iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

strange food

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 27, 2020, 07:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Reading Rob's post on the trotters, made me think of a weird food a friend,now deceased told me about.
They were a rather poor family of Italian origin whose father immigrated in the 30s settling in upstate NY 
A fairly staple food in the summer was Robins, yes this is not a typo.
Gives a new slant on the old four and twenty blackbirds.
I cant remember how he told me they were prepared.
I'm sure many of you have some unusual dishes that you can share here. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

I grew up in N Fla and my old mentor ate every robin he could get. I used to shoot them out of holly trees there and take them to him. He was also a master quail trapper and ate the breasts of redbirds and thrashers that got in his trap. I remember a redbird breast is not much bigger than the end of your thumb and very dark meat.

I worked in Africa and other remote locations and they'd eat things a Cajun would pass up. Almost every local menu would have Varans (Nile Monitor lizard), snakes, crocodile, porcupines (often listed as Porky Pigs), I have seen zebra tongue, scaly anteater, etc. On a remote trek to see the Kome (Koo Mah) people in northern Cameroon (first contacted in 1984) we stopped on a break and we were eating some raisins and my guide asked what they were so I explained and gave him some. He tasted them then started spitting them out then went back to eating his termites.

I grew up eating alligator snapping turtle, softshell turtles, raccoons, squirrel, groundhog, beaver, and other more common small game and deer meat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

I don't blame the poor guy for spitting raisins,  best way to ruin a pie next to coconut.

Texas Ranger

As a kid with a .22 and fixated on the wilderness, I ate Robin, cooked in the field, once.  Not enough meat or taste for all the work.  Everything else was fair game.  The worse was bar b q whistle pig.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

Not familiar with a 'whistle pig', what is that? @Nebraska Save your raisins for me, I love a good pie. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas Ranger

ground hog. the very worse I ever tried to cook, and or eat.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Nebraska

That's  why we send them to Pennsylvania. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!