iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky rim change

Started by grampt1, March 14, 2002, 06:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampt1

I need to change the rim on my Husky 55 chain saw. Is the clutch nut right or left hand thread? how do I keep the crank from turning while loosning the clutch nut?
Thanks
Ron

DanG

Great question, Gramp. I'm gonna post what I have heard and seen, just to see if it is correct in the opinions of our experts. This should be a good thread.

I have been told that the proper way is to stuff the cylinder with cotton or nylon cord, via the sparkplug hole. This will keep the engine from turning while you loosen/tighten the nut. I feel like this is probably correct.

Now, what I have seen, and done a couple of times, is to use an air impact wrench. It seems to work well, but I worry that it ain't too good for the saw.

I've never worked on a Husky, but all the others that I've messed with had left-hand threads.

Now, that being said, let's just sit back and let the ones that really know take us to school. :P :P :P :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

That would be correct, but which way do you turn it?  :)

DanG

My experience is that you turn it counter-clockwise until you determine that it ain't comin' off, then you drink a coupla beers, and cogitate about it fer a while. Then you call somebody and askem' what's wrong.  Then you turn it clockwise, and it comes off.  This procedure has never failed to work for me. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bud Man

Ain't it funny how every thing is a head game  :o That cogitating ifn ya aint kerful will bring on n increase in asprin consumshun  ::) and that wobblypop will bring on a ten den c to fall n put a bump on yur knoggen :o and readn strucshuns  bring bout wearn koke botles n front of yor eyes :o n listn 2 sumn else wilst gum upn yo ear'es withn wax ;D  Ya jest kant win  :P seems guesn n spermintn is best n most fun  ;)
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Kevin

I think it`s clockwise, there`s an arrow near the clutch face that tells you the direction.
Raise the piston so the rope doesn`t end up in a port hole in the cylinder.
You usually need to whack (shock) em in order to loosen them.

Corley5

I've changed them using the impact wrench method and the rope method.  Both work equally well.  Chances are if you take it to a shop to have it done they are going to use an impact wrench.  I wouldn't worry about negative effects from using the impact and you eliminate the risk of foreign material in your cylinder.  Just my two cents ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Well I aint no exspurt, but heres what I know.  The rope trick works fine, and like Kevin says, watch the rope down the holes!  If you want, you can buy a fancy plastic plug to screw in the hole which has the same effect.
Yes its a left-hand thread for the clutch nut, so think back to front!
I have heard and would tend to believe, that using an air impact driver to loosen the nut is a no no.  Cant remember the ins and outs - which makes the comment useless dont it!!?? - but think it transferred the shocks through to the crank, and can cause problems.  Just one of those options, you can do it the way you want to!!
There, all done...  and not a drop of beer spilt!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

grampt1

Thanks to all for the quick and great responces, I have never heard of the rope trick before, sounds like a great idea and I think I will try the old whack with the wrench and if that don't work I will attack it with the old impact wrench :)
Thanks again
Ron

L. Wakefield

From other power tools too- almost all of them have a left hand screw when you are down to a drive part. i think the idea is that the drive itself turns in a way that a left hand screw on this part tightens it, whereas if it was a right hand screw, it would tend to loosen up and fall off.

I was taught to take whichever hand- right for a right hand screw (this is 99% of all screws EXCLUSIVE of drive parts)- left hand for the left hand screws. Point the thumb like you're hitch-hiking (c'mon, give it up! You KNOW you've done this..).
Curve the fingers of that hand. The thumb points the direction you want the bolt or nut to go. The fingers point in the driection that you turn it.

When you start talking clockwise vs. counterclockwise that's OK if everyone is in agreement which side of the work you are looking at. But if you flip the work over, the 'clock' orientation will reverse. If you've got it so you can see the part you want to loosen, you just match your hand to it. Works with garden hose (right hand screw) or anything.   8)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!