iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poison Ivy Prevention

Started by Ford_man, February 19, 2015, 11:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_man

I know that Poison Ivy is not on your mind right now. I have found an oral prevention that works. Myself and Grand son have used it for 3 years and have not had any PI. it cost around $18. You can get it at (http://www.poisonivyprevention.com/) It cost less than trying to cure PI.

Magicman

Interesting.

My prevention method has been centered around "identification and avoidance".  Most of the time it works, but failure is always lurking.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. If I am sweating and I come in contact with it....I get a very minor rash....and I mean I can rub the stuff on me and only a minor rash. Now, it itches like crazy and sometimes I'll take my back foot and reach up and scratch it.  :D

If I'm not sweating and come in contact with it, it does not bother me.

One thing I do keep in my mind.....if I am burning wood with Poison Oak, Ivy or Sumac.....I DO NOT breath the smoke. This stuff can be deadly if brought into the lungs.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 19, 2015, 02:13:49 PM

One thing I do keep in my mind.....if I am burning wood with Poison Oak, Ivy or Sumac.....I DO NOT breath the smoke. This stuff can be deadly if brought into the lungs.

I was going to comment earlier on that. I was going to load a couple pictures to ask you guys if breathing smoke from one of those could cause a reaction. I don't have the pics handy.

A few weeks back, I had two 9 year old grandsons at a snowmobile race. The track had burning barrels set all around and people got a good sized bonfire going near turn 1. Of course the kids were all over the track throughout  the day and hanging out around the fires. The next day, one of kids had a very bad reaction to something. He woke up with his eyes completely swollen shut. His entire face was bloated and he had a red rash on his neck and arms. The ER Doctor suspected Poison Oak or one of the others. Steroids didn't seem to phase it. The swelling and rash lasted about 10 days for him.

Kid #2 didn't show any symptoms until the following Tuesday (3 days later). He showed no swelling, just red blotches on his face and arms. His lasted for about a week. A call to the school told us there 5 or 6 kids with the same symptoms that were at the race.

I can only guess that the Ash they were burning may have had Poison Ivy on the bark. We didn't here of any adults that reacted, but they probably moved away from any smoke.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Buckshot00

I'm like Magicman.  ID and avoid.  I can just about look at it and get it.

StimW

To better explain it,  It's oil in poison ivy that causes the rash and when you burn it the oil turns to vapor and worst case you can inhale it. It can be fatal!
My policy is NEVER BURN!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

thecfarm

I've been spraying it here on The C Farm for years. I have it on the edge of the field. It's in the woods. I keep spraying,but it keeps coming back. I have heard you can catch it even through the snow. No,on the burning part. Ask my brother about that working for the town in high school. They burned a banken and poison ivy was growing there. First week,out of work.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: StimW on February 19, 2015, 08:25:10 PM

My policy is NEVER BURN!

But sometimes ya just can't help it when your looking at a 200 acre under story burn.  :) :) :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JB Griffin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 19, 2015, 08:37:28 PM
Quote from: StimW on February 19, 2015, 08:25:10 PM

My policy is NEVER BURN!

But sometimes ya just can't help it when your looking at a 200 acre under story burn.  :) :) :)

A Yup, had a big for around here fire last weekend burnt by my guess 100-125ac, prolly burnt some poison ivy too. ;)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Skidder Kev

for prevention we use a gel that you put on your skin before you come in contact with it.  My boss uses it more then i do and it seems to work ok for him.   It doesn't seem to bother me as bad.   

We have worked a few jobs where the ivy was just everywhere we had no choice but to walk through, choke logs, skid.  It sucked but when every we stopped for lunch or the end of the day we would have a spray bottle of soap and water to spray our arms down with, even the handles on the saws, and skidder got it it seemed to help out alot. 

As for this pill I don't think I will be taking it,  plus I don't think you can even get it in Canada.

Kev

bfaldrich61

An Amish friend told me he uses baby wipes after he leaves a woodlot with poison ivy. Supposedly, the wipes absorb the oils. He was always affected VERY bad, but this has helped him a significantly. The quicker the wipes are used, the better. Sometimes you can identify, but can't avoid.

Ford_man

kculler;   It is not a pill it is a liquid that is in 3 small bottles ( 1 dose ) you take 1 a week for 3 weeks.
It works for the whole year.

Glenn1

Sure glad you mentioned that it is an oral treatment.  I first thought it had to be injected     :'(
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Thank You Sponsors!