iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wheel chair controllers for motor speed control

Started by pineywoods, April 29, 2016, 11:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

OK guys, here's what little I know about wheel chair controllers, all in one place.
Wheel chairs have 2 motors, therefore there has to be 2 controllers, altho they are usually combined into one common unit. Most of them have a separate joystick control connected with a cable. There is one commonly available unit which has everythin in one box bolted to the chair arm. Dynamic model dl5.2i.
They are all programable micro-processor controlled. There are 2 major suppliers and a few odd ball clones.
Dynamic Controls, based in New Zealand
Curtis instruments, usa based.
Both of them have web sites where you can download installation manuals by model # in pdf form. Manuals are very complete, include pin outs, wiring diagrams, default characteristics, error codes etc.
They have done a pretty good job of making usage as idiot-proof as possible

Some of the characteristics
Soft start, both fwd and rev
soft stop, no sudden decel
limited reverse speed
user adjustable fwd speed limit
Joystick is proportional both fwd and rev, serves as a throttle as well as direction
Conecting the 24 volt charger disables everything
Battery charge level indicator
Joystick in neutral locks the brakes.
The processor goes through a diagnostic sequence at power on. Checks for both motors functional, both brakes functional, joystick functional AND in neutral, battery charge level above minimum, and internal checks.
Failure results in motors disabled ,brakes applied and blinking error codes...

I had a power failure while making this post, so it may be a bit scrambled..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishfighter

I have the Dynamic controller. I went to their web site, couldn't find anything.

This is the one I have. Yep, got to have everything hooked up for the system to work. :( How can I go around that?

pineywoods

1 Never seen any dynamic numbers like that. Probably an invacare number.

2 You can't.....best you can do is fool the controller into thinking everything is ok.
   Keep in mind the DanG thing is a computer....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishfighter

Guess I will have to go another route then. I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to puters.

Thank You Sponsors!