iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice early log rail truck video

Started by low_48, January 22, 2014, 09:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

Peter Drouin

I like that , logs for rails , you could cut in put down rails and work your way in , pick-up on the way out  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

enigmaT120

I've never heard of that method!  It looks like they just took the tires off the rims of the truck/vehicle.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

thecfarm

Kinda looked like belt powered? Interesting. Must of had something on the "rims" to keep it from slippping. Must of been able to hold back going down hill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

that's neat thanks for showing       that's how mag wheels where invented  8) 8) 8)

thenorthman

the logs worked just like iron rails, the weight of the truck and the shape of the wheels is all the traction needed, for really steep stuff they have the winch on there for pulling and slacking down when needed.

Full blown trains are better in many ways, not the least being that they could carry more weight on iron rails, but considering the expense of building rail road, the log rails made it feasable to sneak into hard to get places without loosing your shirt in the process.

This method came about just as log trucks where coming on the scene, making trains and the log rails obsolete.  By the early 40's-50's the FS was converting everything over to dirt road, the big companies fallowed suit.

What I wouldn't give to ride a Shay deep into the cacades to go get a bunch of old growth... born in the wrong decade I guess.
well that didn't work

thenorthman

up until a few years ago some of the smaller log bridges where still in use, remains of the train and rail era.  I remember a few with ruts cut into them so the trucks wouldn't slip off to one side, guard rails where just unheard of...

come to think of it there might still be a few left been awhile since I've been back in there...

by log bridges I mean 2 logs spanning a deep gully, maybe, just maybe a few pieces of old rail road tie to keep em from spreading apart, usually resting on some convenient boulders, and lashed down with some rotten cable.
well that didn't work

enigmaT120

Quote from: thenorthman on January 24, 2014, 12:34:19 AM
This method came about just as log trucks where coming on the scene, making trains and the log rails obsolete.  By the early 40's-50's the FS was converting everything over to dirt road, the big companies fallowed suit.

Yeah.  The old rail lines, now logging roads, are great places to go riding my bike -- less steep.  The industrial timber land owners keep the gates closed most of the time now, so there's no car traffic to deal with.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

coxy

Quote from: thenorthman on January 24, 2014, 12:40:34 AM
up until a few years ago some of the smaller log bridges where still in use, remains of the train and rail era.  I remember a few with ruts cut into them so the trucks wouldn't slip off to one side, guard rails where just unheard of...

come to think of it there might still be a few left been awhile since I've been back in there...

by log bridges I mean 2 logs spanning a deep gully, maybe, just maybe a few pieces of old rail road tie to keep em from spreading apart, usually resting on some convenient boulders, and lashed down with some rotten cable.
maybe some time you could take some pics of that old stuff I like to see pics of the past :) thanks

thenorthman

I'd have to remember where they are :D  I sorta remember where one of em is, but they did some more logging back there a few years ago, they may have rebuilt the bridge (if not they really should have :D)

Lots of these crazy old roads are on DNR land, which means gates and tank traps for the most part (worthless tweekers anyways).  There is a concrete one on Green Mountain near Granite Falls, that bypasses a cliff face.  Its the type with a short little guard rail (curb really) and at least 100' down.  There was a big slide so you can't quite make it in that far.  The creepy part is the *DanG thing bounces just a little bit and the cliff face looks like its moving next to your mirror...

Anyway I'm rambling again, Someday when I'm not working or logging I just know I'll get lost and find another one.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!