iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to thin?

Started by rcanderson1968, April 01, 2012, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcanderson1968

I have a friend who has about 500 acres of timber in the coast range in northwest Oregon.  Most of it is managed for the production of saw timber, but on one 5 acre piece that was planted with Douglas fir in 1988, he wants to grow very high quality clear wood.  So the trees have been pruned up to over 20 feet and the density is about 330 trees per acre.  He recently took some samples with an increment borer and the outer most inch average about 7 to 8 growth rings.  The next inch closer to the center averaged about 4 to 5 growth rings. I haven't made any measurements, but I estimate the average DBH is about 7 to 8 inches.  Is it time to thin?
"...It's a good rifle - and killed the bear that killed me.  Anyway I'm Dead.  Yours Truly, Hatchet Jack"

beenthere

Is he aiming for high quality dimension, or a board market?

For the high quality wood, he needs to keep from growing his trees too fast. More than 6 rings per inch and as little earlywood as possible to help keep the wood in the "dense" grading category.

Interesting project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

If the crown ration falls below 40%, it is time to thin.  Needles grow wood.  You need healthy crowns with good needle density. 

Crown ratio is the height (length) of the live crown (green needles) divided by the total height of the tree.  98% (just my estimate) of people thin too late, and then, do not thin heavily enough.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rcanderson1968

Beenthere, He's definitely thinking these trees will produce wood that's suited for a higher value use than dimension lumber.    He will have a lot of clear, tight grain Douglas fir.  The question is finding the balance between growing the trees fast, but not so fast that you get few growth rings per inch.  Your comment about the early wood vs. late wood ratio is interesting. Has anyone figured out for sure how foresters can manage for more late wood?

WDH, right now the crowns are about 50% of the tree height.
"...It's a good rifle - and killed the bear that killed me.  Anyway I'm Dead.  Yours Truly, Hatchet Jack"

WDH

The % of latewood is directly correlated to the amount of summer and late summer rainfall for many species. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

From what I recall of my time out there, the typical industrial rotation called for the first thinning somewhere between 25-30 years old, depending on site conditions but he should know that if he has 495 other acres in timber production!  It's a tough call as to what should be done to meet his management goals, few people have trod where he is going.

WDH mentions % live crown ratio which is a good thing to keep in mind, the other is that if you let them go too long at 330 trees/acre, they will get too tall and spindly and have a hard time staying upright if you thin them too late.  I'd be inclined to thin them in the next several years but not as heavy as a "normal" first thinning.  Maybe do several thinnings but never taking that much in one operation?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

rcanderson1968

UPDATE:  I talked to my friend and I had the growth rings per inch wrong.  The trees now have about 11 growth rings in the outer inch instead of 7 to 8.

SwampDonkey

Earlywood width is pretty much constant by species and site, it's the latewood that is more variable. This is easiest to demonstrate in ring porous hardwoods as you see the big pores in the earlywood, then the pores are smaller and more spaced out in the latewood and form a pattern in some species like elm. Better growing conditions and more crown gives wider latewood. Bigger crown means more knot wood to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Why not contact the U of Oregon Forestry staff with your question
I'm sure they have done lots of research on this subject.
Pete

why
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

BaldBob

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on May 10, 2012, 06:15:33 PM
Why not contact the U of Oregon Forestry staff with your question
I'm sure they have done lots of research on this subject.
Pete
OSU NOT U of O.

why

Thank You Sponsors!