iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

swing blade mills

Started by jimmy, August 22, 2003, 08:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

i am wondering which mill i should purchase the lucas or the perterson mill?

Frank_Pender

First question: What is the main type of material you are wishing to produce with your mill, other than perhaps some income?  I began with the idea to cut primarely dimensional lumber from Douglas Fir trees.  This I have done.  However, I have since expanded into a variety of wood fiber materials.
Frank Pender

oakiemac

When I was researching mills I looked at both the lucas and peterson. The big disadvantage (huge) is that on the lucas you can't double cut without turning the whole power head around. So if you have the 6" model the widest cut you can make is 6". This is not the case on the Peterson. Their 6" model will double cut to 12" with out having to physically remove and turn around the whole engine. Hope this helps.
Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

D._Frederick

If I were to buy a swing mill, Peterson would be my choice, it is more user friendly, you don't have to run to the end stands to set depth of cut, and it double cuts without any fuzz.

Captain

I have never met a Lucas owner that does not long for a Peterson. The mills have more ease of use, in either the ATS or WPF models, especially for a single operator.  Make sure that if you are comparing, you are comparing a Lucas to the Peterson ATS, they are more similar.  

If you have some more direct questions after more research, please ask again.

Captain
Peterson WPF

Swing_blade_Andy

Captain

If wot youv'e just said is true would you be kind enough to let know why Lucas has outsold Petersen (and continues to do so) by nearly 10:1.

I think that there are some very relevant issues that you are not facing. I know enough about both mills to spot a 5!@#%^&* storey by the way so keep it reasonable and factual if you don't mind. We don't want swing bladers to get a reputation like Woodmiser owners who have jounded the Orange religious cult and can't argue logically to save thier life.

Andrew

woodmills1

beware least thou place a false god before thee :D

[size=10]ORANGE[/u][/b][/size][/color]

[size=10]POWER[/u][/b][/size][/color]
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

D._Frederick

Swing-blade,
The answer to your question is simple, better marketing, not a better mill.

Swing_blade_Andy

Captaln

The incisive depth of your enquiry is awe-inspiring

Andrew

Fla._Deadheader

Andy, enlighten us on the merits of the Lucas. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. Give us your opinion. Do you have a Lucas, and, if so, tell us what you like about it, AND , how it stacks up against the Peterson. I am VERY interested in what you have to say.
  Captain has a Peterson and MAY be biased. SO BE IT. I believe YOU ARE BIASED ALSO, so, please let us know how your mill suits your needs.
  There are several people interested in info on Swingers and there is not much input. Talk to us, huh. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Swing_blade_Andy

Deadheader

Thanks so much for your kind invitation.

Its not so much that I think that I know that answer but that I am in as much doubt an everyone else. My principle objection is the assertion that 'One mill is DEFINATELY BETTER'. Because on that matter I will give an opinion and that is (BOLLOCKS). I certainly don't think so. There are a long list of criterion I would use to evaluation what is on offer and it would certainly take more that the choice of colours (heh) to make me choose.

I would go through a list, which is being constantly refined, the answers to which will vary from place to place and person to person and from time to time. Take after sale service for example; this is vital to the choice of any mill and it will vary depending on which Continent you are on and where in fact on that Continent you are.

Take also the doublewide cuts for another. The main advantage of a swing blade mill is that Quarter sawing is easy. To get a log, which will allow you to quarter-saw greater than 10" is not at all common. It's not something that will be required every day. If your customer insists on a 12" board than they naturally be expecting inferior crown cuts - which will certainly 'cup'. For my part I only saw the finest quality timber I can (I don't want any to come back) and so that means Quarter saw max 9" by 6".  I cannot physically handle any larger material than that. So what's the point really?

Slabs are a different matter of course but I assume that these are not in contention in the 'argument' between Lucas and Peterson. I could go on but I think my point is clear. I can analyze the best option for me at any given time and place. But I cannot say that any milling option is BETTER than another - especially in an open, world-wide forum. That so absurd it plainly unintelligent and brings down the standing of these very useful Forums.

I have learnt an incredible amount from this Forum and from Woodweb in that last 4 years and would frankly be much poorer or even out of business but for guidance from smart people I met here. I'm all for good fun but I am not trivialization and uninformed brand loyalty. So with that I'll go make some dinner for my little boy who absolutely demands my absolute attention.

A final note: that in my (some say expert) opinion the differences between Lucas as Peterson come down to more than just marketing.

Andrew
Hmm quite a sermon really – must stop doing that.

Bro. Noble

Hey Andy,

Glad to see you're back and still full of the blarney :D :D  

Still got your Lucas I assume?  Weren't you looking for a band saw in addition?  Speaking of additions,  this son you mentioned,  is that a new addition since you were here last?

Jimmy,
If you're still there,  you might want to look into a brand-X also.  I think we would all like to hear more about them.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

KiwiJake

Just a little note... (When lucas were our agents they sold the most mills for us, they are good marketers and had a wicked technological advantage AT THAT TIME to give them selves a good boost start) our reputation and sales are growing with every day, in fact we are head down *&$# up building mills, we have had to struggle through the tough times to be where we are now.

In regards to 10" sales, most of these mills are sold to america so they must be cutting 10" boards over there often enough, doesn't wide boards in tongue and groove on your wall look appealing? Double cuts I feel are well worth the hype and any band sawyer will agree with the wide board thing, other wise it would be a narrow minded world.

I've kept out of the who's better thing cause I'm in the wrong place to make that comment.

Captain

The incisive depth of my enqiry? WOW where did that come from???

So, Andy,  why don't you tell us why Lucas out - sells Peterson 10:1 because I did not get that from your reply to FDH.

Not a professional......just having a good time

Captain

Swing_blade_Andy

Captian

You'll perhaps forgive my sacasm - must have been in a really bad mood yesterday. Like Jake I'm in the wrong position to comment on the gap in open forum at this time.

Noble
Yes back for a pop - cranky as ever. The wee boy's the main difference, got me up at 5am for a feed, perhaps explains my ....hmmm.

Bought him his first chainsaw the other day, looking forward to the help.

Andrew

wiam

I still have not heard why Lucas is better than Peterson.  More is not always better.  That reason just don't cut it.  And no I am not a Peterson owner.

William

jimmy

does anybody no if the lucas 613  and 618  6 inch mill can later be upgraded to a 8 inch blade and bigger motor?

Tom

Well Jimmy, where else but here could you have an audience made up of users as well as the manufacturers.   We need to do something to rattle their cage again, looks like. :D

DanG, their afraid to talk about their mills for fear of hurting each others feelings.  :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

In a way, not trashing each other is great, but, that ain't what we are asking them to do. How about comparing features, guys???  We Don'T hafta get gnarily. Just give the info and let us ask the questions???  How bout it ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Captain

In regards to Jimmy's question......I DO NOT know if Lucas is upgradeable, but I do know that the 6" Peterson mills use the same gearbox, blade arbor and frame sizes.  A 6" Peterson ATS or WPF mill can be upgraded to an 8" mill, engine of choice.

Captain

jimmy

just wondering if anybody knows how long it would take to recieve a peterson mill if i ordered one would it be weeks or months? i wood like to do some milling soon as possible. i am still undecided on which swing blade mill to get. has anybody ever heard about the  brand x mill or seen it in action?

'

Fla._Deadheader

Brand X might be in trouble. The Montana wildfire is right in his area.
  I have had a couple of conversations with Jay Brand. He was very helpful. I DO know, that, his lead time is ABOUT 30 days, and he wants the buyer to spend a day or so at his location for training. Hope he and his neighbors are spared from the fires.
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

I've never been particularly stingy with my opinions, so why start now?  ;D
Let's face it folks, the swing-blade mills and the multi-blade mills are designed to cut dimension lumber. They offer portability and production capability to the small operator. The multi-blade puts the most emphasis on production. The swing-blade mill places more focus on the portability issue. Both types, and the various adaptations of them will cut boards that are outside the intended scope, but these capabilities are up to the creativity of the sawyer.
Bottom line, IMHO, is; if you want to saw a bunch of 2x4's or 1x6's, etc, get a swinger or a multi-blade. If you want wide boards  ??? get a band mill.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

KiwiJake

If only it was that easy, wide boards band mill, small boards circular?

16"-20"are wide boards are they not, you may get a small step in the middle of the intersect (in some cases almost nothing if adjusted correct), the wide boards most definately won't get the wave thing goin on like the band saw.
The swinger was designed for A LOT more than just portabillity I can add that much, infact we have an Automated mill which will be released in the US soon which I am eager to show case in the Sawmill shootout to show off its awesome production rate and its easy wide board capabillity. Look at the production rate at the last shoot out with both swingers, automate it than you've got real production with optimum recovery.

Dead header, I can point out the advantages of the Peterson...

Double cut with out lifting the carriage around.

Ellectric winch available for sizing.

Easy horizontal gaging with a chain and stearing lock mech.

Easy loading concept.

Patented easy blade pivot lock system (this is a big one at the shows, people really comment on the difference between using our system over a gas strut semi lock systems on other mills, you are flipping that blade about 1500-2000 times a day so it should be easy)

One point vertical sizing.

Quality stainless and alloy with supershielded chain for rust resistance.

27hp with industrial air cleaner available.

Upgradeable to larger blade and motor.

Easy log loading with HiLo track system.

You don't have to contend with an over head cross brace as you walk.

As the tracks are not in the air and unsupported the tracks can be very rigid so you won't get horizontal and vertical sway while cutting.

Easy track extensions so you don't have to walk to every 4m track support along the track to lower for each drop (still I point raise and lower).

10" cut blade available.

Last but not least we are the only ones available with the worlds first commercial automated swing mill.
Toggle switch for the blade (no more manual flipping)
Button control with reset for horizontal sizing.
Automatic board return (returns with out waisting a run while it cuts the next)
Button control for vertical sizing.
One point sawmill operation.
+All the advantages as above

These are what I believe to be features of the Peterson mill.

woodbeard

Jake, is the log locust still in production? I don't see it in the new website.
Thanks,
George

Thank You Sponsors!