iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corn Bread

Started by Magicman, December 03, 2019, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, related to Grits because they are both made from corn but Cornbread needs it's own topic.

One word or two?  It works both ways and either is OK with me.  Cornmeal is much finer grind than Grits, but other than that, I don't know the difference.  When we buy our cornmeal here in the South it is "Self Rising" meaning that it already has the baking soda and salt, etc.

PatD is a cornbread making Queen but as the Children/Grandchildren have found out, there is no "recipe".  She just puts the ingredients together and it always works:  She uses equal parts of self rising cornmeal and self rising flour, an egg, some oil/butter, buttermilk, couple of spoons of sugar, and water.  She pours this mixture into a hot iron skillet that has a bit of oil in it.  

Good cornbread doesn't need to be thick and should be rather lightweight with bubble holes in it.  I don't believe that there is a wrong way to eat it nor a wrong thing to eat it with.

A quick look through the "Food" album in my Gallery showed several instances where I thought that Cornbread was important.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

We have Mexican corn bread which is my all time favorite, although any good cornbread is hard to beat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

Yuumm! I got in trouble one time when invited to dinner with my boss and I kept raving about how good the cornbread was and finally his wife said "It's just a mix". I think she had added a spoonful of sugar which was new to me but I really like. I'm thinking cornbread, dry green limas or speckled butterbeans seasoned with pork (Pork chop, loin, stew or sausage) and cole slaw is a near perfect meal.

I have said before but I prefer the corners and ever since she found out my wife has made it in a round pan just for spite. Cast iron is the ticket for good cornbread.

My old mentor would take his corn to mill and he would sift the meal and get the fine grits off them and he would also separate his fine and coarse grits. Coarse grits took longer to cook but I preferred them. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

I had never heard of cornbread until we visited mom's relatives in the east while in my teens. Was it ever good with maple syrup, MMMM mmmm. Lots of corn in the west but no cornbread. :-\
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

I remember many times when my supper meal was Cornbread and Milk.  It was ¾ glass of milk and then filled the rest of the way with cornbread.  Crush it up and eat it with a spoon. 

I never was too much on buttermilk, so mine was always "sweet" milk. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

I make my cornbread using the recipe on the back of Indian Head brand cornmeal.
to that I add 1 finely chopped jalapeno, some chopped onion and a can of creamed corn.
and then I heat my big cast iron skillet up on the big green egg and cook it in the BGE but not using any smoking wood, just charcoal.
It gets a slight smoky flavor, great!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 05, 2019, 08:54:24 AM
I make my cornbread using the recipe on the back of Indian Head brand cornmeal. to that I add 1 finely chopped jalapeno, some chopped onion and a can of creamed corn.

sounds like mexican cornbread,finest kind.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!