iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hand tools resources

Started by mad murdock, June 14, 2010, 04:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

I can't find a thread about hand tools used in forestry.  If there is one, link it up please...  I am teaching my boys how to get around in the woods (working), and am starting them on a healthy regimen of hand tool use (axe, machete, 1-man crosscut, 2 man crosscut, bunching tongs, peavy, etc, etc.).  Any sources or info on where to get quality hand tools is appreciated.  I am aware of Logrite tools, but am looking for a good source for quality hand tools, i.e. crosscut saw co. or the like.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

nas

Can't help you on the thread, but here is a store with good hand tools.
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/index.php

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Dave Shepard

Bailey's, one of our sponsors, carries a lot of hand tools. I've done a bit of business with them and have always been pleased. Ben Meadows and Forestry Suppliers also carries the tools you are looking for.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dutchman

arojay

440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

arojay

I had the extreme good fortune to inherit an adze, broadaxe and a few other goodies from my Grandad.  They absolutely don't make em like that anymore.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

mad murdock

Thanks for the links. Traditional woodworker has some real nice quality tools.  I have purchased many things from Bailey's, they are a decent source, but have a limit on their offerings.  Forestry Suppliers, and Ben Meadows are the same.  Good tools are timeless, and for some reason, are a hard thing to find now-a-days.  I have a couple of good old crosscut saws that I have scrounged from yard sales, and I even have a couple of nice axe heads that I will return to service, that have been found in the woods.  My dad broke us in on buck saws, hatchets and axes, then we got to move up to chain saws.  Having a solid knowledge on proper use and care of the old tools really has helped over the years, even when it comes to using power tools.  Besides, there is an even greater appreciation for the power tool when the proper time comes to introduce them to the mix.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

indiaxman1

Sharp machetes are great for clearing paths.old time grass whips also..the Swedes make the best axes for splitting/felling....Gransfors Bruks...have both...hold edge ...could shave with after 10 yrs use..and a 3 1/2 lb Swede maul can do what a 6-8 lb any other kind without straining any important body parts...you pay more for em....but they last..My kids grew up busting/hauling long before I got a log splitter....honest labor makes honest men

Emajsh

i know its hard to beat the old hand tools but i use the fiskars axes now instead of the traditional wooden handle axes and i have had real good luck with them. they make a few different machettes as well. they make one that is a regular machette and then they make a brush axe. they might be worth taking a look at
JD 340D  HUSKY 385XP 372XP

Phorester

Thee seems to be a bunch of hand tools up for sale at every farm and estate auction listed in the newspapers here.  Also at yard sales, flea markets, antique stores.  We have a Steam Show every year here where the local boys that restore steam driven equipment show off their collections, but there are also a bunch of vendors there that sell tools.  I've bought old Craftsman brand hand saws there for 25 cents apiece.  Seen adzes, axes, cant hooks, vises, scythes, shovels, chisels, froes, you name it.  Some expensive, most not.

Also check at sawmills.  There's one local one that's been in business for about 75 years that has a bunch of old logging tools and even log scale sticks they no longer use.  They will sometimes sell them to individuals.

JimMartin9999

Jim

ljmathias

Ebay is getting harder and harder to use- been taken over by all the retail outlets and wanna-be's selling new stuff at in-store prices; clogs up the searchers with all kinds of stuff you don't want.  Oh, for the good old days when you could actually find a deal on a used something-or-other that you can't live without...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!