iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade saw mill#2

Started by Vautour, December 07, 2020, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Cut it in half, baffle it and glue it back together. Water on one side fuel on the other.
Praise The Lord

Vautour

Mike if it was stainless steel i would consider it and the fiberglass work!! i don't want to chance it.... meanwhile as i continue to cut, grind, weld, scratch my head, weld some more... still hoping for the elusive smell of sawdust.. soon.

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Vautour

building blade gardes out of a old old electrical box i had,.. 
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Vautour

chopped some I-beams for my bunks and welded a 1'' SS angle on top with two adjustable threaded rod on each. end.

Crusarius

That is very nice. I was thinking about a stainless steel U cap but the angle will work nicely.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Vautour

now comes the more technical phase..MAKING IT WORK

mike_belben

I never realized the square/round/square stacked construction you built the bed with.  That is one rigid son of a birch. Nice job. 
Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

Vautour

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Iwawoodwork

Vautour I hope you left enough room in your guards to install something to keep the blade teeth from contacting the steel guards, I used free rubber conveyor belting after screwing up 5-6 blades that came off the wheels due to various newbie mistakes. Gets spendy $$$$ when learning. The blades can come off both front and back, Off front and teeth hit the guard, instant dull, Off backwards and the teeth hit the band sheave tire wheels and dull and/or screw up the set.  I pop riveted with aluminum pop rivets  through the belting. Wood or plastic, uhmv would also work

Gere Flewelling

Before the paint it was a thing of quality for sure.  Now all painted up, it has transformed into a thing of beauty. 8)
I hope it will work as good as it looks.  Thanks for sharing pictures of your build.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Vautour

Iwawoodwork ... eventually there will be plywood on the inside of my doors and in all the back guards for sure.                                      
Quote from: Gere Flewelling on November 12, 2021, 08:16:06 AMI hope it will work as good as it looks. 
tks... eventually i'll get there..looking good for 2022..  

Vautour

next on the menu.. installing a energy chain using a vacuum hose, some angles and Teflon,..will it work?? will soon find out. 

Crusarius

JoshNZ

Do a search for drag chain on AliExpress it is pretty affordable stuff. Buy it in metre lengths and I assume snap it together to extend. Don't know how it would hold up, I assume they're for CNC machines, indoor applications.

Vautour

I did a search and this stuff is pretty expansive, even if it's from Joe's favorite Country "China"... for 3'' x 25' was over $700.00..new angles and hose would run around $100...  

Crusarius

I started 3d printing the chain. but thats only so effective. The stuff I was using was only for my cnc.

Vautour

@Crusarius... you're 3D printing a energy chain!!.. that's pretty cool.. could you share some photos??  

Crusarius

I actually grabbed the files from thingiverse and just started printing them. I tried a couple different versions of it. 

The first version on the left I really liked it was solid worked smooth and had the removable wire clip. Unfortunately what I didn;t like was the fact it can go to 90 degrees. part of the reason for a drag chain is to minimize fatigue on the wires from flex so the bend angle was not good. The stuff on the right is not as stout but works and has a limit lock so it won't even over bend the wires. Still has the removable wire clip to.

I think this is 10mm drag chain? I don't remember I would have to go find the file or measure it.

btulloh

HM126

Crusarius

PLA, I have not had the best luck with ABS. I need to build a box and have a better setup to start playing with ABS.

So far my only issue with PLA is it gets brittle in the cold. I started making an MPCNC with PLA, when I left it in the shop during testing the pieces got cold and brittle. but the design was not really a strong one to begin with. If I ever decide to get back into the MPCNC (v1engineering.com) I will modify the parts or design my own. but right now my next CNC I have a 3/4" aluminum plate set aside for all my brackets so its going to be a little more stout!

Mental note for anyone designing for 3D printers. They print in layers design to not create the layer in the plane you need the strength.

btulloh

Roger all that. I have the same problem with ABS and the planes of weakness in PLA. I was going to try taping some foam core together to make a quick and dirty box for ABS, maybe put a forty watt light bulb in there, but haven't gotten around to it. The 3d printing has been interesting and given me sone useful items, but it's a big time waster and I haven't had a lot of excess time, so my use of it is sporadic. 

It would take a fair amount of time to print the pieces for a twenty foot energy chain.  I'd have to make sure the results would be durable before I printed the whole thing. Kinda sounds like what you're working towards. Good luck and keep us posted!
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!