iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita 6401 Question

Started by Cypressstump, May 25, 2012, 08:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

I bought a factory reconditioned Makita 6401 w/24" bar, it had no major damage or repairs, it was basically a major service job with tuneup, carb cleaning, etc... 200 bucks.

My question is, given the fact it is used nearly 90% of the time on softer sinker cypress, what would be the maximum bar length you'd reccomend and what type chain?

Baileys has a 36 inch roller tip bar on sale right now, and I need that kinda cutting ability.

Thanks.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

lumberjack48

I think it will handle a 36" bar, as long as you use it reasonably with a skip tooth chain.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=428
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Never seen one but 36" of bar on 64 cc of saw is asking a lot .Unless this sunken stuff is soft as balsa but I'd about bet it's not .

In these parts 24" of bar on a saw that size is asking a lot .That size is generally for 80 ccs' or close to it unless the saw has been enhanced power wise .

shinnlinger

I believe the 79cc jug from the bigger dollmar is available from baileys for $120 bucks.  Bolt on displacement. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ladylake

Good saw, good price, where did you get it?   You sure could try a long bar with a skip tooth , if not enough power up it to the 7900 P@C.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nmurph

It does not have the power to pull a 36". It also doesn't have an oiler capable of putting enough lube on the bar. 32" is about the max for the oiler and 24" (28" on the rare occasion) is about where the power for the bar runs out. The OEM 79cc top-end is $179. The 84cc aftermarket is about $100-120 depending on whether or not it on sale. I definitely recommend the OEM set-up if you are going bigger. The 84cc is no stronger (maybe not quite as strong) than the 79cc and the quality is definitely no match for the OEM parts.

Al_Smith

Well there we go trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear .I've ran the little Makitas which are just blue Dolmars .They do fine for their size  but to soup one up to pull a 36" bar he'd have money and frustration in it than just landing a used 066 Stihl and be done with it .

nmurph

Well, it's too bad the 7900's oiler is stingy bc it certainly is strong enough to pull a 36" bar. It is also quite a bit lighter than a 066 and several hundred less.

Cypressstump

Been out of pocket,  swimming for some sinkers over the weekend... :)  I bought the 36" bar/chains (skiptooth) right after I posted this question to ya'll. Bailey's had too sweet of a deal with a 26 dollar rollertip Carlson bar. The cheap part of me overtook me.
I have yet to run the bar on the saw. And YES the sinker cypress is fairly soft for the most part. I need the length of the 36" to saw the logs to length mainly before milling.

I got this saw and a larger Makita ( Dolmar as mentioned)  concrete/demo saw for 200 bucks each. A guy was selling off a lot of surplus equipment that he had purchased at a large equipment auction near New Orleans. These were listed in a for sale ad as 'Makita saws' at 400 each. I guess people who read the same ad as I, thought no way a used Makita wood saw is worth 400 bucks. I had disregarded the Makitas due to the price and went to buy a overhead hoist.
As I got to the place, the overhead hoist was leaving, even tho I was told he would hold it for me that afternoon until I got there on the agreed upon time. As disgruntled as I was and the few angry things I told him, I spied the 'Makita saws'...... I asked on them, he said " no one is intrested in them dayum things I guess"... I said since you sold the hoist out from under me, I'll give you 400 for the both of them. I had already seen the tags from the factory service still on the saws and figured they were still fresh.
Fresh gas and they both fired right off. Ths chain saw had a 24 inch bar on it at the time. I have been running a 28" on it so far.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep ya posted as to how it does on the 36", may end up having a new bar and a few 36" chains for sale soon, but hopefully it'll work for me.

Stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

lumberjack48

tighten the chain so that turns freely, run 32:1 mix, adjust carb so its running about 10,000 rpm.
Be careful, don't overload to much at a time or you'll score the piston on the exhaust side.
Keep it sharp and rakers at 30 to 35 thous, any lower i don't think it'll pull it.
If you don't demand to much it should work.

Just my 2 cents
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Cypressstump

Thanks for the tips Lumberjack, I appreciate that.

I'll post back on here when I have time to run the big bar. I have some large sinkers I need to find time to pull and put my new bar to use.

Stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

lumberjack48

I reread it, i miss understood, set the rpm at 13,500 you want as much chain speed as you can get. You might want to try a 8 tooth sprocket. Sorry about that

nmurph

A 6401 does not have the power to pull a 36" bar running a 7 pin rim much less an 8pin.

Also, it is VERY important to remember that the coil on this saw will limit max rpms to 13.5K rpm. You can have it set very lean and it will still max out at 13,500rpm. The saw needs to be checked in the cut for four-stroking with a light lift in pressure, or set the H needle to the factory spec. If using a tach to tune, start with it rich (2-3 turns out) and gradually lean it out. The rpms will increase in a stable manner. When you hit the limiter, the reading on the tach will start to jump wildly and give you what appears to be erroneous readings. Keep in mind that the tach is only reading what is going on in a fraction of a second. When you see the wild variations in readings, richen it back up until they stabilize. Then lean it a 1/16 or so and call it good.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Cypressstump on May 31, 2012, 01:31:35 PM
Thanks for the tips Lumberjack, I appreciate that.

I'll post back on here when I have time to run the big bar. I have some large sinkers I need to find time to pull and put my new bar to use.

Stump
When you run the long bar, don't let it bog down. work the saw and the throttle keeping rpm up, as long as you keep rpm up your cutting wood. In other words only cut with about half the chain at one time. I hope you understand me, you can sink the 36" bar, work with the saw.

Thank You Sponsors!