iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flushing CO

Started by Don P, December 16, 2021, 08:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Is there anything that flushes CO from your system faster?

Southside

Hyperbaric chamber.  Have you had a carboxyhemoglobin test done? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

LOL, nah, but I had a coupla glasses of ice tea. I think we'll play outside tomorrow.

Southside

What machine is causing the problem?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

There is a non-invasive device, like a pulse ox to determine the level of CO in the blood. Many paramedics and fire departments have them. You ned to know your levels before the proper treatment can be determined. For higher levels barometric treatment is the best and most effective course. For patients I have seen with malfunctioning heating systems or other problems, fresh air has been the prescribed treatment. You should get a professional assessment if you have lasting headaches or nausea. Not something to mess with.
 @doc henderson 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

Were you running your Skid-steer in an enclosed space?
Like Oldgreenhorn said that's nothing to mess with. I got real sick plowing snow one time in a truck with no heat and a leaky exhaust manifold. Ran that thing for about 24 hours straight, had no idea how messed up I was until I got out. My ex was absolutely not happy when I came stumbling up the stairs. Wasn't good. 

mike_belben

Quote from: Don P on December 16, 2021, 09:15:14 PM
LOL, nah, but I had a coupla glasses of ice tea. I think we'll play outside tomorrow.
sweet or unsweet?  

doesnt really matter. youre gonna need grits or cornbread either way. 
Praise The Lord

doctorb

Nothing "flushes" CO from your RBC's.  Hyperbaric Oxygen maximizes the O2 carrying capacity of your blood, and may certainly hasten resolution of the symptoms of CO poisoning.  There is some controversy as to when the hyperbaric treatment should be employed and how many treatments are required.  Some feel that the hyperbaric chamber is overkill, and breathing high amounts of O2 without the chamber may be as effective.  Remember that the benefits of hyperbaric oxygen do not last long once your are out of the chamber.  
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

HemlockKing

I actually got c02 sickness (or close to) from chainsaw milling this summer, I almost fainted and got sick/weak. What a horrible feeling
A1

doc henderson

Hemoglobin with an iron molecule is how we transfer gas in a liquid base (serum).  the molecule has an affinity that changes based on pH.  more affinity means holds on tighter.  It is designed to carry O2 (oxygen) to cells so we can break down sugar for energy.  It also carries CO2 (carbon dioxide).  cells produce CO2 as a byproduct of carbohydrate utilization.  in the tissues in part due to CO2 production the pH drops and that decreases' the affinity for O2.  so, the O2 is released to the cells and the CO2 is picked up and carried to the lungs to be exhaled.  A standard pulse oximeter that they use in the hospital, can tell what % of your total hemoglobin is saturated, as it changes the 3D configuration.  It has limitations.  if you are anemic, it will still read 100% due to all your (limited amount) of hemoglobin being saturated even though the amount total O2 it can carry is limited by the low blood count.  It reads O2 and CO the same as it confers the same 3D change.  The problem is the Hg has a natural 200X stronger affinity for CO compared to O2.  as you can see, we are talking about 3 elements.  carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen.  these also make up sugar C6H12O6 (table sugar).  So, if you are in the presence of CO, it will stick in the spot on Hg, more than O2.  so, you can asphyxiate.  basically, no O2 to the cells, and a 50% CO level is fatal.  It is odorless.  you can smell car exhaust, but it is not pure CO, but contains all kinds of other chemicals.  If you have a natural gas leak in your house, the risk is explosion, not carbon monoxide poisoning, as the gas is unburned.  CO is flammable as it represents not fully burned fuel.  fully burned produces CO2.  In pure CO2 we would also die as there is no O2.  In a room with some CO, you can die as it outcompetes O2 for the spot on the Hg molecule.  the treatment is to remove a patient to an environment with air not containing as much CO.  air is 21% O2 and with little CO, your body will exchange CO for O2.  It goes faster if you place the pt. on 100% O2.  Hyperbaric increases your pressure above atmospheric, so the partial pressure of O2 increases and further works to release the CO and replace it with the needed O2.  If you "need" hyperbaric, you are prob. already dead.  It is normal to have 2 to 5% CO in tested blood, and 5 to 10% in smokers.  Our bodies produce some CO.  most of the basal level is from car exhaust.  At high levels we look very red.  CO can be used to make red meat look redder for sales purposes in retail packaging.  Winter is the time this happens as people rig things up inside to combat cold despite it producing the gas.  Last case I saw was a retired guy, cleaning the floors in a carwash, with the doors on each end down, using a gas pressure washer.  He was found down on the floor after he did not return inside the quick shop.  there are oxygen bars where you can go breath it.  It is not a medical gas, but in a real emergency, I would use O2 from a welding cart.  new home furnaces and boiler are so efficient, that even with a leak in the exhaust, levels tend to be low.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I originally thought we were talking about a town in Colorado.  :D Don what are the details and why do you think you need this.  If you respond, you are prob. doing OK.  If not, sorry I did not type this sooner.   :o :o :o

:christmas:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

We're fine, I just talked to my partner and we'll take a fresh air day and move the mill. Both of us had an uncomfortable pillow between our ears and a lost puppy wandering around inside. We have the house set back down so have no fresh air coming in over the wall tops, just the bobcat ramp down in. We have fans blowing but its basically a dead end so not clearing well. We got pretty hot and heavy in there a few times yesterday. Really hit me more later than during, probably just the change of focus, still a little fogged. We just need to cool it and find places for more fans, almost done. I was hoping y'all would say "egg-nog, it has magical properties"  :D.

doc henderson

are you moving a house?  running equipment in the basement.  might get a CO.  you may be right and need a different way to get the job done.  but also, if it is normal and still have symptoms, need to look further.  makes sense if two of you had same symptoms.

Raider Bill

Quote from: doc henderson on December 17, 2021, 07:02:17 AM
I originally thought we were talking about a town in Colorado.  :D Don what are the details and why do you think you need this.  If you respond, you are prob. doing OK.  If not, sorry I did not type this sooner.   :o :o :o

:christmas:
i did too. even got google maps out to see where it was. lol
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

olcowhand

Quote from: doc henderson on December 17, 2021, 06:58:58 AMbut in a real emergency, I would use O2 from a welding cart. 

As always, your response is straightforward and understandable to those of us that don't benefit from your extensive education, @doc henderson ..... I learned something today.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

mike_belben

Don on any other forum id be pretty suspicious of two guys getting hot n heavy with a puppy pillow under a house full of fans.  

HK.  I rigged up an exhaust diverter from a piece of flashing that slips over and gets spring clamped to the handle for chainsaw milling.  Blows the stuff clear of my head, cant do without it. 
Praise The Lord

aigheadish

I have no idea if it was CO poisoning but I was in my backhoe digging a hole for a water line, in my buddy's barn last year, two big 12' wide doors wide open, and after about 10 minutes my eyes started burning and the coughing started. I decided I was close enough to done to hold my breath as much as possible and squint my way through the last few scoops. It was bad and as I got out I noticed a huge haze in the barn and rafters. No good!

I hope you are ok Don and thanks for the info doctorb and doc!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

mike_belben

Diesel smoke poisoning.. Way worse than gasoline engine.  I got sick for about 4 days from it in a diesel shop where i had to just finish honing one more bore and load up my job and leave with it that day without holding anyone up. They ran up a smoky detroit in winter and fogged the whole shop with doors shut.  I tried holding my breath but ended up breathing plenty of it.  30 mins later spraying out both ends until there was nothing left to spray. 

Very lethal stuff.
Praise The Lord

aigheadish

Gross! Sounds like I got lucky! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

gasoline fumes can be an intoxicant (huffing), and any oil-based product in the lungs messes with the water-based surfactants and membrane permeability can cause oil pneumonitis.  it is why we do not recommend mineral or castor oil for constipation in children.  I assume the cough and eyes burning was the unburned fuel in the air.  like when you try to use a diesel heat and it atomizes but does not ignite.

Don P

It was the little diesel skidsteer and I had it rolling coal to do what needed to be done. I think when you are doing that there is a fair amount of unburned fuel, a bit of wicked bad blowby oil and whatever soot is banging out of the machine. We moved lumber, sawmill and iron the following day and the fog lifted early afternoon. I think I harked up the last of the goo yesterday. We have an old chimney hole through the kitchen floor I'll try to put a fan over and shove makeup air at the problem, then just shorter cycles with more outside time. I think diesel is probably safer than gasoline, it tends to run you out.

doc henderson

It may have been more petroleum intoxication, and not carbon monoxide.  easier to tell with a lab test.   :) :)

Don P

The swifter move is probably not to be the lab rat  :D.
Thanks to both of you for the education  :).

Thank You Sponsors!