internet needs and other web customers.  I have most of the programs I use daily stuffed into this laptop now. I am currently connected to the internet via my cell phone with only two bars of service. Thats about what we get right at the cabin.

I just uploaded the above photo and it took 1001 1002 1003 1004   only about 4 seconds. :)

We added a wireless keyboard and mouse yesterday as you can see in the photo. That makes it much easier to use. I just cant type on that litttle keyboard or work those finger pads.  I just need to download spampal and thunderbird to get my email set up and this baby should be good ta go!  We can even use it in our woods as we get better recepetin there then at the cabin.  :)    Maybe a webcam one day from da wilds of da U.P. eh?  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

It took me 11 seconds from the time I hit the post button until I was able to hit reply for this message. I can live with that in exchange for what were getting. 8)

Tom

Your keyboard is bent!  You must've sat on it.  :D

Texas Ranger

I cannot wait till he gets his first cell phone bill 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

I have unlimited long distance within the U.S. but the internet service is separate. We had to buy the wire to connect, and the service is 24.95 a month unlimited connection within the U.S.

Raider Bill

Jeff,

You sent that file that fast with 2 bars on your cell phone?
I'm pretty much without internet access while in Tenn but if I could do something like that at least to check my emails and this forum I would be a happy wannabe hillbilly!

Of course I'd have to buy a laptop, any suggestions?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

TexasTimbers

I loved the wireless keyboard and mouse for a while but with the way I move around it was just easier to get used to the cramped notebook keys.  :-\
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dave Shepard

I'd have to get the extra keyboard, as my XXXL gorilla paws don't fit on laptops.  ;D

Sounds like that setup is still as good as dialup. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I was getting around 4k per second when it was downloading an avg update.

Raider Bill, just for email and internet, you don't need much of a computer. :)

Jeff

That wireless keyboard works well from up to 20 feet away.  I set Jeremy up last night. He stopped by and was using the laptop where you see it set.  I had the keyboard over here. Both will work at the same time. ;D   He didnt know what was going on as I had not told him about the keyboard yet. :D

Raider Bill

I guess it's time to whip out my consumer reports magizine and check them out.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff B on June 05, 2007, 10:41:06 AM
I have unlimited long distance within the U.S. but the internet service is separate. We had to buy the wire to connect, and the service is 24.95 a month unlimited connection within the U.S.

Just make sure you don't get connected to a Canadian tower. I have had that happen fishing the St. Mary's. Your bill can go up fast.

Jeff

I've have friends in Stalwart that have that happen when they are in the Soo shopping. They check their bill every month for that, cause it does happen. Altell removes the charges when that happens.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 05, 2007, 12:04:32 PM
I'd have to get the extra keyboard, as my XXXL gorilla paws don't fit on laptops

that's what ya get for bein a big oaf! :o  I sure am brave on dis keyboard ain't I? :D Oh well I wasn't gonna make this years piggy roast anyhow maybe you will forget by next year. ;D

Dave Shepard

kevjay, you'd have been safe anyway. Can you walk from MA to MI in 60 days? Might have to have a couple extra pairs of those Herman Munsters to do it.  ;D I need to find a New Transmission Lottery ticket somewhere. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 05, 2007, 04:00:09 PM
kevjay, you'd have been safe anyway. Can you walk from MA to MI in 60 days? Might have to have a couple extra pairs of those Herman Munsters to do it.  ;D I need to find a New Transmission Lottery ticket somewhere. ::)

Dave

What kinda tranny ya lookin' fer..... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

Jeff, expand on "had to buy the wire to connect", please.  Sounds close to what I need/want.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

I feel for ya bro. Last week I gave my mechanic $850 to get a tranny (used; 19,000 miles) for my daughter's little Hyundai. You know the ones; those disposable vehicles. I owe him another nearly $400 when he gets it done today or tomorrow.   

I ain't complainin though. Mech says I was lucky she didn't fry the engine too she drove it around in 1st gear for many miles. Needlessly.  ::)

Have you checked with the hotline on this WWW ??? I found a tranny for it a couple hundred cheaper but just didn't wanna mess with changing it out. If I had the time I coulda done it myself and saved prolly $500 or more.

Jeff

Quote from: Texas Ranger on June 05, 2007, 05:50:28 PM
Jeff, expand on "had to buy the wire to connect", please.  Sounds close to what I need/want.

Don, there is a wire that connects your cell phone directly to your computer. WIth a bit of software, your phone becomes your modem.

TexasTimbers

That's too cool using your phone fer a modem.

Next thing you know they'll figure out how to put a camera in a cell phone. :)

Dave Shepard

Burlkraft, it is a NV5600 out of a Dodge/Cummins. Dealer wants more for a reman($5000) than I paid them for the new one in 2002 ($2700) :o :o Tranny is a 1.375 input 4x4

Dave

Might want to get a jump on the patent for that one kevjay. ;)

edit:

Here is a NV4500 that challenged 1000 ft-lbs and my limited sense of humor:

It had a chipped tooth on third gear. I was towing a umm, ahh, large load up a steep hill and couldn't make the jump from second to fourth, so I had to go to third. The results where not pretty.

Paschale

Quote from: kevjay on June 05, 2007, 06:28:40 PM
That's too cool using your phone fer a modem.

Next thing you know they'll figure out how to put a camera in a cell phone. :)

I use my cell phone for a modem when I'm out of town.  Sprint has unlimited internet for $10 a month, but the only problem is that it's Sprint--too many dropped calls.  But I don't use a cable between the two...I have Bluetooth on both, and THAT'S really cool!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

TexasTimbers

Yep- me and my bigmouth I should have applied for a patent before I said anything.

Geez 5K for a reman tranny I hope mine don't go out anytime soon it is behind an F350 7.3L Power Stroke they can't be cheap either. I never miss an oil change but I am staring at 268,000 miles and I have never even changed the filter on the tranny. :o

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine has had a bunch of Ford autos, they like regular tranny services. If they act a little funky, they respond well to a service. At your milage, you may not want to touch it. More than one high miler auto drove in for a tranny service, and never moved again. The pumps lose prime and don't have the oomph to pull fresh fluid into them. :o :(

Dave

TexasTimbers

Don't kick a sleeping dog.
Let sleeping dogs lie.
Don't feed an old hound puppy chow.
However ya want to say it. I can't remember who it was here locally that told me he did a tranny flush, like $80 - he had alot of miles too - tranny went out in a week or something.

Thank You Sponsors!