iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mac Sp 125 restoration

Started by Al_Smith, January 02, 2011, 07:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I got this thing before I was ever on internet forums .Unfortunately the chrome had peeled from the cylinder and damaged the cylinder and piston .Evidently this was common on this model . Now I could have had the cylinder replated or make a cast iron sleeve for it .I choose the later .

The block was bored using a homemade boring bar that used to be the beater axle for a morter mixer ,in a good old Bridgeport mill ,model M .

Next the sleeve was made by coring out a round of grade 50 fine gray cast iron which by the way is exactly the grade Harley Davidson used on the old flatheads

The sleeve was cut with a 35 thou wall thickness ,2 thou over the bore size .Block heated,sleeve frozen and pressed in a 12 inch machine vice .Best I culd do on a short notice .

Ports cut in once it was pressed ,honed to size with a Lisle precision hone .A little paint and away we go . Might sound funny but in all these years I haven't ran this thing enough to even seat the rings but it runs just mine .IMG] https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12054/DSC00001.jpg [/IMG]

fishpharmer

Al, that's a mighty impressive rebuild job.  I just love seeing folks make old stuff new again. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Al_Smith

Thanks .I've done more extensive restorations but it was on larger equipment .Took more time too .

weimedog

Love the resourcefulness. And the, "just make it happen" approach. So many feels as if they have to go to established sources for parts as if there is some magic when putting brand labels on raw materials! Guys like you are rare and yet again prove with ingenuity and basic knowledge...you can build things. You and Motomedik need to spend time. He's working on getting to where you are. Keep those pics coming! Maybe a few will pick up some old machine tools cast off from our once very capable manufacturing infrastructure! (I would love to get my hands on an old "Logan" brand manual lathe .. and a Monarch brand cnc mill with a fanuc 6m or later control! Just don't have the support in the concept here as it takes from the farm! I still have a pair of 1990 era HP9000 715 work stations in perfect working condition waiting for a period CAD/CAM package to run! That was my world then.)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:D The saws really in my case are just another extension of my life long quest of being an eccentric gear head .

I've been around the noisey things most of life .It just never dawned on me to perhaps restore some old ones or soup a few up just to see if it could be done until maybe 10 years ago .

People might think a person is nuts to have 40 or so saws but think nothing of having 100 fire arms etc. like they are some kind of elitist .Whatever floats your boat is what I say  :)

weimedog

I agree...for me the motorcycle (off road racing) thing has been in my life since I was 13. I have found two things simultaneously happening over the last ten years..I can't ride as much because it hurts too much (Old injury) and can be debilitating days after, The farm & wood stove requires lots of saw work, and I need exercise! I said this in another post, sometimes things seem to happen for a reason...and then the realization the performance itch & restoration itch is just as thoroughly scratched with saws, if no more so as they actually help the bottom line. Add to that the group of folks we have come to the GTG's and now are becoming good friends, and old saws have now replaced the life long passion of riding dirt bikes as the number one interest for me. I don't have 50 saws. Working on 15. who knows over time. I just have this quirk where once I like a machine..especially an old one, I put my efforts into trying to make it like it was when in the prime of its service...not "better" than, just like it would be in its normal life. A historical thing. They were designed and built to be useful and productive.  Jonsered's & Homelite's is where I have settled ..metal ones. :P

Please keep showing what can be done with a right attitude..even if they are yellow instead of red machines!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:D I've got every color of the rainbow,take your pick . The oldest is somewhere around 1953-54 and the newest in the 2000's .
Fact is I have a Mac that looks and sounds like a Stihl too .

Cut4fun

Quote from: weimedog on January 04, 2011, 09:49:14 AM

even if they are yellow

I like yellow, but man that Mac bright yellow looks so so so   :o ;) against my Partner, Pioneer/Partner, Old Poulan  yellows on the shelf.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!