iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total noob, with noob questions.......

Started by fermentor, September 24, 2015, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fermentor

Hello everyone. I just picked up a mill and am beginning my learning curve - with the mill and this forum.
I think it is custom fabbed twin (dual?) blade (21"H, 18"V) with 25 HP Kohler twin, power raise/lower, 24' power feed/auto return on 12K tilt trailer with 12K winch. Looking to get some idea about how I did.
Photos below (i hope).
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=190344#top_display_media
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=190343#top_display_media

Also have couple of questions.
It has fittings (no tank) for coolant feed on the vertical blade only. Wondering if circulars need it just like bandsaws? Any popular coolant recipes? Mainly looking at pine and cedar.

We did a maiden voyage on small (14"-16") log and after several passes (past halfway down) horizontal blade blade was chewing into prior pass. We are thinking we didn't have clamps tight enough and maybe the cutting action dried the core enough for it to curl up 1/8" on cut side. Anyone experience something similar? Trailer, tracks and carriage seem solid and no troubles on earlier passes.
Link to video (running out of gas) below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/io1t105rh9toug0/video-2015-09-19-15-13-18.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

Dale

4x4American

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't assist you with your circle mill!  Good luck.  Others will be along that can help.
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

I can't help either, but it looks like it should work, there is always a learning curve, and dont' tell anyone else, but I ran out of fuel one time too ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, fermentor.   :)

Is this where you live?  State of Jefferson ?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

As Rush would say - for those in Rio Linda.  Northern California.

I've only seen a few double cuts run, and I don't recall seeing them use a coolant on the blade.  Did you sharpen your blade before you started cutting?  Dull blades can do all sorts of things, especially ruin lumber and cuts.  Feed rate is also important.  Too fast, and you'll have problems as there is too much dust for the gullets to handle. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mad murdock

Welcome aboard!! Nice looking mill. Uou got the pics to uour gallery, now just scroll down the screen a bit more and hit the add pic to post button, or copy and paste the url in your post like this 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

I'm willing to bet a swing blade guy might have some good fft (food for thought) for ya.
Boy, back in my day..

fermentor

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the welcomes and tips. I should probably start hanging with the circle/swing folks.

Quote from: Magicman on September 24, 2015, 07:57:30 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, fermentor.   :)

Is this where you live?  State of Jefferson ?
Only in spirit, although my grandmother was born in that area. There is a current effort by rural counties to split off from SoCal and Bay Area over differences concerning gun control, bullet trains, twin 40' tunnels to steal our water and stuff like taxpayers funding sex change operations for guys doing life in prison.

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on September 24, 2015, 08:39:56 PM
As Rush would say - for those in Rio Linda.  Northern California.
Hahaha... back when he had nicotine-stained fingers. Most of the time my ISP would show as a geosynchronous orbit.

Larch

That's interesting that only the vertical blade has the coolant feed as the kerf on that blade should leave plenty of room for the blade to pass through without generating heat on vertical cuts.  It's on the horizontal cuts where the log can bite the blade that coolant is most necessary.  I use water, windshield washer fluid, dish soap and a touch of Pin-Sol in various combinations. 

My first guess on your problem with the horizontal blade not matching its prior cut is exactly what you suggested -- log movement.  It happens all the time.  I only have a single blade swing mill but I like to flatten the top of a log and then turn it so it has a nice, wide surface contacting the mill.  Then I can see what it is doing. 

Nice mill you found there. 

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Fermentor,

I suspect the log was moving as well, 
for lube I use a little Pinesol and warm water.

Make darn certain the teeth are sharp and filed square to the blade body,
looks like a Lucus blade, not many teeth so they have to all work well together.

Best
Dan

Thank You Sponsors!