iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ham'n Blackeyes

Started by Tom, January 01, 2004, 05:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

To cold and crappy to saw this weekend so Patty was nice enough to make the trip to the grocery store for me.

I let it cook for about three hours and made up some homemade bread while I waited. Boy did the house ever smell good.

I ate so much I was miserable. I told Patty to remind me next time that warmed up baked beans is not a side dish.

I'm staying at least 20' from the fireplace today.  :D

Haytrader

This is Mrs. Haytrader.  He was telling me about all the replies and posts to blackeyed peas.  I used to put up blackeyed peas years ago.  After I shelled them I would put them in a pillowcase and put them in the freezer.  I would take out the amount that I wanted to cook, wash them, and put them in a pressure cooker with some bacon or ham. My grandmother did it this way but I am afraid the tradition has stopped as my girls don't do gardens.  
Haytrader

Jeff

We usually let the beans soak over night before making soup. If we do make it the same day we call it K-Bean soup.

K stands for Killer ;D

Welcome to da board Mrs Haytrader!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

Lots of great idears. I need to make some baked beans, and I hadn't done the corn bread in a cast iron pan in a long time. Learned that from the ex-mother in law from NC She made it so good. I used to have a mid-sized cast-iron pan. Now all I have is big-uns (pans..) New England baked beans- bacon or salt pork, molasses, onion, a little mustard, a little ginger (helps with the gas)- the husband has a NYrs res to diet- I am not helping any with this kinda thought process. But at least I am getting to eat up the can o poppycock he got for Christmas.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Patty

Mrs. Haytrader!

Nice to see you post on the forum...it is a nice place to hang out. :)  
I've seen your woodworking skills, and they are very nice, I bet you cook as good as you saw!

Be patient with the daughters not gardening, I didn't learn about the wonders of a garden until I was in my 30's and the kids were old enough to pull weeds.. ;D

Hope you find the time to post now and then, it is fun to learn from each other's wisdom, and some not so wisdom, posts...
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

L. Wakefield

Yes, kids and gardening.. mine loved the food, helped shell peas or snap beans or shuck corn with only mild protest- did a *tiny* bit of gardening when very young- ornamental corn, popcorn- and then were persuaded as teenagers to do quality garden work for pay- but it hasn't taken off yet as adults. I think that may come with land ownership. There is a hunger in some of us to make the land produce. I hope it is built into them by their childhood experiences. Theirs was actually richer than mine. I hope it 'takes', eventually.   8) 8)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Weekend_Sawyer

Hoppinjon. Thats what Mom used to call Blackeyed peas and rice. Only the single most enjoyable dish I have ever had. We grow lots of Blackeyed Peas and Limas every year. Had a bumper crop this year and put about 40 pints in the freezer. Mom taught me to put them in boiling water for 3 minutes then put them in freezer bags with some of the brine from blanching. They keep for 2 years that way. We put up Corn (off the cob) and limas the same way.

WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

CHARLIE

Oooooooooooooooooooooooo I luvs Hoppin' John.  Just thinkin' of it makes me HONGRY!!!!  I think I just might have to fix me some tomorrow. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!