iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Beans & Rice

Started by Magicman, August 29, 2012, 01:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Thanks Lynn, I have the Tony's so next time in the big city I'll hit the grocery store for the beans.

Magicman

A pound of beans is a lot of beans.  She only cooked ½ lb. yesterday and we have some left for today.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Lynn, did you make the sausage yourself? I love a good sausage. Haven't had red beans and rice since I quit working in the Gulf of Mexico. As for the cornbread, I make it the same way. No measuring except the palm of my hand. I also preheat the pan and oil before pouring the oil from a cast iron skillet into the batter. Thats the way my momma and grand momma did it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

No Lee, I did not personally make that sausage.  I used to, but quit several years ago so I have a local butcher that does it for me.  I bone the venison out and he supplies the pork and fixins.

I have seen your post in the past showing you stuffing your own.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

An alternative to making Red Beans & Rice, is what our Daughter does.  She buys Tony Chachere's Red Beans & Rice mix which includes all of the seasoning.  She adds this to canned red kidney beans and then the sausage.  It is pretty good.

DanG

I was just gonna say, canned kidney beans ain't a bad substitute when you don't have all day.  I frequently don't know what's for supper until late afternoon, so it needs to be pretty quick.  You can cook the sausage in a skillet, then boil a little water in it to add to the beans and get the sausage flavor into the beans that way.  I have also steamed the sausage, then use the water from the bottom of the steamer.  If you do things in the right order, you can be eating red beans and rice in 30 minutes! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Believe it or not rice is one of the things I struggle to cook. It's always either is hard or mushy. Should have watched the 2nd ex more I guess.
New Lady makes a mean risotto though with white wine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

For rice, just follow the directions on the package, do not lift the lid and peek, and never stir.

Did you know that cooked rice can be frozen?  You can then microwave it in a zip bag and it is OK.

Norm

Or be lazy like me and buy an automated rice cooker.  :D

If you like your rice to be less sticky rinse it in cold water several times before cooking.

Raider Bill

I married an automatic rice maker once. The maintenance about killed me. ;D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

That really is funny.   :D :D
Say when

WDH

Those rice cookers are nice, the mechanical ones I mean  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I'll let raider Bill go first. He like corn bread too.  ;D Almost like me and onions and peppers. Will not touch them cooked for the most part. Only in a soup. I like them raw,not warm one little bit. But will not eat an apple unless it cooked. It gets worst than that too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

I've gotten pretty good at cooking rice the old fashioned way.  I never remember to look at the clock when I start, so I just guesstimate the time.  I use  a glass lid, so I can see it without opening it.  My dear old(90) Mom uses a little wind-up timer, but invariably takes it off the heat before the dinger has dung.  I tried asking her why she bothered with it, but quickly backed out of the discussion. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

When I cook rice, I never measure. I just put rice in the pan, add water till it looks right, bring to a boil lower to a simmer, put on a lid and cook. I do somewhat go by time depending if I want moist rice or dry. Dry rice for fried rice and spanish rice. moist forother dishes. Rice is easy for me. I just can't see using a rice cooker, although I have heard they're nice.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

Well for me cooking supper usually involves an adult beverage or two so timing is not my strong point.   :D

One nice thing about them though is they will hold the rice hot for an hour without making it overcooked.

Magicman

Yup, did it again.   :)

That is a musical plate of beans.   ;D

Buck

I used PatD's brand a few days ago. They did make a better gravy.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

SwampDonkey

Looks good there MM. Pat treats you real good with all that sawing going on. Getcha back home from those marathon sawing trips to fill ya back up. ;D

I bake beans here in winter. Actually made my first beans of the season last week. I soak soldier beans over night, then replace the water in the morning to bake with. Add molasses, fresh bacon, onion, dry ginger, dry mustard and bake for 5 hours. Have to watch the water after 2 hours, as about that time the beans such it up quick. ;D I can make cornbread like that, but my version is more of a desert and as such is sweet and oven baked with blueberries in it. Like it smothered in apple sauce to. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!