Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

Got a couple of years on you MM, I didn't slow down, my body did.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Most of you have seen "Fat Albert" handling logs that were mine to saw and the occasional log that was brought here that needed unloading.  A 1966 Oliver with a 78hp 6 cylinder Waukesha engine. 

He was a genuine monster and there seemingly was no limit what he could pick up and handle.  Well, my slowing down has included finding Fat Albert a new home.

So today he backed himself up onto this lowboy for a trip to his new home, and a good home it will be.  Kinda sad because we will miss the rumble of that engine when it fired off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Somebody got a good deal. Time marches on. tomorrow is a new day. I am sure you will miss it from time to time, but keep looking forward not back. Man, what I would do to get a machine like that around here.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I didn't know you cared! What time is Albert getting here? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

This "slowing down" ain't easy.  I passed off a ~60 mile job this morning and am now agonizing over a 175 mile Cypress job.  When you are accustomed to taking whatever rang the phone and now saying "no" goes against how I built my sawmilling business for the past 20+ years.  Yes, I know what I am gonna do but.... :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

Lynn,
I, too, am slowing down; even though I am 8 years younger and been at it half as long as you have.  I really enjoy converting my clients' logs to lumber, but not every job is a joy.  When I don't enjoy a milling job, I evaluate what it was that was a problem.  It may be something I can easily fix, but sometimes it means a change in business protocols.  Once in awhile there are clients who are turned down for a subsequent appointment.

I used to schedule mobile appointments year round in what, I hoped, was decent weather.  We don't have your temperate weather, after a couple of years of miserable winter conditions jobs, my mobile season is now April through October.  I also schedule no more than one mobile appointment per week during the season.  I am also much more selective about mobile jobs where there are site prep issues, lack of equipment where probably needed, or questionable help available. 

In 2020 (COVID) a couple of months of work were curtailed, I only did 1/3 or the normal number of mobile appointments and yet my yearly volume increased slightly, most of my appointments are here at home.  When it ceases to be fun, I'll just turn the key and walk back up to the house.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

230Dforme

Good afternoon 

Have been enjoying FF for several years,
just watching and learning 
Becoming a bit more involved lately as 
I want to buy a circle mill 
Was a structural steel contractor in Albany NY, just south of the Adirondacks
in upstate NY
In Lake George now doing tree work

Just read the post

You surely don't need advice from me,
that said, I believe that engagement