iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold engine starting

Started by adirondacker, February 14, 2021, 07:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondacker

Is there any sort of engine heater that I can install on a 24 HP Briggs and Stratton twin. Anything like inserting in to dipstick tube or magnetic. Anybody out there have something they have used with experience.
Thanks

D6c

Don't know of anything like an oil heater but might try a torpedo heater pointed at it for a while.

47sawdust

Assuming you have electricity. Magnetic pan heater or a quartz work light ( the kind that puts out heat).
I have used the latter with good success.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 14, 2021, 09:07:29 AM
Assuming you have electricity. Magnetic pan heater or a quartz work light ( the kind that puts out heat).
I may have to do that with my tractor tomorrow so I can plow the driveway.  My glow plugs do not work.  It will start fairly well at about 20 deg, but when its this cold, I think I"m gonna need some help.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Percy

My first mill(LT40) had a 35hp Wisconsin gas motor....Hard starting cold blooded....I bought 10 feet of exhaust flexpipe at muffler shop and would slip one end over the idling pickup exhaust pipe and the other end at the oil pan of the Wisconsin. Sit in pickup drinking coffee and listening to music for mabey 15 miniutes...Worked well...Cant do it indoors without dying...other than that, it worked well.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

farmfromkansas

I have a tractor that has glow plugs, and no block heater.  It is stored in a 4000 sf steel building, and what I do when it is cold like now, is put my 75000 btu diesel space heater in front of the tractor, plug it in and let the heat flow up under the tractor.  Warms not only the engine, but the drive line as well, with a little benefit to warming the fuel tank. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Tom the Sawyer

I bought this at least 25 years ago, when I needed to get an 8N started to clear snow.  Now that I am retired, I don't use it very often since I prefer to stay inside when it gets this cold (0 degrees today).  When I have had to use it, it works very well.  

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Resonator

When I was searching online I saw a heater pad that wraps around the oil filter, never tried it, but might work. Otherwise I've used propane or kerosene heaters under engines with a tarp tent over it to preheat before starting. Always keep the flame far enough away to not burn anything, and I'd keep an eye on it too.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

@Tom the Sawyer I just searched and found the same heat magnet on Amazon for $60.  That would probably do just fine for me if I got it.  Lots of reviews complained that it was only heating the oil pan to 26deg.  My tractor will start just fine at 26deg.  I don't know what that guy expected, but all I need to do is start the thing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

Throw a tarp over the engine and duct vehicle exhaust heat under it then go have coffee. If using a propane or diesel tiger torch a piece of stve pipe with a 90 elbow works well. Don't stick the torch under the engine or bad things will happen.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom the Sawyer

FFOTS,  mine gets very hot, to the point that you have to be careful with it when you remove it from the pan/tank.  Seems odd that more than one would have come up with 26 degrees, that means it wouldn't even defrost the pan, much less warm the oil.  Mine gets hot and works, perhaps they meant 26C.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

offrink

I use an oil pan heater for my '54 farmall cub. I put on a battery maintainer to keep it warm and topped off. At 6 volts and 5*f it started on the third rotation. Best plow tractor ever because it's light in the front (600 lbs total) but heavy in the back with double wheel weights, loaded tires, chains, the machine and me (2000+ on the back end). 

The sawmill is diesel an I run a buddy heater under the cover while I get out my tools and set up for sawing. Let the glow plugs go until the light turns off and it starts well. Cougars and sputters and smokes for 20-30 seconds like a diesel does and then levels out and purrs. 

thecfarm

I use a magnetic heater on my wood splitter. I have some felt I put over the top to keep the heat in. A moving blanket would work too. When it's cold out -10, I put a halogen light under the truck and some of that felt over the hood. Both of these ideas make them start up like summer time temps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

I can recall a guy placing a bucket of red hot coals either under, on into the engine bay of his skidder to get it warmed up enough to start in brutal cold.  Of course this same gent once tossed a can of kerosene and gas mix down his chimney to clean out the cresote --- which it did --- but..... :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dana Stanley

I have used the 200w magnetic heater on my kabota and use it on the filter of the fuel oil tank for my work shop furnace , when it gets into the low teens. Never gels or freezes with that on it. I an sure it would keep a small motor warm. Plug  it in 10 hours or so before you need it.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Remle

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 14, 2021, 09:55:43 AM
Quote from: 47sawdust on February 14, 2021, 09:07:29 AM
I may have to do that with my tractor tomorrow so I can plow the driveway.  My glow plugs do not work.  It will start fairly well at about 20 deg, but when its this cold, I think I"m gonna need some help.
I have an older 4 wheel drive Jimna tractor, 2 cylinder diesel, it does not have glow plugs. So i installed a coolant heater in the bottom hose to the radiator, within a couple of hours after turning it on it starts all most instantly . You could even put it on a timer if you are going to use the tractor on a regular basis.. of course you should fix the glow plugs to.

richhiway

On a air cooled engine warming the oil could help it turn over easier but won't warm the cyls much. If you use a good quality full synthetic oil like 0W-30 that would be unnecessary. If it is turning a hydraulic pump you need to have winter grade oil and warm that up also as it puts a heavy load on the starter.
A little shot of starting fluid could help in very low temps also. 

As above put a tarp over it and warm it with a heat source.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

farmfromkansas

A neighbor was telling me the other day about an old neighbor of his, was a real tight wad, and did not want to build any sheds, because of property tax, and the guy would just gather up a bunch of sticks, and build a little fire under his diesel tractor, sitting outside, so he could get it started up.  Am sure he stayed close by to keep the fire from getting out of control.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

S-M

Mabey something like this? Sorry can't figure how to post a photo                            https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/kat-s-90-watt-120v-dipstick-style-oil-heater/0000000047516?Ntt=engine%20heater

sawguy21

That is fine as long as power is available. @mike_belben more than one piece of equipment has gone down doing that!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

I've used a hair dryer to heat the carb on Honda GX670s.  While heating the carb the generator running the hair dryer had it's exhaust blowing on the 5hp Honda.  Makes all the difference :) :)   Machines are now under a roof with electricity and a Milwaukee heat gun has replaced the hair dryer.  Care is needed not to melt plastic ;) ;D  Best to wait out the cold  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Runningalucas

I've got a couple of those magnetic heaters; they work well, but are bulky.  My dad got me on "KAT's" silicone stick on heaters.  They come in different dimensional sizes, as well as wattage choices.  They're flat overall, so can go between skid plate, and such with ease. 

I've got them on most of the things I run, and they last; we've had one on a Suzuki Samarui for about a decade, and never came off, and still heats well; it's accidentally been left on many a long night, and day.  

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/kat-s-by-five-star-4040/accessories-16449/winter-accessories-16523/engine-heater---block---universal-17928/35028326caa3/kat-s-by-five-star-50-watt-hot-pad-heater/24050/4398124?q=Kat%27s+atv+pan+heater&pos=1

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/kat-s-by-five-star-4040/accessories-16449/winter-accessories-16523/engine-heater---block---universal-17928/35028326caa3/kat-s-by-five-star-75-watt-hot-pad-heater/24075a/4398125?q=Kat%27s+atv+pan+heater&pos=2

A word of caution, in reading on the use of these, even in the most extreme climates they recommend not leaving them on for more than 4 hours; there's no reason for more.  Usually in my case, just pluggin in for a little over an hour, usually around 28 degrees, and stuff will fire right up.

If you leave it on for too long, it'll be hot on the bottom, and cold up in your valve train; thus creating a path for condensation on the upper.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

doc henderson

on a college ski trip to Colorado with diesel vans, the physics professor/adult on the trip, went to the store and got a bag of charcoal and 3 aluminum foil pans, got them lit, and placed them under the engines, with a blanket on the hoods.  I was not on the trip.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!