iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your Christmas Meal ??

Started by Magicman, December 22, 2015, 10:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We have the traditional Turkey for Thanksgiving and there will be Ham for New Year, so for the past several years our main Christmas dish has been Gumbo.  In it will be Shrimp, Crawfish, Sausage, and probably Duck along with the other gumbo stuff like onion, celery, etc.  But first she has to make a Roux.  ;)   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

We typically have turkey and dressing and/or baked ham. We have green bean casserole (french cut beans, mushroom soup and dried onions) apple and raisin (now sometimes apple and cranberry) salad, rolls, cranberry sauce, yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie. We usually do a joint dinner at my son's place with his in-laws so the wives divvy up the cooking so not such a big load on any of them and not as many leftovers to eat for the week afterwards after they get divided and sent home.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

We do ours Christmas Eve. Christmas day I like to get on the bike and ride while everyone's off the road. This year I'm told it will be a standing rib roast, roasted red potatoes, green beans and a salad of some kind.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LittleJohn

...we are having the annual Christmas Brunch!  So egg bake of some form (probably egg muffins), fresh fruit and other stuff

Hope the Mother-in-law brings her Bloody Mary mix, how else can I put up with the In-laws ;D

Grizzly

Turkey (or chicken), stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, vegetables (peas, corn, carrots,...), sweet potatoes, bean casserole, and she'll probably find some other stuff to serve. We're having a houseful of guests who don't have family gatherings to go to that day. Friends and a day of visiting/fellowship........ it don't get better than that! We don't always do this on the 25th but it seems to happen often as that day seems to leave many people with no where to go and that includes us. So we carry on.........

Oh yeah, my wife and the children always make something call pepper nuts which if I understand correctly is just anglicized from a plautdietsch word. They usually make enough food for the army and then wonder why I just graze for the day instead of enjoying the formal meal. Oh well, I'll once again try and fit in.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Texas Ranger

What ever the daughters choose to feed us, first time when we will have dinner at the kids house.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

Usually turkey, stuffing, ham, either sweet potatoes or butternut squash, a few different salads and a tray of vegetables/dip.  As Grizzly stated I too tend to graze too much (but it's still good eatin' ;) ). 

samandothers

We usually do a traditional Christmas Eve Lousiana style oyster stew with Tabasco, some pepper, artichoke hearts.. very spicy and good!  We also will do meat balls, cocktail sausages, cheeses and crackers maybe some hams or sausages and bread more kinda of a snack food.  Christmas is usually at someone else's home.  Use to be my parents or Betty's parents.  Now it may be son's or brothers where it was / is turkey and/or ham with traditional fixins.

Chuck White

We are planning on a turkey and a ham for dinner.

The turkey will be cooked the day before, allowed to cool, then sliced and put in the fridge until Christmas Day!

The ham will go in the oven Christmas morning along with the prepared turkey!

Different, but we thought we'd give it a go!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Cheerios with sauteed onions  8)
Boy, back in my day..

samandothers

kensfarm

We always had so much pre-dinner munching food..  cheeses, crackers, nuts, cookies, dips, sweets, smoked deer, deer summer sausage, and on & on.. that if you ate too much dinner.. you wouldn't have room for the 12 different deserts diff. family members brought.  Add a comfy spot on the couch to nap between eating sessions.. Back in the day.. my dog would steal food from my little nieces & nephews.. they would hold the food so close to the ground.. it was a good lesson..  for the kids. 

thecfarm

Most years it's all finger food. Lots of cheese,meat,bread,chips,dip,sweets. Which is fine by me.  ;D  This frees up the cook and keeps her out of the kitchen and me doing dishes. BUT this year the step son wants a spiral ham. Which Mom said yes. Which is fine by me.  ;D  But it won't be a meal like Thanksgiving. Only peas,carrots,potatoes and those brown and serve rolls. The cook needs time with the family. Seems like we don't get together like we use too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Quote from: samandothers on December 22, 2015, 08:33:01 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on December 22, 2015, 06:00:51 PM
Cheerios with sauteed onions  8)

Care to elaborate?

Sorry it's a secret recipe, I've already said too much! :-X
Boy, back in my day..

Ljohnsaw

We had the traditional Thanksgiving meal, but I love turkey.  Since it will be less people, I figure I would do a turkey breast - but it cost more than a big bird?!?  And since I love the dark meat, a whole turkey it is!! 

So turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, cranberries and some sort of veggie.  Might do homemade Parker House rolls again.  We had a few more sides at Thanksgiving.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sandsawmill14

we will have a baked country cured ham digin_2 instead of turkey other than that about the same as thanksgiving
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sawguy21

We don't know yet, we will be spending the day with friends. Rest assured it will be good, this lady can cook. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

AK Newbie

All the kiddos are home for the Holidays so we are going with Alaskan King Crab legs along with spotted prawns caught this summer in Prince William sound!  Followed by some delicious home baked desserts!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

cbla

Turkey, potatoes, turnip puff, carrots, stuffing, homemade rolls, apple pie, apple crisp and a nap.

scgargoyle

We almost always do beef on Christmas Day. This year, the missus is working Christmas Day (hospitals never close) so we've pushed the roast all the way out to Sunday. Lately, I've been doing a New York Strip roast, and we like it better than prime rib. I slow smoke it on the smoker, then do a reverse sear so the inside stays rare, but has a good bark on it. Mashed taters, home made bread, green beans, and whatever else we dream up.

Christmas Eve is finger food- Swedish meatballs, shrimp, limpa bread, lots of other goodies.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

coxy

Quote from: AK Newbie on December 23, 2015, 05:08:59 AM
All the kiddos are home for the Holidays so we are going with Alaskan King Crab legs along with spotted prawns caught this summer in Prince William sound!  Followed by some delicious home baked desserts!
that's not right  >:( >:( all I get is prim rib  :( :(   :) :)

samandothers

Quote from: coxy on December 23, 2015, 07:59:13 AM
Quote from: AK Newbie on December 23, 2015, 05:08:59 AM
that's not right  >:( >:( all I get is prim rib  :( :(   :) :)

I'd love to sit at either one of your tables!!!!  Man all that sounds mouth watering.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Grizzly on December 22, 2015, 12:24:43 PM
Turkey (or chicken), stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, vegetables (peas, corn, carrots,...), sweet potatoes, bean casserole, and she'll probably find some other stuff to serve. We're having a houseful of guests who don't have family gatherings to go to that day. Friends and a day of visiting/fellowship........ it don't get better than that! We don't always do this on the 25th but it seems to happen often as that day seems to leave many people with no where to go and that includes us. So we carry on.........

Oh yeah, my wife and the children always make something call pepper nuts which if I understand correctly is just anglicized from a plautdietsch word. They usually make enough food for the army and then wonder why I just graze for the day instead of enjoying the formal meal. Oh well, I'll once again try and fit in.

Are you taking about pfeffernussen?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Grizzly

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 23, 2015, 09:01:25 AM
Quote from: Grizzly on December 22, 2015, 12:24:43 PM

Are you taking about pfeffernussen?

Entirely possible. I'll have to ask my Mom or MIL and see if that's the one. Folks spoke it but chose not to teach the next generation. I think it had to do with being able to discuss our discipline without us figuring it out!!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

davemartin88

Will do a big roast for Christmas Eve, family is leaving on Christmas Day so we'll have pizza for two. I built a wood fired pizza oven a few years ago and since the weather will be nice, will fire it up about 1 pm. Ready by 3, homemade pizza dough and sauce, lots of topping choices. Pizza cooks in about 2 minutes at 900 degrees. Oven will still be over 400 degrees the next morning so will do a beer can chicken and homemade Rustic bread to not waste the heat.

Thank You Sponsors!