iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vintage setter

Started by JoshNZ, September 04, 2021, 02:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR

Quote from: JoshNZ on September 26, 2021, 03:58:53 PM
The set blades all went well yesterday anyway, nice consistent surface finishes. I over set one just for experiences sake. Even that went well, though noticeable more horsepower required and thicker kerf. Might've useful in pitchy softwoods?
I would expect you can only go so far with more set to the point it will allow too much sawdust to fall behind and not get expelled from the kerf, but a little extra set should help in pitchy softwoods along with a lube solution to help avoid the pitch from adhering to the blade in the first place.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

JoshNZ

Would running less set in these big Blackwood logs I've been slabbing help at all? (See other thread about 4 bands/one log). Less horsepower required so able to achieve a higher feed rate. Less saw dust collected so gullet capacity might last the width of the cut better?

What problem arises as you run too little set?

JoshNZ

Thought I'd follow this up today, I got a decent sized log on the bed about 36" wide and tried 3 different blades, one I sharpened as per normal, the next I dug a deeper gullet into and the last one I overset, I didn't measure it but it was taking the Micky a bit, felt aggressive just handling it while coiled up.

That was the one that went well anyway, the first two I wasn't overly impressed with, got a bit of chatter and a slight wave at widest part. The last one although left excess sawdust, was dead flat and even a bit quicker. Which isn't what I expected.

I had a follow up question re my first two blades, is this a sign of an under set blade? Photo below.

RAYAR

Quote from: JoshNZ on October 08, 2021, 06:35:13 AM
Thought I'd follow this up today, I got a decent sized log on the bed about 36" wide and tried 3 different blades, one I sharpened as per normal, the next I dug a deeper gullet into and the last one I overset, I didn't measure it but it was taking the Micky a bit, felt aggressive just handling it while coiled up.

That was the one that went well anyway, the first two I wasn't overly impressed with, got a bit of chatter and a slight wave at widest part. The last one although left excess sawdust, was dead flat and even a bit quicker. Which isn't what I expected.
Looks like more set for that type of wood (softwood?) and large diameter log works quite well. I would say the extra kerf is allowing the blade to run truer without being deflected by sawdust build-up in the long kerf. The blade has the room it needs to run a flat cut. Just wondering about how much more set you put into that band, about how much wider is the kerf?

(edit: went back and read the thread you mentioned, seems like it's an abrasive hardwood.)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

JoshNZ

Probably over .03", enough that my eye could see the difference and hands could definitely feel it just holding it coiled up. Can also see the kerf is wider with naked eye. I'll find the blade and measure it.

Softwood this one yup but it did show similar signs as the big hardwood I sawed. Looking forward to playing around with this some more.

What's the max set you can run before you run into a problem, and what is that problem? That photo with the fuzzed up teeth makes me think they've been fouled up in the cut and rubbing.

RAYAR

Quote from: JoshNZ on October 08, 2021, 03:40:25 PM
Probably over .03", enough that my eye could see the difference and hands could definitely feel it just holding it coiled up. Can also see the kerf is wider with naked eye. I'll find the blade and measure it.

Softwood this one yup but it did show similar signs as the big hardwood I sawed. Looking forward to playing around with this some more.

What's the max set you can run before you run into a problem, and what is that problem? That photo with the fuzzed up teeth makes me think they've been fouled up in the cut and rubbing.
I don't know myself yet as to max set, but I can see where the extra set you're trying is giving you flatter cuts because the wider kerf is allowing the blade to not be deflected by more limited clearance of build-up around the blade, especially in a wide cut. Yes, it will take a little more power to cut a wider kerf, but the outcome is likely worth it. Is it just the very large logs you're having flatness of cut with or is the factory set fine on your smaller logs? It would also depend on species of tree you're cutting too.
96 Polaris Sportsman 500

JoshNZ

I went to .035" on a band today, that went quite well too, maybe my experimental one was a little more than that again. It doesn't seem to matter what set I use on smaller logs, they all go pretty good as long as it's sharp.

Only thing I notice is engine working a bit harder and more sawdust left behind. That will certainly be the plain of attack going forward with these wide logs I'm slabbing.

JoshNZ

Quote from: JoshNZ on October 08, 2021, 03:40:25 PM
I can go ahead and answer my own question, for any future juniors like myself wondering about the same question.
I found a band set to almost .040" today, I think it was partly experimenting and partly by accident.
Giant kerf and I could see sawdust still falling out the back of the kerf for a moment after the spine had dissappeared inside the log. Photos showing sawdust comparison.

And the surface finish sucks lol you might as well use a chainsaw

.025-.030" seems about as much as I get away with in the cypress.

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, maybe, but that looks more like one tooth is set way to large.  Been there, done that with only .020 set.  People pay extra for rustic wood ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JoshNZ

I've sawn with a rogue tooth before too, my feed rate was higher than that and the stripes would be further apart. It's not even stripes up close it just looks like torn wood lol

Stephen1

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on September 14, 2021, 06:10:58 AM
Setting is so much more painful that sharpening! (in my view)
I cant wait to purchase an automatic unit  ;D

Cheers
Justin
I just used to buy more blades,rather than use the old single tooth setter and drag sharpener. 
The absolute best money I spent was the BMS 250 sharpener and setter. CBN 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

JoshNZ

I go through way too many blades cutting walnut to do that. No kerf clearer and dirty/hard wood.

I put this blade in the truck tray yesterday to send a message to the other blades about what happens when they don't do their job...  :D

Actually the first of this bunch I've had in circulation forever failed, finally. I spotted a crack in it before it let go.

Thank You Sponsors!