iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started assembling a new to me lane sawmill

Started by Ventryjr, May 10, 2021, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

V. I probably should have said this; When you are 1 click up from a notch and all the way forward you must be 1" from the saw. [2 clicks=2", 3 clicks=3", 4 clicks=4" ,5 clicks= 5" and 6 clicks= 6" and then it starts over again. You pull all the way forward to start, that sets it up to use the clicks and notches. This is for the 1/4" pawl, the other 2 are pinned up as they are for 1/16" and 1/8" kerf and use different pin holes and should be stamped.  If the setworks is not put together right non of this will work.  Once you learn this you will not be able to saw lumber without it.

Ventryjr

I played with it all day today.  Cut a bunch of mostly the right size lumber. 2x12s-2x4s.  A bunch came off thick or thin due to my math  ???   

M. I didn't know about the notches! I'll play around next weekend and figure it out. Thank you. 

Also any reason I shouldn't make a metal cover to go over the friction belt / carriage pulley area? Seems like a lot of unnecessary saw dust shooting on it. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

moodnacreek

V. I am so glad you are sawing, So many who start a circle mill give up. It does not always go easy with your first mill. The thing to do maybe to box everything on top in and have hinged doors and a way to lift the whole thing off when needed. Another project. I am also glad you are telling me you messed up some sets because we are going to fix that by learning the notches. You will be glad you have a Lane. Doug

Ventryjr

Doug. I spent the dropping trees and loading them onto the mill. So I figured out a full stroke with the set handle cuts a 1" board so the setworks move 1-1/4" per full stroke. So after making an initial cut I would pull a "full stroke" then count the clicks back and pull forward an additional inch to cut 2x lumber. Is this the right method? I was using the scale still to double check. The majority of my boards came off correct tho.  I meant to snag a picture of the setworks. Maybe next weekend  ;)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moodnacreek

Quote from: Ventryjr on June 14, 2021, 05:55:14 AM
Doug. I spent the dropping trees and loading them onto the mill. So I figured out a full stroke with the set handle cuts a 1" board so the setworks move 1-1/4" per full stroke. So after making an initial cut I would pull a "full stroke" then count the clicks back and pull forward an additional inch to cut 2x lumber. Is this the right method? I was using the scale still to double check. The majority of my boards came off correct tho.  I meant to snag a picture of the setworks. Maybe next weekend 
You are learning faster than I did. You shoot for the numbers that you know and add or subtract clicks to get what you need. It is all based on the 1 " pull to stop [5 clicks, 1 for the kerf] Example: you need to get to 12", go to notch, which would wind up 12 1/4", and go back 1 click to get 12". If you stayed in the notch and wanted 12 1/2 you would come forward 1 click. When I was learning I would always forget the last board did not need a kerf.

Plankton

On our mill which I've only run a couple of times but off beared plenty. always run by the notches and use numbered board as a guide sometimes the smaller notches (I think there 1/16)  will be halfway in or whatever just set back half a click to get where you need to be and go from there. Handle just needs a little bump one way or the other just something to keep in mind. They are speedy so don't gig back so fast as to run part of the carriage off the tracks hahhah happened to me.

Once you get a handle on it they are the best set works out there imo. Very fast and accurate.

That's the extent of my knowledge on them which isn't much but congrats on the new mill!

Plankton

Also on ours you can change I think it's a pin to make the full pull a few different sizes. Ours is always left at 1 1/4 like you have setup now.

Ventryjr

What are the center pieces of each dog for? They in/out with the handle one
the back and lock in to notches.  Is it for similar to a toe board on a band mill? Used for holding the log square? 

moodnacreek

Quote from: Ventryjr on June 14, 2021, 12:32:03 PM
What are the center pieces of each dog for? They in/out with the handle one
the back and lock in to notches.  Is it for similar to a toe board on a band mill? Used for holding the log square?
I think you have green mt. dogs, that is the modern ones. [You should see the original ones]  So you might have a dog point with notches in it to hold it when pulled out like for a log.  Keep your eyes open for screw dogs or even a sawyers favorite.  Doug

Ventryjr

I do have pointed L shaped notched dogs, Doug! I am missing one tho. When I bought the mill the dog assembly was broken and only was missing the L shaped dog part. I brazed the cast pieces back together and am waiting for my plasma table to get repaired before I cut a new dog. Also need to figure out something for the sawdust.  It's starting to mound up in a hurry. 

Ventryjr

https://youtu.be/Vjjm4FNDG7M

Everything on the mill seems to be running right except the operator ???  helpful criticisms are welcome!   Thanks for all the help so far fellas! 

Ventryjr

Everything is running pretty smooth.  Just got a saw dust conveyor from a pallet company at auction.  Going to need it soon. Saw dust is piling up in a hurry. Along with a mountain of slab wood.  Probably cut 25 logs so far. Still getting used to the set works and cutting consistent size lumber. 

luap

congratulations on your progress so far. After watching the video of you sawing,I am wondering how the hydraulic pump is mounted on the end of the mandrel? It seemed to have an excessive amount of movement which could be a problem over time. What does the hydraulics power?

moodnacreek

That pump must be for the live log deck and turner if there is one. It is common to shaft mount a hyd. pump or motor ridged to the shaft and chained if it only goes on way or 'wrenched' if it is reversable. This way there is no alienment issues.  That mill needs a screw dog or a sawyers favorite.  When the owner gets used to it and with the logs seen it will go much faster, saw alot of lumber and last a long time.

Ventryjr

It appears the hydraulic pump was setup by the previous.  It has a custom coupler to mate the mandrel and the pump shaft.  It does seems to wobble a bit. I was working on plans to mount it on the frame a use a v belt. But I'm worried about the belt slipping. 
And yes the pump does run the live deck and log turner. They sold at auction separately from the mill and I'm very happy I picked those up as well. 

Doug, I've been keeping my eyes out for another dog to add. They seem a little hard to come by.  :)

moodnacreek

Quote from: Ventryjr on July 07, 2021, 05:58:29 AM
It appears the hydraulic pump was setup by the previous.  It has a custom coupler to mate the mandrel and the pump shaft.  It does seems to wobble a bit. I was working on plans to mount it on the frame a use a v belt. But I'm worried about the belt slipping.
And yes the pump does run the live deck and log turner. They sold at auction separately from the mill and I'm very happy I picked those up as well.

Doug, I've been keeping my eyes out for another dog to add. They seem a little hard to come by.  :)
They are hard to find but they are out there.  When I pull my carriage out [ to put the no. 1 in ] I will have 1 or 2 for sale but they will not be cheap and the forum gets a commission. A lane or chase screw dog would really help you.

Ventryjr

I'm looking for some input, maybe @moodnacreek can help. 

I'm looking to purchase another saw. I found a saw shop w/ a used 60" I can have delivered for ~$1200.  Hammered to my rpm and new carbide bits. The gentleman at the saw shop told me it's a 8 gauge. I'm not sure what gauge I currently have.  I have a 52" right now so I realize I'll have to more the blade guide and splitter. Probably adjust the lead. My current saw bits say 8/9 on them does this mean they would fit on a 8 gauge saw?   Is there any reason I should avoid buying this? Thanks in advance.

And the saw has been running great.  I spent all day shoveling sawdust and stickering 2x8s for the roof. 

moodnacreek

If the saw bits are the same style they will work or at least fit even if they are less kerf. A 60 " saw would want to run slower rpm because it will have more rim speed. I could use a larger saw, in fact I really need one but if i ever get the new mill in I would like to do a top saw instead.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

Ventryjr

Ventryjr

Got moving on a roof for the mill before the weather turns.  I used larch for the posts and I'm using hemlock for the framing lumber 

moodnacreek

Now this is what I like to see!  A roof over the mill not only saves it but allows you to schedule sawing for a rainy day. As I don't saw everyday I try to keep the board end clear and the next order on the log deck. If it is a nice morning with rain coming tomorrow I often work outside when I should be sawing. [why do today what you can put off until tomorrow]      Now when you see and old sawmill covered with a rotten blue tarp you can make a face like I do :(.

Ventryjr

Ventryjr

This green hemlock lumber is significantly heavier then I was anticipating haha.   

thecfarm

Yes it is.
One of my friends has the same feeling.
Had full 2X8's off to the side for a month while I was sawing. My friend was much happier with the weight of the ones that was a month old.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!