iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BF sawn per day for portable sawyers

Started by Dan_Shade, March 23, 2008, 08:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

It's those details that make such a difference.  I have cut 1700 or so of big Southern Yellow Pine
in a day, BUT...

How the logs are feeding to the saw; whether you have two off-bearers or not on big cuts;
how clean the logs are and whether you find all the metal (if applicable)... all these and more
can affect efficiency. A typical day with my swingblade is more along the 1200 - 1300 range.

I know one thing for  sure:   I would rather saw wood and stack it on someone's trailer SOLD,
than anything else.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

DR Buck

My record day with the LT40 Hyd 25 hp Gas , was just over 2500 bf, mostly oak and poplar wide boards for a barn.  I know the 3 off bearers were whipped at the end of the day and one of them didn't come back the following day.  ;D

I average around 12-1300 bf in 8 hr when custom sawing.   Mostly limited by the customers help and crappy logs.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

dboyt

For the guy who commented about SAWLEX, the logs were all cleaned up, checked for metal and loaded on the decks before the clock started.  Most band mills used seperate edgers (swing blade mills didn't seem to need them).  Comparing sawlex to a full day of production is like comparing a sprint to a marathon.  To me, the question is "what percent of the time do you spend making sawdust?".  Typical cutting jobs involve a lot of time in log & lumber handling.  My old 24 hp TimberHarvester and I can put out a little over 1,000 bd ft oak, if the logs are good and everything is working right.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Firebass

I Savor every moment around the mill.  I voted 500 to 1000 per day solo.  But I like to load a log, cut a stack of boards then sit on the bench made from the half-log I just cut and just take in smell of newly cut sawdust with fresh air.  That's about the time the dogs come over to bury something in the sawdust pile and plea with me to play they're game.   I guess I could cut with a helper 2000 plus but that wouldn't be near as much fun.

Firebass

Lenny_M

I average around 1000 bf per day give or take depending on log size,dirt,and sizes of lumber being sawn. Thats plenty with a lt40g25 with manual deck.
                                                                 Lenny

OneWithWood

I am slow. . .

I average about 600bf/day for an 8 hour day if all goes smoothly.  Cutting 1x out of logs, stacking on kiln carts, edging on the mill, off-loading slabs and waste into the back of a truck, sweeping the dust off of each layer on the kiln carts, stickering, rolling logs onto the loading forks, trimming logs if customer is a lousy bucker, arguing with my two helpers, me and myself :)

WM Lt40 with hydraulics and a 25hp Kohler gas engine.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

schmism

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 23, 2008, 08:35:21 AM
Yesterday I sawed 2350 international scaled bf of pine into 2x6s for a customer, and we were all whipped! 

i curious... do you slab off as quick as possible to get to a 6x_ cant and just start sliceing off 2x6 and leave all the other slabs/flitches to a ripper?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Dan_Shade

I saw down pulling flitches until I get a 6" wide cant, then saw through and through.  after I saw through and through, I edge the flitches.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

willowrunlmbr

hello all,
Is this edged or unedged.  On a good 9 hr day in nice grade logs we can saw 3000-3500 4/4 and 3.5's.  Small walnut (8-10") 1500-2000.  One week last spring we ran 20,400 bf in 43 hours (4.5 days, they quit early on fridays  ::), RO 3/4 and 8/4, and 3.5"s. One man sawing, one tailing, one on loader.  Coulda had more but we hit about 10 blades worth of hardware.  Haven't come close since.
Super LT40G36, JD544B, NH LX 885, coupla stihls, sore back, and never enough time

Thank You Sponsors!