iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

detroit diesel question - 671 ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, November 18, 2005, 01:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Hello, I want to cut the belt on what appears to be the belt driven air compressor on my old 671 detroit . It looks as if it has coolant lines coming and going from it and alos 2 places where the air brake line and the air gauge line attach .But it also has 2 big rubber hoses like 1-1/2" in diameter going to and from it going into the side of the block . My questions are - what are air boxes? If I cut the v belt off this air compressor will the motor still run ok or is air somehow needed in the block ?  I dont need this air compressor at all unless there is something I dont understand about a detroit and what looks like inspection covers going down the side of the block but I had heard these are called air boxes and now its all confusing . Thanks
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

Here is the area outlined in red that shows the air compressor and also some of the inspection covers on the side of the block that I once heard are called air boxes but all I want to do is walk up and cut the belt with a knife and throw it away and just leave this air compressor hanging there for the rest of its life.

tnlogger

UB the covers are inspection ports as far as the compresser I dont think it has any thing to do with the engine. if thats out of a truck it's just for the air brakes. just make sure it dosn't run the fan .  :)
gene

Bernie

isawlogs

UB ..

I beleive that the coolant lines where there to cool the compressor , nothing to do with the motor .  Now if the compressor still works why not put a tank on there and have some air lines to run tools . If no use for the compressor take the belt off .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Ok tnlogger I better run out and click a a good close up but just what youre saying puts me at ease . I be back in 20 mintues with a good picture as I am dying to put the belt on the hydraulic pump and this DanG belt is just in the way and too much stuff around to release the tension so my steak knife is going to do it for me ! Be right back and thanks

UNCLEBUCK

Wow you guys work fast. Thanks Bernie and Marcel . I think I know what to do allready but here is pic just so I dont regret cutting that belt . I guess its that word airbox that put the mystery in it. 

isawlogs

That belt only run compressor . Get the pump rolling .  ;) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Oh that sounds good to me Marcel !  I get to see if a 7 gallon hydraulic reservoir is big enough and want to try out the old drag chain sawdust remover . Used a hyd drill fill motor to run the drag chain . I go cut that belt right now ! Thanks forestry forum pit crew !  8) smiley_horserider

james

on the old 671 det diesels part of the intake system for a non turbo enj was often called an airbox
james :P :P

isawlogs

UB

And  ??? ??? How much sawdust you piling up .  ??? ??? ??? ;D

Marcel

D._Frederick

The air-box is around the lower part of the cylinder and injects compressed air into the holes around the lower part of the cylinder. The air is compressed by the rotory compressor.

Using this air in your brake compressor helps by it being filtered and compressed. If you run this compressor, you want to have it cooled by water or it will burn up.

UNCLEBUCK

Ok thanks james , marcel the drag chain doesnt have one chip on it yet but it will very soon.  Now I guess my last question is to D.  . I have the air compressor belt off now and do you or anyone think I have to worry about not having that compressed air being forced in around the lower cylinders ?  I am thinking from what you wrote D. that the air comes from the lower cylinders to the compressor but if its the other way around where the compressor is needed to push air to the lower cylinders then maybe I better get a belt back on it? Thanks for the help . So all I did was take the belt off and if thats ok to run the motor like that I will move on to the next project  ;D

Quartlow

Air compressor has nothing to do with the motor running, Cut the belt!!!

The roots blower on the other side of the engine provides the compressed air for the air box

Quote from: james on November 18, 2005, 04:21:12 PM
on the old 671 det diesels part of the intake system for a non turbo enj was often called an air box
james :P :P

Actually being turbo charged or not has nothing to do with it. It's still called an air box.
In reality they will run with out a blower and only a turbo but they have to have on or the other since there are no intake valves.

Remember the old bobtail truck races years ago? The guys who ran Detroit's took the roots blowers off and ran turbos only, To get them started they would start cranking them over and inject a blast of compressed air into the air box, once the turbo spooled up it would stay running. Only drawback was if you stalled it you where done. Also they had to Idle them at about 1300RPM's to keep the turbo spooled up enough to keep them running. The reason they did this was it takes upwards of 50 HP to run the blower

I grew up with old detroits, brother ran a hot 6-71 right up to a few years ago when he retired. Dad ran nothing but 12V-71's hopped up with twin turbos and big injectors. I can't tell you how many times I helped Dad replace a piston and liner in the middle of the week due to him racing and burning a hole in a piston, Man them where the days.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

UNCLEBUCK

Oh boy that does sound cool quartlow and thanks for the info !  Thanks everyone !  What a wild and fun motor  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!