iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old (choking) Habits are...

Started by Magicman, September 10, 2022, 07:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Hard to break.  Well, not really hard, I just had to remember.

Back story.  I was at my Stihl dealer getting some mix oil and I brought up cranking my MS362 and the "disposable" MS170.  He said that "the worst cranking problem that most folks have is choking". 

I have always followed my old Stihl routine; choke until it fires, knock the choke off, and then it usually runs the next pull.  He said "quit choking except for the first crank of the day".  This past week I cranked both saws a few dozen times and always without any choke, just the run position and pull. 

As it turns out I was flooding both saws without realizing it.  I have two one pull saws.  Breaking habits can be a good thing. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, but there's always that time when the saw has been sitting for hours and should I start it as a cold start or is it a warm start.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 10, 2022, 08:02:34 PMsitting for hours and should I start it as a cold start or is it a warm start.
YMMV, but I've found if I leave my saw in the full sun here in the summer, it's always a HOT start!  The one good thing about 100° days! :-\  Usually kicks over on one or two pulls without the choke.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

It's hard for me to not get in the truck and pump 3 times and set the high idle with a slow release on the third pump.

Magicman

Yup Don, that is another habit that I had to break, and it was not easy.

I just know that after the initial start, in the future my first option will always be "no choke". 

I am thinking that it's more about the saw being primed and ready than temperature.  ??  I had never thought about it either way, I had always choked.

I was actually surprised that both the 170 and the 362 became one pull starters.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, but I prefer to leave my chainsaws sitting in the garage and not use them at all on 100 deg days.  Its not the heat, but the humidity that gets ya.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

lxskllr

My saw work in the summer is limited to 'must do' tasks, and there's few of those. I've never experienced this mythical "dry heat", but I suspect it doesn't really make things that much better. Probably like the 1st class accommodations in hell  :^D

Southside

The biggest surprise here is that Magicman is now starting posts in the chainsaw section.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Guydreads

This is why I love older Husky's! Always pull with full choke until it fires, two more on the high idle where you push the choke in, and voilà she starts! 

Al_Smith

Chainsaws are like women .They are all sisters but not identical twins . My fastest saw ,a 2100 CD Husqvarna only needs one choke and a pull .Two will flood it which on that thing believe me you don't want to do .They should have built that thing with a kick starter .

Magicman

Quote from: Southside on September 11, 2022, 12:04:33 AMThe biggest surprise here is that Magicman is now starting posts in the chainsaw section. :D
Ain't Skeered !!  :)

barbender

Pretty soon he'll be arguing about the correct oil mix ratio😂
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Then someone will be posting about how great grits are.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

Grits are great! They hold down roof shingles like a rabid pitbull!

Al_Smith

Grits are below the Mason-Dixon line ,fried taters above . :)

lxskllr

I'm below the Mason/Dixon, but above the grit belt. I actually like them ok, and enjoy them when out, but you generally only see them down south, or in the mountains. Good with a country diner breakfast.

btulloh

We like fried taters down here as well as grits. Nothing wrong with having grits AND fried taters both. And then there's fried grits, but I don't see them mentioned very often. Left over grits go into a shallow bowl and put in the fridge over night. Cot into 5/16 thick slices the next morning and fry i n the bacon grease. Outstanding. 
HM126

sawguy21

Choking and grits in the same thread, that doesn't sound good. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Quote from: btulloh on September 11, 2022, 10:28:00 AM
We like fried taters down here as well as grits. Nothing wrong with having grits AND fried taters both. And then there's fried grits, but I don't see them mentioned very often. Left over grits go into a shallow bowl and put in the fridge over night. Cot into 5/16 thick slices the next morning and fry i n the bacon grease. Outstanding.
Like that too, and we called it mush. That terminology came from my mothers side of her Iowa family, I am sure. Mush was breakfast fare slathered with butter and maple syrup. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

Quote from: lxskllr on September 11, 2022, 10:17:16 AM
I'm below the Mason/Dixon, but above the grit belt. 

is the grit belt an article of clothing with extra holes in it for after you eat breakfast?   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

We called grits.....grits, and cooked cornmeal.....mush.  Both were meals between us and hungry.

doc henderson

maybe if you chew your food, you can resolve this choking problem you have.   :o   :snowball:   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Magic, my Grandpa told me that when they were little Great Grandma made them lard sandwiches- and they thought they were good! Times were tough for sure😬
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Yes, the ladies of old had the responsibility to make meals from whatever was available and they were quite creative. 

beenthere

Remember them well, when 11 yrs old and helping at Grandfathers sisters farm of meager existence. Haying all morning and coming in for dinner was a large pot of stewed tomatoes and bread. Served in a bowl. No meat, no milk, no vegetables. But Aunt Ally and Uncle Henry were might fine folk back in those days.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!