iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

Happy birthday and don't wear the new glasses for outside work.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

thank you, trapper. 
Good idea, but hard to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

firefighter ontheside

Yeah,Brent, that's definitely the reason for the steel plates covering the spots in studs with wires.  I thought about saying that the other day, but I figured you knew that.   :) :)
Is that an 8/4 stringer?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Not just wires, put plates over where the water supply lines run too. Hitting one of those with a screw or nail makes a very bad day. (I've never hit one, but I've done plenty of other dumb things). ;D 
Not a bad idea to take pictures - measurements during construction of open stud walls where wires and pipes run before closing it up. Did that on a bathroom remodel job last year, just in case we ever have to do future changes.
Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crossroads

I've hit those plates many times with Sheetrock screws and was glad they were there. Glad you found the issue before it became a disaster. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 05, 2023, 07:48:17 AM
Yeah,Brent, that's definitely the reason for the steel plates covering the spots in studs with wires.  I thought about saying that the other day, but I figured you knew that.   :) :)
Is that an 8/4 stringer?
@firefighter ontheside 
No Bill it's just shy of 7/4 but the screw head counter sunk about a 1/4" in the ash stringer. That was enough to make its way to the hole where the romex passed through.
I'm in the process of lining the walls with galvalume colored metal barn siding and the ceiling with bright white shop liner metal. I figured the galvalume color wouldn't show the dirt and dust as much and the white would brighten the area up. I'm moving my Logan lathe and Bridgeport mill into this addition to free up space in my main shop area. Kind of my fab shop area I guess. When I get it completed I'll post a follow up picture in this thread of "Did something un-dumb today" ;D

Brent

Old Greenhorn

When you do photos I want to see that lathe and what configuration and vintage you have. I have owned 3 logans and still have one left. I may have some spare parts for you that I didn't find when I sold the last one. I used to have headstocks, tailstocks, spindles, cross slides and other parts surplus to my needs. Not sure what's left. Them are good little machines.
---------------------

About 4 years ago a new neighbor moved in and started worked on this custom house some architect designed and built a decade ago. They had a funny odor in the upstairs bathroom. So he cut a hole in the sheetrock and found black mold. Long story shorter, he wound up doing a full tearout of all walls, tiles, and fixtures. Found a drain pipe in the wall somebody ran a sheetrock screw through and it dripped for decades. Bug damage in the stubs too. Full new bathroom including all fixtures and tiles, studs, sills, the whole nine. Just for one little screw inside a wall. Food for thought.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rusticretreater

So put off doing all those home projects just in case?  Got it.  8)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

Saw a video the other day showing how modern impact drivers will slam a screw right through those plates without skipping a beat. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

doc henderson

Brent, someone must be looking out for you!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

My dear bride wants a fall garden.  

I used the rotary cutter and cut the grass last week.  After a few days of drying I figured it was ready over the weekend to till it with the 6' pto driven rotary tiller.  

Well the gearbox on the tiller went to where all good gearboxes go when they die.  I smelled the gear oil but didn't see any from the seat.  When it quit turning the tines and making "that noise"  I stopped and inspected.  The oil had left out the back.  ::) 

That was dumb enough...

BUT there's more.. 

I shopped for parts.  Total repair parts will be near $1,000.  Wanting to be sure about options I shopped for a new rotary tiller.  Most were $3,000 ish.  I found Agri Supply in Garner has a light duty 6' version for $2,100.  So I called, gave the stock number and was assured that they had 9 in the equipment yard.  

With that assurance, I drove 2.5 hours one way to find they had 9 of the $3,100 versions.  Too much for me.  

I came home, got the disc harrow out of the woods and disked the garden spot.  It worked up good.  Used the cultivating tractor to make lists and put in fertilizer.  Could have been done before lunchtime.  As it was I finished about a half hour ago.  The heat index was 100° which didn't help my disposition at all. :D

Should have done it that way 3 days ago..

Did I say I love my wife?   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

I have a 5-foot Agri I bought 30 years ago.  1 set of replacement tines.  Made in Italy I think and sold by JD before they decided to make their own green version.  It was 1,00.00 buck back then.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

My 6' Tar River/King Cutter/County Line tiller was $1,200 in 2010 when I bought my tractor.  

It's been used pretty hard for gardens and food plots multiple times a year.  My maintenance has been adequate at least until now.  Maybe adequate wasn't enough.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

The brakes on my 17 F350 have been squealing for a little while, so I knew it was time for brakes.  The truck has 90,000 miles.  I debated about doing it myself, but finally decided to do it.  Started taking the first tire wheel off and things went downhill quickly.  My battery impact would not take the nuts off.  I couldn't break them loose with a socket and breaker bar.  Got out the tire iron that came with the truck and you can see what happened with that.  Finally I had to go back to the breaker bar and use a 5' cheater.  I think the tire shop that put my tires on got a little over zealous with torquing the nuts.  Tire would not come off until I put a 2x4 against the inside of the wheel and hit it with a sledge from the other side.  Got the caliper off and the pads were not as bad as I thought they were gonna be.  Took off the caliper bracket and found that one of the slide pins was locked in place, full of rust.  Had to work hard to get them out.  Called Oreillys and off I went to get pins.  I decided to get 4 of them.  Good thing I did because the other side was the same way.  I managed to not bust any knuckles and now have good working brakes again.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

I would be so happy if they would just got to a fixed caliper with dual piston. then the pads would move and the slides would not need to. Plus the stopping power would be so much better.

I hope you anti seized your lugnuts before you put them back on. I know this is a very controversial topic. I have lubed all of my lugnuts and never had one come off or even loosen up. Proper torque procedure is very important.

Resonator

I thought that story with the bent tire iron was going to end up like years ago on my old antique International pickup lug nuts, (or at least 1 old semi trailer I dealt with). Fight, fight, fight, and nothing comes loose. 
Then see clean thread ABOVE the nut. :o
And realize I'm just tightening a left hand thread. :D

aigheadish

I've been pretty amazed at how stuck on a wheel can get. I haven't had too much trouble with lugnuts but I've spent too much time kicking the heck out of tires or wheels to get them off the posts. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Tom K

I had a similar situation with the wife's car over the weekend. I'd noticed her brakes where squealing as she was pulling out of the driveway. She can be, well, hard on brakes. At a touch over 60k miles I figured it was about time since that's what she got out of the first set on her old car. So I spend the money and got new pads and rotors all the way around.

I finally got around to getting it in the barn over the weekend, jacked the front up and pulled both tires. Hmm, pads are only half worn and the rotors look good yet, the backs must be shot. Moved to the back and pulled the tires, those rotors look decent also but the pads were a pain to get off. Pads are still half also, but there was enough rust on them to not let them move freely in there holders. A little clean up and some grease and she's good to go. Now I have $400 worth of parts on the shelf I won't need for another year or two.

And to make it even better, the brakes on my car started to squeal yesterday. I think I'll pull some tires and check some stuff out before I ASSUME what I need and order parts.

sawguy21

@Resonator More than one tire jockey has peeled the studs off doing that with an impact gun. I almost made the same mistake on an early 60's Plymouth.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Resonator

QuoteI've spent too much time kicking the heck out of tires or wheels to get them off the posts.
That's when you put the goop on the hub between the studs where it contacts the rim. (Being careful not to get any on where the brake pad rubs). So the rim doesn't corrode itself on. (Helps the next mechanic, which might be you). smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

Every tire shop that I know of uses young bucks with air impacts to remove and replace tires.  All of the studs get stretched a bit each time.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

aigheadish

I'd only changed brakes a time or two when I tried on my old minivan. By hand I broke the stud and I was at a complete loss for what to do. It was then that I learned they were just a stud that poked through the hole in the rotor, no big whoops. 

Resonator- what is the goop? I change my wheels frequently for winter tires, it'd be nice to put some on here in a couple months.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!