iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension Electric Start Conversion Kit

Started by Linda_Grodner, April 22, 2021, 04:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda_Grodner

I am looking for an electric start conversion kit for a rope start mobile dimension.  It has the 1700 cc engine.  Date of manufacture 1979.  Looking for any used parts for Mobile Dimension.
Linda Grodner
Owner Sawmill Exchange

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

luap

What little I know about Mobile dimension sawmills is only what is available on you tube. They use a volkswagon engine which the original electric start is mounted on the transaxle housing,not the engine itself. Did the company offer an electric start option?  i have put electric start on Three different engines that never came with that option. I used ring gear and starter from a 1.0 geo metro. It involved machining a steel plate that I fit a ring gear onto and the plate bolted to the flywheel, then fabricating a mount to bolt the starter to.  I have used a 1 hp electric motor on a pivot with a belt to the crankshaft to spin over motors that had no starter to start in my shop. I have seen people use a drill motor with a socket to fit the crank pulley nut to turn over an engine. Good way to spin the crank nut off or break your wrist though. None of these answer your question. The Mobile Dimension doesn't appear to leave much room on the flywheel end but the other end of the crank is wide open. So maybe you know a good fabricator? I can't function without electric start myself.

Crossroads

They did offer it with electric start and the starter is off of an early 70's Datsun. If I remember correctly it is reverse rotation because of where is mounted. About 8 years ago MD wanted $260 for the starter, but I had a parts guy that accepted the challenge and found the Datsun for less than $50.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Ted Anderson

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!