iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work boot

Started by bodagocreek2, November 22, 2018, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodagocreek2

Just wondering what a good work boot to wear in the woods winter and summer such as insulated/ waterproof etc. Currently and for many years wore Red Wings. Just thought their might be something different/better. Any suggestions?

John Mc

Are you looking for chainsaw cut protection, or just a work boot?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bodagocreek2

Just a 8 inch high all around work boot.

DPatton

There are a lot of options out there for boots, some good, some not so good. Personally I still believe that you get what you paid for with boots the majority of the time.
   I just purchased a pair of Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots (made by Red Wing) this past week. My old boots (different brand and less expensive) still appeared to be in ok shape on the outside, but they were killing my feet. I have previously owned two pairs of the Elk Trackers, so I decided to pay up and go back to them. 
  They are an all leather 10" boot with 800 grams of thinsulate and Goretex. I wear them year round for working, hunting, and at the sawmill. It's amazing how much better my feet already feel after just one week. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Dave Shepard

It really sucks when you have wide feet. I used to wear Red Wings, but they don't make a very wide shoe. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DPatton

I wear wides too. My Red Wing store didn't have wide in stock but were able to order them in, it took about two weeks.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Dave Shepard

I don't wear wide shoes. I wear w  i  d  e shoes. I've got EEEEEE wide boots on now, but I have to get them wet and stretch them to get them on. I once asked Hitchcock Wide Shoes why they didn't actually sell wide shoes. They didn't like that. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Busysawyer

Back in my commercial construction days it was almost always redwings. Occasionally I'd get a pair of Carolina or Wolverines.  Overall I liked redwings the best but none of them would last more than 6 months on the job. Since I quit that line of work boots last much longer.  If you are looking for something very comfortable and well built I absolutely love my meindel perfekt hiker. No steel toe if you need that these wont work for you. I've been wearing mine almost everyday for 3 years. They are a little beat up and some of the stitching is coming off but considering the hours on them I'm thoroughly impressed. Very comfortable hiking boot for spring, summer, and fall. A little on the warm side for summer and not enough insulation for long days outdoors in Michigan winters but it's a good compromise.  If you have deep pockets try a pair of filson. I've always wanted to try them but couldn't bring myself the pay the price.  I have a few filson garments that I received for Christmas gifts many years ago and they are very well made. If I had the cash all I'd wear is filson clothing.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

lxskllr

I wear combat boots. I have various styles/generations, and pick which I'll wear according to conditions. I get most of them from thrift shops, but I bought one pair new. They're perfect for my purposes. They wear pretty well, are comfortable, and relatively tall. They also go well with the BDU/ACUs I wear. I wear them military style with my pants tucked in the top. Keeps bugs out, and I can walk in mud up to my knees, and it doesn't get in my boots, or jammed up the pant cuffs.

Magicman

Always steel toe.  John Deere in the Summer and Danner in the Winter, both waterproof/resistant.  I avoid lug soles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmaker

Wolverine for 3 seasons, Lacross Ice kings in the winter; I really hate cold feet
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

hopm

Last 2 pair I've bought have been Danner quarry. Good boot. Last pair I got off Ebay for $33. Looked new.

WV Sawmiller

I wear CE Schmidt 9" logger boots from TSC around the mill and am well pleased with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Logger RK

Carolina Steel Toe Logger's in the summer & Sorel Caribou's in the winter. Iv tried more expensive summer boots,but didn't seem to last much longer then the cheaper ones. 

DPatton

Quote from: woodmaker on November 22, 2018, 09:26:00 PM
Wolverine for 3 seasons, Lacross Ice kings in the winter; I really hate cold feet
Woodmaker,
Years ago I used to wear Wolverine boots too, and really liked them. But the local "Foremost Outfitter" started limiting the number of brands they offered and started offering much more of their own brand of footwear. Wolverine was one of the brands they stopped selling.
 Like you and others here have said both LaCross and Danner make good boots too, but there arch support design is just not right for my flat wide feet.

D & S Sawmill Services

Wudman

American made Red Wings.......Most of the lower end Red Wing brand is imported now.  I'm getting about 4 years out of a pair of the American made ones.  I'm on my third pair at the moment.  I wear them every day, but I take decent care of them.  I do work in a fairly dry environment now.  In my days in the swamps, about 6 months was all I could get out of a pair of boots.  It was Rocky's and Timberlands in those days.  Those brands have both gone downhill in my opinion.  I change the insoles out as needed and wear a pair of the WalMart step on the Dr. Scholl's computer inserts.  They made a major difference in my life.  I also wear the lifetime guarantee Red Head socks from Bass Pro Shops year round.  I've traded some of those in 5 times.  When I put on a pair of regular socks, my feet are miserable.  My wife is a nurse and spends 8 hour shifts on concrete.  I finally convinced her to buy a pair of the insoles and it has her walking comfortably again (planar fasciitis).  I wear an 11 1/2 EEE.  I have had to order them. They can be rebuilt if you choose to go that route.  I have opted for a new pair.  Four years into a $300 purchase is a pretty good per unit return.

Wudman  
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

terrifictimbersllc

I wear Wesco Jobmaster 12" boots.  Regular leather in the summer, another pair black silicone leather with thinsulate insulation in the winter.  Both are custom fit cost extra at the beginning but second pair was copied and worth it.   I just had the first pair completely rebuilt by them late summer, really just like new but fit like old.  Fantastic.  Wish they sold waterproof boat deck type boots. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Autocar

I second Wesco pricey but well worth it.
Bill

SawyerTed

Just bought a pair of Rocky all leather steel toe boots.  They were on sale and I ran across them looking for Carolina Loggers.  I wore them all day today and I feel like I had sneakers on instead.  I don't know how they will hold up but if Rocky hunting boots are an indication, they will last several years.  Where I live an insulated boot isn't really necessary but waterproof is.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

loganworks2

I have worn the the perfekt hikers by miendle from Cabela's for close to 20 years. They fit like a glove for me, great support and long wearing. I get about 4 years out of them working construction and wear them 7 days a week. I had Redwings before that. They were comfortable but I was going through 2 pair a year.

bodagocreek2

I have worn the Red Wings for 7 years, two pair a year. They feel great the first 6 weeks or so but seem to go down hill fast. Maybe they were the imported ones, but they are still over $100.00 a pair. I will check on Irish Setter, Filsm, Danner, Wesco and Miendle. Thanks for taking time to respond.

mike_belben

I have wolverine thinsulated loggers but only wear when i have to put on gaffs.  A full high heel is too much for me any other time,  But theyve been good boots, very durable and warm. 

My past career put me in mandatory steeltoes and i had timberland pros for a decade.  They used to be way better, dies in 2 years now.  The center of the sole under the ball of my foot sinks in and corrodes apart from the inside then springs a leak.  

I wear boggs muck boots when its mushy and steeltoe not required.  Theyre a comfy boot and i got a free replacement pair on the last day of their warrantee.  It leaked early on and i just happened to find the receipt on last day.  I was stunned they honored it and for that reason will buy again. Theyre cheap too.  2nd set has been great.  

I just got a pair of justin model wk4656 for $79 last month and love them, exactly what i needed. Other than the cowboy stitching anyways.  My feet have been funky since the showers at parris island and i cant lace up or fungal explosion from sweat is imminent.   Well that means im always getting saw chips in my socks and boots.  These are slip on high tops like a cowboy boot but with a steel toe almost logger bottom, and a decent woods tread sole.  They vent well, theyre flexy, safe, fairly warm and keep the chips out.  And roomy in 11.5EE. 

My winter hunting boots are kamiks and im also impressed with those. 

It is rare for me to lace any boot regardless so take that into consideration.  
Praise The Lord

JB Griffin

Irish Setter Elk Trackers no. 882 in 12H (the H stands for HUGE). On my second pair in 6 or 7 years, get 2-2.5yrs out of them before getting them recapped and 1.5-2yrs after that.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Dave Shepard

H is the Red Wing equivalent of EEEE, or about EEEE too narrow.  :-\

Old Greenhorn

I wear Georgia Loggers. Probably a little more boot than you want, but we are in hilly and very rocky terrain and the rocks tend to grab my ankles and shins when I am working in the woods (I have many scars and scabs). Wish they were just a bit taller. They were under $100. and have they protection I need and allow me to slosh through the swamp without worry. I have lots of boots, but these are the ones I like for heavy tree and milling work. For general chores around the house I either have common 5" hikers or one of several pairs of my zip side fire/EMS boots. They have shanks and composite toes. But the latter do not last long doing logging work and my ankles take a beating on the razor sharp bluestone around here.
I would really like to get a pair of Danner smoke jumper boots ($300.), but can't afford them for the time I get in the woods. All my younger associates that make their living around logging, mills, and heavy equipment swear by them. Danner also has a lot of nice boots in the $100.-200. range. Danner offers a rebuild service on their better boots too. Someday maybe.
It's a tough search, good luck.
Tom

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Plankton

I wear chippewas uninsulated ankle high steel toe in the summer and insulated 8" steel toe in winter. Quality boots if you get the American made ones I get about 2 seasons of construction and roofing out of them. my winter boots are on there 6th season and keep going somehow.
Ussually wearing my wesco corks when I'm logging if you feel like spending the extra money wescos are really nice boots.

curdog

I've got a pair of wescos that I bought in 06, and have one rebuild on them.  I like them , but I like my Nick's foresters better. I've had them since 08and rebuilt them once. They've held up through many days of stomping through cutovers and I've fought fire in them from coast to coast... they're pricey but they have held up to everyday wear in the woods...

Pulphook

Check out Sierra Trading Post for workboots, Carhartt, gloves, outdoor gear at big discounts.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

mike_belben

X2 on STP.  Theyre the biggest supplier of carhartt 2nds and are cheaper than anyone.  Years ago i bought a bunch and most times could find the issue.  Stuff is going on 5 or 6 years worn every week.
Praise The Lord

JB Griffin

Dave, you might be closer than most to the size feet a guy from here had. Google Buster Scott.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

IMERC

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on November 22, 2018, 05:50:36 PM
Just a 8 inch high all around work boot.

Chippewa loggers...
USA made.
comfortable, warm or cool, dry, wear extremely well for a very long time...

Chippewa Logger Boots
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

hopm

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 25, 2018, 07:47:53 AM

I would really like to get a pair of Danner smoke jumper boots ($300.), but can't afford them for the time I get in the woods. All my younger associates that make their living around logging, mills, and heavy equipment swear by them. Danner also has a lot of nice boots in the $100.-200. range. Danner offers a rebuild service on their better boots too. Someday maybe.
It's a tough search, good luck.
Tom

Check the Danner sale/clearance link regularly and check ebay. The last 5 pair of Danners my son in law and myself have bought have been less than $100. My favorite prize is a pair of like new Quarries i got on EBAY for $33. These are still my Sunday church going shoes. ;D ;D ;D I like knowing I'm a pair ahead in case something happens to the ones I'm working in.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: JB Griffin on November 26, 2018, 12:14:34 AM
Dave, you might be closer than most to the size feet a guy from here had. Google Buster Scott.
Yeah, I'm not quite that bad off.   :o
I'm only a size 12, just ridiculously wide. 

sawguy21

I had a blowout while on a forest fire fighting crew in California, desperate I sucked it up and bought a pair of Red Wings. They were the most comfortable and durable boot I have ever worn, I hated to give them up. I too have a wide foot, couple that with a high arch I have a tough time finding suitable foot wear.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wildtmpckjzg

I've tried Keen Targhee's, which has given me plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I have some other sort of Keen boot and those give me corns. So I ordered a pair of Vasque boots and they don't seem to be making the other 2 issues any better.
I'm looking for a light or medium-weight waterproof work boot with good arch support, good heel cushioning and support, and a roomy toe box. Any suggestions?

Walnut Beast

Top notch boot that fits like a glove and is very durable. The only boot I like to wear. 

https://meindlusa.com/collections/meindl-footwear

Marty

I had been searching for a comfortable workboot due to my feet pain. I ordered a pair from Brunt and have been very satisfied. They are lightweight, waterproof and very comfortable.

https://bruntworkwear.com/

newoodguy78

@Walnut Beast what model of those boots do you  wear? I prefer a hiking type boot vs a full leather work boot curious if you have any experience with them. I'm always on the lookout for quality footwear that's comfortable and will last. Tend to go through 2-3 pair a year no matter what I buy and I don't get cheap footwear. Wouldn't mind finding a brand that would last a year, seems to be a tough thing to come across.

Colonel428

So I've got several pair of boots (Red Wing, Thorogood, White's) but I bought a pair of Redback slip on boots a couple of months ago and love them.  They are by far the lightest and most comfortable boots I've had.  They're popular with mechanic/repair shops and are sold out of tool trucks on their routes.  In fact I bought mine from the Matco guy.  They are made in Australia.  I cut and sell firewood and have been doing all my work in them - seems like I have them on every day.  Definitely worth looking in to.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 19, 2022, 10:45:25 PM
@Walnut Beast what model of those boots do you  wear? I prefer a hiking type boot vs a full leather work boot curious if you have any experience with them. I'm always on the lookout for quality footwear that's comfortable and will last. Tend to go through 2-3 pair a year no matter what I buy and I don't get cheap footwear. Wouldn't mind finding a brand that would last a year, seems to be a tough thing to come across.
They are the Comfort fit. Those are made in Germany. Some of the other models are made in Italy. I understand what your saying and I like those and have had them. The problem with them I had was I would get to much stuff in the shoes from being shorter. So I have the tall but I only lace them half way up wrap them around each way and tie up. I'm very picky and hard on shoes and these are the only ones I like. I've had several pair. I'm due for a new pair. The current pair are 3 1/2 years old and have been bulletproof  through everything and doing everything in them. I will get some pictures of what they look like after serious use. They make one insulated with 400g and one non insulated. I've  got the insulated ones and wear them all year around. The cork footbed liner is one of several unique to Meindl boots. For the money they are a bargain with the comfort and durability!!

JD Guy

I have found this thread very enlightening. My favorite pair of boots all time were Browning upland. Wore them way past what I should have😬. Don't think they're made by the same factory anymore however. Over the last three years I have been using Ariat lace up Ropers..pretty good boots but a might heavy and the rubber(or whatever it is) sole/heel get hard over time and are less than comfortable. I have plantar fasciitis and wear special insoles. Oldest grandson just bought a pair of Thorogood (for hunting and work) and likes them, wanted Redwing but he said that the Thorogood were $100 less than Redwing and still made in USA. Redwing are now upwards of $300 if I remember correctly.

I would like to find some workbook laces that will stay tied😬. The way they make laces today they never hardly wear out but impossible to keep tied tight at least for me.

Magicman

Wolverine has been my go-to work boot for many years.  LINK

I just ordered another pair with my Cabela's CC points. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I wear Justin lace up roper insulated boots year around. Our cold isn't very bad compared to what some of you "glaciated folks" deal with. I wear a clean pair for going nice places and when the work boot gets wore out the clean pair then gets turned into the work pair and a new pair becomes the "dress" boots. They used to last me about a year due to all the walking beside the long mill. Now that I don't walk that much the pair I have now is over 3 years old but they are getting close. I like them mostly as they are comfortable and waterproof. When they start leaking they go in the trash. Can't stand to work in wet feet.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

I currently have a pair of Wolverine boots for actual cold weather (like where water gets hard, Customsawyer😂) Gore-tex, safety toe and I think 800 grams of Thinsulate. They've been great boots but they are on their last legs. Unfortunately Wolverine doesn't make this model anymore, so I'm on the hunt.
Too many irons in the fire

Patrick NC

Wore Redwing Pecos 10" pull on for 20 years. Discontinued now so it took a couple years to decide on these Durango rebels. 

Not the best out of the box, but pretty good after a day or two.  My feet run hot, so the biggest problem is finding boots with NO insulation.  Evethe slightest amount of insulation causes my feet to sweat and then they freeze.  No insulation and wool socks are the only way for me. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

230Dforme

Good evening 
Maybe not a work boot, but something to consider 
The guys who pour concrete wear these pull over rubber yellow boots
I've worn them for years as an iron worker as needed in mud and snow
They keep you dry, and they keep you warm
I just wear house shoes, slippers in them, no need to struggle w work boots
Wear them all over town
Sounds funny ?, try it as needed and see for yourself 
They don't cost much

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 20, 2022, 02:52:29 PMI just ordered another pair with my Cabela's CC points.  LINK
I ordered, received, and shipped them back.  They hurt the sides of my ankles and I could not wear them.  I was hoping that the composite safety toe would be lighter weight but I'll just continue to wear my old Wolverine boots.  I have two identical pair and alternate them each day.  They will never wear out.  ::)

doc henderson

8-inch soft leather composite toe waterproof and shock proof red wings.  pair 5 over 20 years.  could not get them the past 3 years.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

Does anyone wear military boots? Due to a somewhat recent change I am allowed to shop the military stores and I drive past Dover, DE Air-force base every month.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

stavebuyer

I have been wearing surplus military "desert" work boots the past 2 summers. They aren't waterproof but the fabric wears better than leather. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on November 20, 2022, 05:25:59 AM
They are the Comfort fit. Those are made in Germany. Some of the other models are made in Italy. I understand what your saying and I like those and have had them. The problem with them I had was I would get to much stuff in the shoes from being shorter. So I have the tall but I only lace them half way up wrap them around each way and tie up. I'm very picky and hard on shoes and these are the only ones I like. I've had several pair. I'm due for a new pair. The current pair are 3 1/2 years old and have been bulletproof  through everything and doing everything in them. I will get some pictures of what they look like after serious use. They make one insulated with 400g and one non insulated. I've  got the insulated ones and wear them all year around. The cork footbed liner is one of several unique to Meindl boots. For the money they are a bargain with the comfort and durability!!

They are also water proof with Gore-Tex and are still that way

doc henderson

I do the moldable inserts and brush on toe guard as well.  these days brings the price up a bit.  over 300 bucks total.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

I much prefer a plain leather boot with no waterproof membrane. Even though the membranes might be breathable they aren't nearly as breathable as plain leather. I used to wear goretex boots daily and I would also daily have socks damp with sweat. Since switching to plain leather (Redwings) about 7 years ago the difference was night and day. If my uses were more outdoorsy in damp weather I might feel differently but even with plain leather my feet rarely get wet from rain or snow. I'm not often out in the rain for extended periods of time and in winter it's cold enough that the snow doesn't melt. 

I have no problem keeping warm feet in plain leather boots and regular cotton socks at -10 degrees F. I still wear that combo down to -15 when going for 4 mile walks and while I can feel a chill in my feet they aren't cold. It would be different if I was just standing rather than walking. 

During the summer I switch from my 8" tall redwings to plain leather low top shoes because they're a little cooler. It's hard to find plain leather shoes that are rugged enough with good tread. This summer I bought a set of Keens that would seem to fit the bill but while they don't have a waterproof membrane or insulation there is something inside the boot that either gives some insulation or retards vapor flow as after only a few hours of wearing them I could feel my feet slightly damp from sweat. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

barbender

I agree that Gore-tex does hold moisture. Usually the trade off is worth it for me. Authentic Gore-tex does way better than all of it's knock off products. Many of those leave me feeling like I went back to my childhood with plastic bread sacks inside my wet moon boots😁

rusticretreater

In my camping days we used bear grease to waterproof our leather boots.  You can buy it online or at outdoor supplier stores.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Kindlinmaker

A bit late to the party on this one but wanted to share some info that might help those who mentioned they suffer from plantar fasciitis.  Had to wait until I got home to dig up the info I wanted to share.  I have had a couple bad episodes which would literally lay me up from walking so I'll share what I learned through the recovery process.  

First time I went to podiatrist who set me up with some over-the-counter orthopedic inserts that cleared my problem up in a couple weeks.  Spenco RX Thinsole 3/4-length Orthotic Arch Supports.  I still use these and won't change for anything.  These are rigid supports with fiberglass bases; not the soft flexible jobs that they also make.  Problem solved so I went back to regular activity and pretty much forgot about it.  Sometimes I used the inserts, sometimes not.  Everything was great until.....

Second bout actually hit me while I was walking around the Paul Bunion Show in work boots.  Just like a needle into the bottom of my heal.  would come and go over the next few months until it got so bad I couldn't put weight on it.  First doc is long gone, off to an othopedic surgeon - I'll fix this once and for all - wrong.  He explained how involved and how long the recuperation would be for surgery and I readily agreed to physical therapy and new inserts.  3 sessions per week for 6 weeks and the pain was less but still there.  I did learn a whole lot about what causes it and how to avoid it.  Back to the Dr. who seemed pleased with the progress and proceeded to shoot cortisone into my heal.  I was in pretty good shape a month later.  So I asked why he didn't just shoot it the first time he saw me and his answer was "your whole heal was involved, where was I going to put the shot that would work"; fair point.

The doc explained that everything starts to shrink a bit as we get older and those tendons don't stretch as well as they once did.  The therapist offered that the best way to avoid this is to do simple stretching exercises, eliminate shoe flex and support the arch as much as possible.  Moral of the story, I don't put on a pair of boots, shoes or sneakers without rigid inserts.  Five years without another episode even though I am about 30 pounds heavier now.  To avoid screwing it up and forgetting, I have a set of inserts in every shoe or boot I own.  The initial outlay for a dozen or so of these at $25 - $30 a pop seems steep but it was easy to spend right after my recovery; limping around just isn't fun.

If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

GRANITEstateMP

@Walnut Beast what model of those boots do you  wear? I prefer a hiking type boot vs a full leather work boot curious if you have any experience with them. I'm always on the lookout for quality footwear that's comfortable and will last. Tend to go through 2-3 pair a year no matter what I buy and I don't get cheap footwear. Wouldn't mind finding a brand that would last a year, seems to be a tough thing to come across
newoodguy78
Take a ride up to Conway some day and stop in at Limmer Boots, by Peter Limmer & Sons. They do full custom, but that was a LONG wait list, and off the shelf. Before we had a kid, when we had extra money every once in a while, I bought my wife a pair of there "off the shelf" hikers.  I think the were imported from Austria or somewhere around there. The fella was telling us about wanting the off the shelf boots to be built by real boot makers, not laborers, and that was the best factory they could source from. They are holding up great.  Really neat old barn that they work out of too! 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

newoodguy78

If I get up that way I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up hadn't heard of them. 

Magicman

I have been searching for a lighter weight safety toe boot for a while so when my Son, Marty made a suggestion in Reply #36 above recommending Brunt boots, I at least had to investigate.

Short story shorter, I ordered a pair of Brunt Marlin 8" Boots LINK and they arrived today.  I have them on now and they were comfortable out of the box.  I'll wear them sawing Friday.

Does this mean that I am following in my Son's footsteps??  ???

doc henderson

You are at least walking a mile (or more) in his (choice of) shoes!   :D :D   8) 8) 8)
What size does he wear?  Might be big shoes to fill! :)  I am sure he feels the same way about you!

Magicman

I introduce him quite often as da chip and I am da block, but the fact is that I'll never measure up to him and that is good.   :)  

doc henderson

I am sure you all get along well, and usually agree, but that second part might be a rare exception.  You have the respect of us all, and even more I am sure, your family.  If it is true, it is likely because of the advantageous start he got from his parents.  bring um up right.  Not many can say they worked a summer with a grandson.  Cheers

Magicman

Brunt Marlin composite toe.

Wlmedley

I wore the same size boots every year for at least 35 years after I got out of high school.The company I worked for had a deal with Iron Age boots so that's what I bought for years.Lucky to get 9 months out of them.When I got to making a little more money I started buying Red Wings and they would last a year.When I got about 55 years old I bought a new pair size 10 1/2 D same size I always bought and they just about crippled me.I wore them till I couldn't stand it anymore but hated to give up on them being they cost so much.Finally went to shoe store and told them I needed a pair of boots but didn't want anymore Red Wings because they hurt my feet.The lady that worked there asked if I had my feet measured.I said I've wore the same size for years.She measured my feet and said no wonder they hurt your feet you need size 13.I tried a pair on and they felt fine.I said I can't figure it out.She said that there was only two things that get bigger on a man when they get older and that's their feet and their ears  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

barbender

Haha some of those gals are more than happy to level with ya'!😂

I looked at the Brunt boots because I keep getting swamped with ads from them. They are a completely new style of quality boots for people in the trades that haven't been able to get the boots they need for years, because boot companies don't listen to them. Or at least that is the story Brunt tells in all of their ads. To me, it just looks rebranded imported work boots, with a very active marketing team. I'm sure they're a decent work boot, but I just find some of their claims kind of silly.

trapper

my problem is finding any shoe wide enough.  4e and 5e would be better.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Kindlinmaker

Quote from: Wlmedley on December 13, 2022, 05:31:51 PM
She said that there was only two things that get bigger on a man when they get older and that's their feet and their ears  :laugh:

I don't want to be boasting but I think maybe that shoe lady might be missing something else that's grown with age.......................my belly now blocks the view of my boots so I'm not sure what's going on with them half the time!!!!!! :D
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

fluidpowerpro

I've never been willing to spend the money for a pair of Red Wings or some of the other premium brands, but I did spend a little more on my last pair. I bought a pair from Ariat and they are super comfortable, light weight and are holding up really well. So far the best boots I have ever had.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on December 13, 2022, 01:21:34 PMI ordered a pair of Brunt Marlin 8" Boots and they arrived today. I have them on now and they were comfortable out of the box. I'll wear them sawing Friday.
OK, the Brunt boots did not work out for me.  I wore them a total of 16 hours and as the day progressed they hurt my feet across the tops.  Brunt's return policy was no questions asked if returned within 30 days, so I did.  They provided the shipping label and my CC has been credited.

So next I tried these:

I did not know that Reebok made safety toe boots but these are winners.

This is also my first experience with side zipper boots.  I have worn them for a couple of days and they are as comfortable as walking/hiking shoes/boots. That plus very lightweight.  My feet are now happy.  :)

Walnut Beast

Made in Germany 🇩🇪! These guys make many variations as shown here. and not all are available in USA. Got a extra set of the form fitting cork board inserts. As far as I'm concerned these are the most comfortable best wearing boots out there. Just got a new pair! Last pair were four years old and used hard! And still didn't leak walking through creek water.  

These are the same size and model after four years of hard use. I've got a flat wide foot and real picky on shoes! 11 two EE and have always fit beautiful. That's why the call them the comfort fit!

gspren

Just got a pair of Merrell Moab 2 mid height hiking boots. I have a bum ankle and knees so thought I'd try a hiking boot with more support. I don't officially "work" anymore but I'm in my pole building on concrete for hours at a time so I'll report back what I think.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Don P

That is maybe a whole other aspect, trashed ankles. I'm wearing 13H red wings from smushes but the ankle is toast, By the end... middle, of the day with a brace in there I'm about done. what are your go to's for off road?

Texas Ranger

I started my forestry career with three pair of army combat boots, cheap, they only cost three years of my life.  After I wore them out (in about three years) I bought Redwings, which lasted about six months of Texas heat, water and brush.  Then I found a boot called Magnums, which I still wear. They still wore out in 6 months but were a LOT cheaper than Redwings.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike dee

Workman CSA Men's Comp Toe Boots | BOGS

Light, warm, comfortable, good winter traction. I wish they had metatarsals as an option.
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

Old Greenhorn

Well since this seems to be a never ending issue for me (finding decent work shoes at a decent price that is not discontinued later), I figured I would give this thread a bump.
 Every time I have found a shoe (boot) that makes me say "this is THE one, I am buying these from now on!" the company discontinues them, then I spend a couple of years trying others until I find a good one. Seems like this has gone on since I was about 14 years old.
 We a year and a half ago, Bill and I were on our way home from Boonville and Bill saw a sign on a shoe and uniform store stating they had their big annual sale going on. Since I had looked for high end work boots at Boonville and found none, we decided to give it a shot. Well, I found a pair of sketchers (yeah, imagine my surprise) that felt fairly good for everyday general boots, steel toe, fairly waterproof, etc.. They were only $104.00, so I bought them. Well they turned out to be great! very comfortable, good support, kept my feet dry, not too hot. I have a winner. But the store was 200 miles from here. I wore them every day since then, so about 19 months full time use.
  Last August we are again returning from Boonville and We stopped to get a new pair. DISCONTINUED. ARRRGGGGHHHH! I wound up buying something that looked close, but is not, and I have only worn them about 4 times in the last 7 months. I figure I'll keep them clean because they look nice but don't cut the mustard for work. Maybe as a summer shoe.

SO a few days ago I am out in the woods and realize these boots are finally going. They no longer give my feet the support they need when walking on broken ground carrying heavy logs, they are also starting to let water in around the seams. They are squatting out and loosing form. It's time to take action. Still wanting that same exact boot I got on the internet and located a dealer that still had some in my size! With taxes, shipping and all in they were just under $90.00. So I am hoping this truly is exactly the same boot, size, and fit I have now. If so, I may get another pair as soon as I confirm that.
 Everybody is different with shoes and it is difficult to find the right ones that work for you. I hate it when they discontinue a model for no reason other than to sell something new and different.
 Seems like the battle never ends on this front.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

woodroe

On my 2nd pair of these. 1st ones lasted 3 years I think. Used hard.
Like not having to sit or bend to lace a pair of boots. Pull on and go . Not a fan of steel toe or safety toe either
that's a comfort factor thing at my risk I know. But these can be had with safety toe.
Vibram sole is hard to beat.
Comfortable to wear (lined) even in winter stay warm with a decent pair of socks.  Pricey but worth it to me.FWIW

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/work-boots/soft-toe-boots/Two-Harbors/83907.html
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

doc henderson

I wear redwings, soft leather no break in, waterproof, insulated 400 g, comp. toe.  they do change the model number, but they tell me that one is not available, but here is the new version.  they keep records and I can ask my wife to stop by and pick up a new pair if in Wichita.  they waterproof and provide new laces indefinitely if you drop them off.  in one pair they put in new eyelets, as they began cutting my laces, for free.  they are expensive, but they cater to working folk, and know that after you pay the price, you better get good service.

Thank You Sponsors!