iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cold weather sure make for enjoyable skidding

Started by C L FARMS, February 08, 2007, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C L FARMS

hi all, i don't get out to the woods much as sawmilling is my hobby, but i had to make the most of this weather and get in the woods.  all this timber is in a management program, but due to the emerald ash borer we are harvesting what we can get to (ash) without damaging other stuff. normally you are fighting dirt and mud and the like.  our little crawler had an enjoyable time getting around on the snow and frozen ground, it sure was nice loading up the logs with nothing but a little snow impacted in the bark. now hopefully i can find a buyer for the boards as this local area is so super saturated w/ ash because everyone else is doing the same thing. if not, all next years christmas presents will be made out of ash. happy sawing!!!!!!!!!

OneWithWood

I take it Loraine County is relatively flat.  I am a bit hesitant to take the crawler out on the snow and frozen ground here with the steep ravines and all.  I went tobogganning on the crawler once and I am in no hurry to repeat the experience.  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

C L FARMS

actually we have some ravines and the like but overall it is flat, i would much rather take something like that over an edge than anything on rubber tires.(except the lack of a rops)  i worked quite a few 1 to 1 slopes with it, i kind of concentrated on those areas, as traditionally they are quite difficult in the mud. of-course if i still was in the 7 series j-d skidder i once ran, well,.............. but this don't have a payment.  the dual arch on the skidder also made a person get lazy real fast.  i did take a tobaggan/dozer ride years ago, decided i better enjoy that ride because i had no intentions of ever doing it again.

snowman

Far as im concerned, winter logging is the only way to go.You get clean logs and you don't do any damage to the ground.My skid trails are solid snow and ice, once its gone youll never know I was there. I run chains on my tractor and it's amazing where it will go although there are a couple of adverses i have to winch skids up that in summer im sure I could pull, oh well I'll take the clean logs!

OneWithWood

Winter logging when the ground is frozen is definately the most environmentally friendly.  Unfortunately it is a more of a challenge on some terrain.  Someday I will figure out how to safely accomplish more on frozen ground.  Someday . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!