iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips on learning to weld?

Started by Hooterspfld, January 26, 2019, 01:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgk1

Quote from: Hooterspfld on March 26, 2019, 10:48:33 PM
Ok so I just had to try out the welder. Going to get into it a bit more this weekend. But here are my first 3 welds with zero prior welding experience. I can tell for sure that I'm rushing, going to have to work on that. Nice thing was, I picked up 20-30 pieces of scrap 1/4' for $5.  

Don't get discouraged, practice, practice, practice. Someone had mention Jody's Welding Tips and tricks, he is a excellent teacher and really knows his stuff. Here is a link to Part 1 Mig welding. Take the time to check all 8 of them out. Best way to practice when starting out is just padding beads on a piece of 1/4 flat stock, make sure you quench it after laying down 3 or 4 beads as it will get HOT... Are you using Flux core or Mig process with 75/25 gas? Verify your polarity is correct for each.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-basics.html
Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

Qweaver

It's as important to know the theory as it is to be able to lay down a pretty bead. Without proper prep, procedure and 100% penetration you have a weld that is apt to fail if fully loaded.   I was a lead hand in a code vessel shop and it amazed me how few of our welders really knew the code.  But they could follow what they were told to do and our work passed inspection.  A welding course taught by a good instructor (not all are) is your best bet.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Qweaver on August 27, 2019, 11:35:19 AM
It's as important to know the theory as it is to be able to lay down a pretty bead. Without proper prep, procedure and 100% penetration you have a weld that is apt to fail if fully loaded.   I was a lead hand in a code vessel shop and it amazed me how few of our welders really knew the code.  But they could follow what they were told to do and our work passed inspection.  A welding course taught by a good instructor (not all are) is your best bet.
I'll say this.... when Qweaver talks welding, I listen. ;)
I wear my reading glasses all the time under my auto-darkening hoods.  As my eyes have aged I've had to resort to spotlights on the weld area, a cloth shield on my neck (from the hood to my shoulders to reduce ambient light behind the hood), and a silver line where I'm welding. Otherwise it's harder for me to see the line where I need to weld.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

btulloh

"As my eyes have aged I've had to resort to spotlights on the weld area, a cloth shield on my neck (from the hood to my shoulders to reduce ambient light behind the hood), and a silver line where I'm welding. Otherwise it's harder for me to see the line where I need to weld."

Some good tips right there for my tired eyeballs. That silver line sounds like a really good thing. Can't wait to try that. 
HM126

Hooterspfld

Well I thought I'd post to this old thread. I got so much advice that was greatly appreciated. Ended up going with a Hobart MVP210. Mig welding with gas is really a lot of fun, even for a DIY beginner like myself. Well it took about a 2 months of working an hour here and there, but the railing project is complete! Turned out even better than I expected, so much so that I've gotten requests from my parents and inlaws to install a couple small railings at their houses. Thanks again for all the input!

BtoVin83

Well you screwed up, now they know you have a welder and know how to use it the freebie jobs will never stop Ha ha. Nice railing by the way.

Crusarius

Mig makes it easy to make pretty welds. Did you do any structural destructive testing on the welds? If its going to fail it should fail right next to the weld in what is called the HAZ, heat affected zone.

Hooterspfld

Did you do any structural destructive testing on the welds?

I did some when I was teaching myself. My welder works on both 110 or 220, 110 was working well enough, but just didn't seem to be quite hot enough. Picked up a generator off craigslist pretty cheap, and running 220 makes a big difference. Welds are prettier and penetration is better. On the railing I ground down all the welds and in doing so was able to see that I was getting a proper weld. Had to touch up a few here and there, but got better as I got more practice.  

Crusarius

Sweet. There is a reason they say all good welders are good grinders :) After a while you will not need to grind.

thecfarm

Nice looking railing.
I might of posted this. But I had a small welder used 110. Than I got one that used 220. :o  What a difference. First off,no duty time,the 110 would shut off and I would have to wait for it to reset. Have not had that happen to the one that runs on 220.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!