iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard hat, chainsaw gloves and saw pants?

Started by Ranger8006x6, August 16, 2021, 09:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I wear chaps, I have nicked them the odd time saved my legs, muffs, eye protection, they even have bifocals in them. I wear them all day. I bought chainsaw pants to wear in the colder weather. Then I don't have to keep putting my chaps on.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ron Scott

~Ron

upnut

Buddy of mine just sent me pics of bloody jeans and a bandaged up leg...."time to look for chaps..." I directed him here to follow discussions and a link to Baily's Online. Thank you all for great advice!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

barbender

I always wear a forestry helmet, safety boots, and ear plugs. The saw chaps...I can't describe how much I hate those things. I'm beginning to feel I would be safer in the big picture leaving them in the truck. To begin with, they are so hot that I get overheated, and then fatigued. On top of that they make it hard to move and tend to get snagged on branches and brush. The hot aspect is hard to get away from, but the clumsiness is just a poor design IMO. Wrapped around your legs with all of those buckles and straps, they just drive me nuts. I see Forester is making some now that are bibs, which make more sensen but the seat is still open. Kinda looks like something from the Blue Oyster Bar...😂
Too many irons in the fire

upnut

I swear the first time I strapped mine on it felt like I was carrying a chainsaw to a pillow fight, now its second nature, don't even notice them. Right now I use the Stihl apron style, which are better than nothing. The next ones will be full wrap, which may trap more heat, but better coverage. There is data showing where the majority of chainsaw cuts are inflicted, its worth studying.....

Scott B.

This is the one I was thinking of...

Tacotodd

I've taken a liking to the slip IN chainsaw protectors that I got from Madsens. They snap in on slightly modified jeans (or my BDU's). The slight modification involved basically refers to a strap on the inside for the pads to slip into and the snaps correctly place those pads. It's not as good of a system as full blown chainsaw pants or even chaps, but they aren't as unwieldy as chaps (or hot) and aren't as hot as reg saw pants either. Those pads are a LOT less expensive ta boot! I'm sure that they are not as protective as the real deal, but when clean you can't tell them from regular jeans anyway.

AND, they are better than NOTHING!
Trying harder everyday.

BradMarks

I wear Labonville chaps, Bugz Eyes, gloves. Hearing is already shot on the port side so I skip the plugs. Hard hat if warranted.  Question for those who wear full wrap chaps (I don't). Has anyone prior to acquiring or during use of full wrap chaps cut the back of their leg? Or know of someone who has?  In all my years I have not. Just wondering.

upnut

Brad- I'm glad you asked about that, made me go back and reconsider full wrap chaps. My Stihl apron chaps tend to leave the inside of my legs unprotected, so I figured full wraps were the answer. Labonville makes an apron wrap chap that may be just the ticket for the improved protection I'm looking for.

Scott B.

John Mc

Quote from: BradMarks on December 22, 2021, 04:37:18 PM
I wear Labonville chaps, Bugz Eyes, gloves. Hearing is already shot on the port side so I skip the plugs. Hard hat if warranted.  Question for those who wear full wrap chaps (I don't). Has anyone prior to acquiring or during use of full wrap chaps cut the back of their leg? Or know of someone who has?  In all my years I have not. Just wondering.
Back of leg cuts are rare. Snagging an apron chap and pulling it around your leg with the chainsaw and then cutting the front  or side of your leg is not so uncommon. Likewise pulling the leg of apron chaps up with a running chainsaw then cutting the front of your leg does happen. The full wrap chaps just do not seem to pull up when snagged. The chain cuts the outer layer and grabs the protective fiber inside rather than pulling up the chap.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

I was trying to remember this thread and figure out how it got revived. SO I went back and re-read the whole thing. Upnut, you are correct, it is a good thread and even includes grits. 

I always am thinking about this stuff and trying to find better gear for what I do (more comfortable with proper protection. This changes with the seasons. Felling in June is very different than felling in February and comfort levels vary widely. Recently I tired a pair of mesh goggles that TacoTodd gifted me and they worked great in certain conditions. Those had a head strap. I then ordered a set of the same brand in a temple style (eyeglasses types) and they are nice because I can flip them up without effort better than the goggles, but the goggles keep more stuff out. SO they both have a sweet spot. It is nice to have options in the bag. I also bounce between ear plugs and muffs. Muffs are better in the cold weather, plugs are better for all day work but are a pain to remove and put back in. I also sometimes have ear problems with too much ear plug use, so the muffs allow me a choice. Same with the leg protection, I have chaps and pants. Pants are great for all day, chaps are handy for off and on use, but they are hot. I have to 'plan' to wear the pants for that day, but the chaps are always handy in the truck if I have to do some cutting.

The only close call I have had was with a 372 and a 24" bar which swings a little on the heavy side. I was bucking up on a log pile and had my left foot up on the log. When I finished the cut I withdrew the saw and the chain was still spinning down. It caught the inside of the heel cup on my left boot and sliced all the covering off but didn't make it as far as meat. I got lucky. That makes me think I should consider inside the leg protection a little more. My pants have that, but not my chaps.

My old husky chaps are in great shape. I dry them after use and keep them folded in a jump bag with the other gear. In a week moment I might consider those Labonville full wraps, I certainly see the value in that. I think it's  all about the options and being able to pick the options that work best that day.

Yeah, get the gear and wear it. It only takes 2 seconds to learn why the hard way, or you can just use your head and plan for it. Now I just gotta get me one of those swanky aprons like MM has for sawmill and splitting work and I am all set.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Well the OP has not been back since mid  August.   :(
But for others who are reading and posting this is why to wear chaps.

wear your chaps!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!