iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodlandmills HM126 Throwing Blade with Any Lube

Started by Riversedge, September 25, 2021, 09:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversedge

Anytime I use any type of blade lube on my HM126 the mill will throw the blade. As long as I cut with a dry blade the saw cut well until the blade begins to get HOT. Then I have to stop and wait 7 til the blade cools down.

I have tried water, water and dawn, windshield washer fluid, and diesel with no luck. 

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,

barbender

Are you getting a lot of pitch build up? A blade should not get hot, even without lube. Think of it more as blade cleaner, than blade lube. If you're running dry, and cutting sappy, pitchy wood like pine, the pitch can start to build up. That will cause friction, and that will heat your blade up very quickly.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

A couple reason why mills throw blades, worn v belts, bad bearings, maybe the tracking is off.  It should track the same if you turn it backwards by hand.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

VB-Milling

If you give the saw full throttle and don't cut anything, does the blade get hot?

If that happens, it is most certainly a tracking, blade tension or belt tension issue.

Is this a 2020 and beyond version of the HM126?  Have you gotten the email back in July about the updated blade tension procedure from Woodland Mills?
HM126

Iwawoodwork

Are the blade guides  adjusted correctly? are they scrubbing the blade?   Are you re tensioning the blade after cutting for a while? Does this happen on multiple blades?
To throw the blade either there is not enough tension, the alignment is off, the V belts on the band wheel are bad, the guides out of adjustment, or maybe a shaft bearing going bad  (happened to me).

Riversedge

So this is a 2020 with the upgrad3d tensioning system. All belts have been replaced and blade guides have been tuned to spec. Tracking is perfect per the manual and all the bearing are smooth and silent. This only happens when adding liquid to the blade.

I was thinking about this today and am wondering if it could be an issue of too much water, windshield washer fluid etc? This is the on
Y thing I haven't tested yet. 

Riversedge

I should add that it has happened with the blades from WOodland Mill and Woodmizer.

KenMac

could be wrong here but seems like I remember a similar issue on here earlier that was caused by too much water or whatever lube was being used. The Search function may help getting this resolved. I apologize if I'm wrong here. Good luck.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

barbender

The only time I've had blades jump off from lube was when I was using diesel for some really pitchy wood. I can run water as fast as the gravity system will let it run (Woodmizer LT40)
Too many irons in the fire

kelLOGg

I use diesel and have never thrown a blade unless I have forgotten to tension it. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

KenMac

Am I right in thinking that wheels with v belts are the ones that have had issues like this? All Cook's have crowned steel wheels so it must be related to the v belts somehow.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

ladylake

Do these new belts ride above the steel on the wheels? Some new ones are shorter than they used to be.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Try slowing the lube drip rate, a drop every few seconds, or a little more, see what works best!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Riversedge

Thanks to everyone for the input. I figured it out! 

Turns out that the blade tracking was off just enough that the blade was entering the log at an angel to the face of the log instead of straight onto the face. This then caused the blade to grab the log like a pick axe and hold the log rather than cutting it. This jerked the blade off the saw. This saw especially so if there was a knot. This also eliminated the oscillation of the saw head that I was experiencing. 

Thanks again.

VB-Milling

Really glad you got everything working as it should
HM126

DanMc

Quote from: Riversedge on October 09, 2021, 09:39:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I figured it out!

Turns out that the blade tracking was off just enough that the blade was entering the log at an angel to the face of the log instead of straight onto the face. This then caused the blade to grab the log like a pick axe and hold the log rather than cutting it. This jerked the blade off the saw. This saw especially so if there was a knot. This also eliminated the oscillation of the saw head that I was experiencing.

Thanks again.
A lower pitch angle can help to reduce/eliminate the "grabbing"..
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Thank You Sponsors!