iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Special Tools Do I Need?

Started by GaTrapper, January 14, 2022, 10:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

What special tools do I need to work on my Stihl saws?  I asked my local dealer about any tools and they told me that they would not sell any to me (certain screwdrivers). 

Looking for the specific tools that I could use for basic maintenance and care. Nothing too crazy. 

Where could I get them? 

Tom King

Buy the Stihl T27 t-handled tool.  I think it's made by Wiha, but pretty easy to find with the black handle and Stihl name on it.  With that and a 5/16", or 8mm nutdriver, you can take the whole saw apart.  The nutdriver is for the carb nuts.  When you feel the driver start to twist with the T-handle tool, it's tight enough-sort of a built in torque limiter.

You also want a "saw wrench" with a screwdriver end for tightening the chain.  It fits the plug as well.  You can take the E-clip off the sprocket with the screwdriver end too.

From there you can go into bearing pullers, and case splitters, but you said "basic maintenance".

barbender

The ones your dealer won't sell you are probably the special bits for adjusting the carburetor. 
Too many irons in the fire

firefighter ontheside

I have a torx scrench that came with my Stihl weedeater that comes in handy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tacotodd

You'll only need to adjust carb if you use a different mix than factory or something similar. If it's M-tronic then it's self adjusting (more or less).
Trying harder everyday.

fluidpowerpro

Coincidentally, after reading your post earlier today, I ran across this on ebay.
EBAY LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN, REFER TO RULES
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

GaTrapper

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on January 15, 2022, 05:04:18 PM
Coincidentally, after reading your post earlier today, I ran across this on ebay.
EBAY LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN, REFER TO RULES
Link got removed. Could you send it through a PM?

GaTrapper

Is there a good online chainsaw or forestry supply store that I should purchase from? 

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Real1shepherd

Quote from: GaTrapper on January 16, 2022, 02:29:40 PM
Is there a good online chainsaw or forestry supply store that I should purchase from?
Lots of sponsors to the left. More I could tell you, but don't want them deleted.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!